I am looking to buy a headset. Need advice!

Call of Duty Ghosts Wii U

I am looking to buy a headset. Need advice!

So, I want to buy a headset that is supported by the Wii U. Does anyone here use a decent one that is compatible with the Wii U?

Level 2
19 REPLIES

Re: I am looking to buy a headset. Need advice!

in reply to Happykamp

Pretty much everything non-usb is a goer:

- Iphone/blackberry/android headsets

- PC headset with 2x 3.5mm plugs (with a two buck adapter)

- Headphones + two buck adapter + two buck microphone (ebay and china, a match made in heaven)

- Dedicated WiiU headset (but why would you?)

I've tried the turtlebeach Wii U headsets and for the money they're crap compared to using a PC headset with the adapter. I use a Gamecom 701 i picked up for cheap, they kill the "official" offerings.

Wii U: Black Ops 2 voice chat solutions - YouTube

Level 1

in reply to Happykamp

Buy an Xbox 360 heaset like the Turtle Beach X12 and use this adapter so you can get voice chat with it on the Wii U:

http://www.amazon.com/Malcom-Distributors-Female-Adapter-Enabled/dp/B003LLEG00/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qi...

All the official Wii U stuff is garbage. Stay away.

Level 37

in reply to nintendon_t

So, all I do is plug in the headset into the adapter, and then into the gamepad, then it should work?

Level 2

in reply to Happykamp

Happykamp wrote:

So, all I do is plug in the headset into the adapter, and then into the gamepad, then it should work?

Yes. 

Level 33

in reply to Happykamp

An Xbox headset is slightly different, you hook it up to your Wii U's red/white audio cables and you hook up the adapter cable to the gamepad for voice chat. If you're using HDMI, just plug your old Wii AV cable in the Wii U and go into the system settings to set audio to come out of it. Also on Ghosts/BO2 make sure the audio setting is set to TV only.

It's better than official  Wii U stuff since you get louder and better quality audio and it works with Wii U games that don't support sending audio to the gamepad like Windwaker since you're getting audio straight from your Wii U.

Level 37

in reply to nintendon_t

Alrighty, I ordered the adapter and the headset. Thanks for the great advice, man! Can't wait to coordinate better in these games!

Level 2

in reply to Happykamp

I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force NLa. Twenty bucks and free shipping from eBay. It works great. Headset sound quality is good and the mic quality is great. You could get this and that and an adapter thingy and blah blah blah, and you'll have more money into it than twenty bucks and prolly won't work any better... or even as well. My ONLY objection is the cord length is just a tiny bit too short if you're playing with ProController or Wiimote 'cause you have to plug into the GamePad. I've been using it for a year (since launch day of WiiU) and it still works and looks like new.

Level 7

in reply to Whack-a-newbie

You have no idea what you're talking about "doesn't work as well"...lmao, the NLA only works with games that support sending audio to the gamepad. Xbox headset works with EVERYTHING including stuff like Youtube/Netflix since you're getting audio straight from the system.

Plus the NLA headset is ass too, I tried it a few months ago and it's just so faint, even with BO2 on Super Crunch and max volume on the gamepad it's super low. It's good if you just want voice chat but useless if you want to use sound to  your advantage with stuff like footsteps.

Xbox headsets are pretty cheap now a days too, I got my Turtle Beach X12s for $50 and the adapter was 2 bucks...couldn't be happier lol.

Level 37

in reply to nintendon_t

I read a couple user reviews of the NLa that reported the same thing you mention... low volume. I guess the planets aligned for me because I was very satisfied with the volume. It's definitely not going to make my ears bleed, but it's sufficient for hearing footsteps, the direction of a suppressed gun, whatever. Maybe it helps that I don't have anything else going on when I play. No noisy kids or blaring radio or whatever.

Anyway, as you mention, it's all about how what you expect out of a headset and how much you're willing to pay to come close to your expectation. For me, the ability to be semi-wireless (connected to the wireless Gamepad) was a priority.

Level 7

Studios