A lot of Hate for HEADSETS in here since the patch...

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: A lot of Hate for HEADSETS in here since the patch...

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

Me too. Its only a hearing advantage compared to someone without using DSS, obviously. It doesn't guarantee success nor do I see it as unfair. I use them because I want the best experience I can get. I don't deny it helps me hear enemy footsteps. Thats an advantage I've been using since WaW SnD. Soundwhore for life.

Level 75

in reply to iHattoriHanzo0

Today, I played against two opponents who runs around together on Seige. I kept killing both of them and then I heard one of them said "How does he always know where we are?" I just smiled and looked at my DSS.

Level 35

in reply to JSlayer211

JSlayer211 wrote:

I didn't play with headsets for the life of MW3 and BO2, yet a friend of mine gave me a pair of his after he quit gaming, X12's. I started using them for the first time in Ghosts. At first I didn't think headsets made that big of a difference, but I have to say it was like playing a completely different game. The noise cancellation and improved hearing of the sounds were just like going super saiyan with heightened senses or something. My k/d immediately improved overnight, but that doesn't say much as I am only at like a 1.4 or something low. I was getting higher streaks much more consistently and winning much more of my gun fights from having the jump on someone coming from a particular direction. I flanked better as I knew which directions enemies were at. I could tell if they were above or below. What I was experiencing wasn't just a matter of sound, it was more like a sonar. People are saying that it slows down the pace of the game, but it worked exactly the opposite for me. I was chasing those footsteps nonstop. I was constantly going to where enemies were at and engaging them. That being said, I immediately put Dead Silence on every single class I had in the game. That speaks to how pivotal this setup can be to victory imo. Is it mandatory to use it? Nope. Does it help? Absolutely. Is it broken? I don't think so.

I think the combination of my playing styles has made me a better player. Through my earlier cod titles, I had to work heavily on situational awareness, map knowledge, spawn points, and etc. Now this has just added a new dimension to the gameplay that I had completely overlooked.

I don't want to have my gaming based on the lowest common denominator though. The comparison of this to SD and HD TV's is spot on. Target acquisition on SD TV is horrendously difficult whereas HD I can spot even the slightest thing out of place in a distance. There are those that want to compete on a higher level and if that includes a more immersive experience and using more than just your thumbs and eyes then so be it. if you don't want to buy headsets, that's fine. Just don't be mad if someone that has some had the upper hand on you. The same that you can't get mad if you can hardly make out enemies on your SD TV and the guy on his HD TV can.

Absolutely spot on with that post Bud...

Could not agree with you more...

Level 13

in reply to JSlayer211

Funny thing is I can see enemies across stonehaven easily with my sd tv even if they use incog and I use a thermal or tracker.  go figure hdtv still not really needed to do well or have a good game and my eyes are far from being in good shape anymore at my age.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

trialstardragon wrote:

Funny thing is I can see enemies across stonehaven easily with my sd tv even if they use incog and I use a thermal or tracker.  go figure hdtv still not really needed to do well or have a good game and my eyes are far from being in good shape anymore at my age.

You can see and hear enemies cross map with a SDTV and no headset, yet you still complain that headsets and HDTVs are unfair technology?

Level 13

in reply to trialstardragon

The argument really isn't entirely about whether you can make it out or not but also the ease of doing so. Why strain your eyes doing something on a SD TV that would be easier to me on a HD TV? Also all SD TV's aren't created equal. You seem like a reasonable intelligent person so I am sure you have tweaked your settings etc. to your optimal preference, but everyone's SD TV isn't the same. Your SD TV sounds like a flat screen, while some are not. I don't really understand arguing the benefits of SD vs HD as it would seem obvious. Is SD gaming possible? Yes. Is it optimal? No. The same goes for playing with or without headsets.

Level 18
Highlighted

in reply to JSlayer211

Yep.  I couldn't game for too long with my old 32 inch LCD TV as I game at arm's length from the screen and the glare made me tired.  Had a few changes in my room and I have been using a gaming monitor (LCD technology) and I was spotting players earlier than on my old screen.  This was during BO2.

Level 31

Studios