FOR THE LOVE OF JIM, FIX THE SPAWNS!

Call of Duty Ghosts Wii U

Re: FOR THE LOVE OF JIM, FIX THE SPAWNS!

in reply to M4GNUM

I'm pushing this issue over to the folks who work on that stuff.

in reply to A_Trey_U

Thanks, can you also push for connection quality based games like in previous COD titles and also to show what our connection quality is?

Level 13

in reply to Ronin2012

Just go to options and press the button that corresponds with the text "system information" and look at bandwidth. 3000 is the highest speed possible so lets say you have a 2000 +, you are less likely to cause lag as host, find matches faster, and maybe find more matches then most people receive.

Level 13

in reply to GamebroCrazy

Bandwidth (in kbps) is in general not the bottleneck anymore

(unless you are using dial-up with a14k4 modem)

The latency (in ms; can be measured via the ping command) is the bottleneck.

If you are connected close to your providers big pipe to the internet you will

have a lower latency (i.e. faster traffic) and experience less lag.

If there are many hubs (i.e. a hub in your building, your street, your zip code area, your city)

between you and the big pipe you will experience more lag.

Level 6

in reply to OFC-Giorgio_1967
What you say is true, but not precisely why the game lags.  I have a 10ms ping time and only a 725kbs or so upload. Ghosts is unplayable online because of lag. In BO2 if you go below 650kbs upload you won't be able to join a match.  For those of us on the lower threshold of upload speed the game is made unplayable.  If you've got 3mbs upload - you won't notice hardly any lag. Ask Nintendon't and a few of those other guys with screaming connections.
Level 9
Highlighted

in reply to LastShadowCOD

Like I've said for a while now, there are some players that are in the butter zone - great bandwidth and great ping. These are the players with higher than average KDRs. Some have great bandwidth (like me), but horrible ping at times (like me). That causes lag. Some have horrible bandwidth (like you) but great ping (like you). That causes lag. But with the player-host system you are dependent not only on your own connectivity, but the connectivity of other players - this is why I lag the most. I stopped playing last night because the lag got so bad. It was like a bad Laurel and Hardy show where I was trying to simply go through a doorway, but the lag made it so I kept stuttering backwards and running into either side of the door. C'mon ya dumb game, I just want to go through the door!

What's weird is I didn't see lag at all for 5 days after launch. Now it's atrocious.

What I hope to see with dedicated servers is a leveling of the playing field to where the "competition" is evenly based. What I still don't understand about dedicated servers, though, is what happens with foreigners since dedicated servers will only be in North America. What happens when they join? During the day, there are all sorts of French and German players in the lobbies, which affects the connection.

Level 23

in reply to M4GNUM

Another issue with foreign players is there isn't enough local players because the game is new.

If they can address the spawning and connection issues that would help, but more Christmas noobs would help as well.

Level 9

in reply to LastShadowCOD

What do you mean with a "ping time". Ping to who/which server?

The time it takes for a network packet to travel from your wiiu to the host is

measured in ms by e.g. the ping program and is the relevant "ping time"

The "ping time" [ms] from your device (pc/console) via your router to the gateway server of your

ISP is an indicator of the latency between you and your provider.

The "ping time" between you and a (e.g. speedtest.net) server in a particular city/state/country

is an indicator of the latency between you and that server.

In the game your wiiu has a connection to the wiiu that runs as host

(or hopefully in the future a dedicated host in the cloud).

It would be nice to see that "ping time"  being displayed in the lobby for each player.

Only a "few" years ago in 1996 that number was shown in games like e.g. Quake.

BTW a host with too low (incoming or outgoing) bandwidth will be flooded

with network traffic and a lot of network packets will be dropped i.e. lost

and yielding lag (but let's assume such a host would never be selected as a host due to its

limited bandwidth).

Level 6

in reply to OFC-Giorgio_1967

Yeah, but you're missing my point. I'm 3 hops out to the internet including my router - 3 hops - which is pretty good for a retail connection. Even if I was sitting on the internet in 1 hop - all things being equal and assuming that COD chooses the best host - I still have barely enough bandwidth (pipe) to play online. For BO2 - that limit is somewhere in 650kbs upload range and for Ghosts it looks to be just a little more. Even if you have the fastest ping time in the world - even if you are the closest ping time to the host - you won't have a good experience because you can't push through 750kbs into a 650kbs pipe. It gets worse if you have downstream shares that are eating up your hop traffic as well.

We've tested it here several times - it's easy - start a youtube video uploading (or something that goes downstream) and try to play online. If you don't have the bandwidth you can't play.

Really, what Activision should do, is work in network preference as well in deciding what lobby you enter. There was talk on the BO2 board about locale and geo preference - which doesn't work because the guy next door could be on an entirely different network.

Level 9

in reply to GamebroCrazy

3,000 isn't the highest possible - I'm consistently connecting at 4,100. Which is great since it would bounce between 1,500 and 2,800 in BO2.

But yeah, it's all about the ping like Giorgio said.

Level 23

Studios