How to get Wiimote users to buy CoD: Ghosts. (A simple solution to any dev that visits here)

Call of Duty Ghosts Wii U

How to get Wiimote users to buy CoD: Ghosts. (A simple solution to any dev that visits here)

Black Ops II became a wasteland for people trying to use the Wiimote seriously because Treyarch didn't bother to properly playtest with it (you couldn't adjust sensitivity and the cursor jumped across the screen while aiming) and Duel Analog controllers enjoyed the most powerful aim assist of any Call of Duty game to date, which gave them an overwhelming advantage over the already gimped Wiimote. The end result was predictable as traditional controllers managed to outclass wiimote users at every level outside of the top.

Don't repeat this mistake.

Personally I like to see a return to lag shooting over lag compensation, but the deal breaker for me (and a lot of other pertinacious people who stuck with the Wiimote.) is to see the same sort of system from Black Ops II be used for Ghosts. So please, make sure the wiimote is properly tested to function and reduce Aim assist, at least for the WiiU version since there are multiple controller types as opposed to the 360/PS4 and a proper balance needs to be stuck.

Thank you.

Level 8
32 REPLIES

Re: How to get Wiimote users to buy CoD: Ghosts. (A simple solution to any dev that visits here)

in reply to Treize

Treyarch did patch in some cursor/sensitivity adjustments, and made the Wii remote controls tolerable after a fashion.  Keep in mind that BO2 was a launch game; Treyarch had plenty of practice on crunching games over to the Wii.  Not so much with the Wii U, and trying to balance in IR/pointer controls with the DA (and yes, its aimbot) that was common on the 360 and PS3 for years.  I still wish for greater balance, mind you, and I hope they achieve it this time around.

Personally, I'd just like to see the reticle/spray cone shrunk down a bit.  DA doesn't just have sticky aim, but a very tight spray cone.  Even with the laser sight, you could get some pretty wild spray with the Wiimote.  Instead of working to the Wiimote's strength (hipfire), they patched in some aim assist (for acquiring a target then going straight to ADS).  I don't need stronger sticky aim, just a narrower cone so that my bullets shoot where I'm actually aiming.

(Plus, ridiculous lag shooting and wandering hit boxes are a thing of the past, man.  No one wants to go back to that.)

Level 1

Re: How to get Wiimote users to buy CoD: Ghosts. (A simple solution to any dev that visits here)

in reply to EvilTw1n

They patched it a month after it was launched and there were still problems with it until the final patch.

It wasn't even a launch game, it was a launch window game. And that doesn't give them the excuse to impliment it so poorly.

Aim assist needs to be reduced greatly in ghosts for the Wiimote to be viable again since the game aims for you with the normal controller.

Also after trying both lag shooting and lag comp, I greatly prefer to pull the target, rather than unload a magainze into someone and not get a single hit marker as they turn around to kill me or run behind cover and die of a heart attack over a second later.

Level 8

in reply to Treize

I bought BO2 the day I bought my Wii U.  Not sure how you don't think of it as a launch game.  But there are still problems with BO2; you'll never see me saying it's a flawless game.

I agree they need to do something to balance out the input schemes, but they aren't going to ditch DA aim assist, and I doubt they'll substantially weaken it compared to the other versions of the game (also consider that as this is an IW game they'll be porting this time, 3arch may not have free reign to change whatever they please).  The default scheme for Wii U is going to be twin sticks, just like the other console versions, so we're probably stuck with the same sort of aimbot as the other console versions.
What they don't need to do is try to shoehorn a twin-stick aimbot onto IR (it works for DA because the reticle is always dead center and can "stick" easily; that isn't the case when you're able to aim anywhere on the screen).  That's why I'd simply be for 3arch narrowing the reticle/spray cone for the Wiimote; it's too easy to aim correctly and watch the bullets paint the walls around your target.  The hipfire spread is just too wide.  More efficacious hipfire is a prime advantage of pointer controls, but not in its current state.

Can't say I prefer the "die three steps later" lag of BO on the Wii, but YMMV.

Level 1

in reply to EvilTw1n

EvilTw1n wrote:

Treyarch did patch in some cursor/sensitivity adjustments, and made the Wii remote controls tolerable after a fashion.  Keep in mind that BO2 was a launch game; Treyarch had plenty of practice on crunching games over to the Wii.  Not so much with the Wii U, and trying to balance in IR/pointer controls with the DA (and yes, its aimbot) that was common on the 360 and PS3 for years.  I still wish for greater balance, mind you, and I hope they achieve it this time around.

Personally, I'd just like to see the reticle/spray cone shrunk down a bit.  DA doesn't just have sticky aim, but a very tight spray cone.  Even with the laser sight, you could get some pretty wild spray with the Wiimote.  Instead of working to the Wiimote's strength (hipfire), they patched in some aim assist (for acquiring a target then going straight to ADS).  I don't need stronger sticky aim, just a narrower cone so that my bullets shoot where I'm actually aiming.

(Plus, ridiculous lag shooting and wandering hit boxes are a thing of the past, man.  No one wants to go back to that.)

ok..I sort of agree we should give the benfit of the doubt to 3arc working on the WiiU for 1st time (although I know many things about programming and can't see how much complicated was other than leaving the wiimote setup for the very last moment).

If they wanna sell they have to think in wii-remote players

Level 11

in reply to ichilenozo

With the Wii CODs, they had experience for crunching everything onto the Wii.  But with the Wii U, the porting process had to be far different, as they were bringing over the core 360/PS3 game intact, not chopping it down for a completely different type of system. I'd guess that's probably why they cocked up the cursor adjustments (if they were just cutting and pasting code, that wouldn't have happened).

But they absolutely do need to make us IR users happy.  There's enough of us.

Level 1

in reply to EvilTw1n

They could easily port the settings from the Wii versions of the game (Which all used the same engine FYI.) to BO2, there was no excuse for that negligence.

They also need to have proper balance between Wiimote and Controllers since it's currently completely in favor for Controllers at the moment. It's like a mouse and keyboard user consistantly losing to person using a controller when they have equal skill, it shouldn't happen.

Also the WiiU is a special case so you can't just port over the aim assist settings from another system due to the fact that the WiiU is the only console that has two seperate controller types. In the 360/PS3 everyone had access to the OP aim assist, not so much in the WiiU version.

Level 8

in reply to Treize

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST, then TEST AGAIN!

Level 21

in reply to Treize

I wouldn't mind nerfed aim assist as long as they find a nice balance between BO2 and MW3. In MW3 there was too little assist which made the controls awkward, and BO2 was a little too much with it going through walls.

I know you Wiimoters hate assist but DA controls need it to an extent to work smoothly.

Level 37

in reply to nintendon_t

nintendon\'t wrote:

I wouldn't mind nerfed aim assist as long as they find a nice balance between BO2 and MW3. In MW3 there was too little assist which made the controls awkward, and BO2 was a little too much with it going through walls.

I know you Wiimoters hate assist but DA controls need it to an extent to work smoothly.

We don't hate it.  I just want balance.  I don't want them to nerf it too much.  Just tone it down a tad and remove the BS crap that I mentioned in the other thread.  At the very least remove the BS.  I'll be fine if they just do that. 

Level 33

Studios