Get back to basics and make COD great again!

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: Get back to basics and make COD great again!

in reply to lewdmouth

oh well.

Level 20

in reply to lewdmouth

Bag to tha Choppa !!!

I play more squads modes to avoid any lag issues even though they arent that bad on my side. All the COD games play pretty fine overall to me.

But playing Extinction or Zombies is too creepy for me And way too repetitive. Every single new game you play starts you right off at the beginning.

Level 72
Highlighted

in reply to lewdmouth

And BTW you mentioned before that you would never "purchase another game from ACtivision ever". Well sound like you bought it there.

So why would you be so uppity on a game that doesnt have dedicated servers that you RENTED ?

Level 72

in reply to lewdmouth

I'm seeing a player who lives in the present who recognizes that to "progress", you have to... ya know... move forward... away from *points back* that

What is with this CoD 4 fanboying? Best CoD to date? Really? It had glitches and exploits that NEVER were addressed in its lifetime - to the point it felt like the devs, IW, were playing a sick joke and we the players were the suckers

I'm not saying it wasn't a good Call of Duty, it certainly was, but it there are a couple of towering elements within any game that can, by itself, completely mar the experience. The developers were 4's biggest problem, why? because they didn't appear to care half the time. Glitches found, reported, put up online from captured videos; what does IW do? Oh, let's focus an entire patch on gun balance, which wasn't even really an issue... are you serious? Minor hotfixes after two months of constant glitch and exploit complaints, and you ONLY address weapon mechanics? Yeah, haha, funny. The game itself was well done, good experience, started to become a bit more sim like, but not too much (not like Battlefield by any means), and it was a good experience...

oh, right up until someone killed you from under the map... or hacked a lobby and maxed everyone's prestige... or couldn't die no matter what you threw at them

yeah, that stuff was never addressed except on very small scales

CoD 4 was overshadowed by World at War, which was topped by MW2... which once again was a great made game with a few minor problems... oh, and it was made by IW, so we had glitches and exploits that went unfixed for 7 bloody patches, oh and cheaters that went unpunished for almost the entire year - another great title ruined by one thing... the developers

two great CoD's, both made by the creators of CoD, that would have been the BEST CoD's... if patch and post-production support was done by literally anyone else but the people that made it... I won't continue down the path, but it has ups and downs

Here we have Ghosts, the follow up to MW3, a game that couldn't live up to either of its predecessors in terms of game mechanics (it was also like taking 5 steps backwards after Black Ops... sorry fanboys) or support... actually, I'm pretty sure as many patches and fixes as it did get, MW3 was about as confused in terms of a supported CoD as possible... I felt like one month they were concerned deeply with known cheaters/hackers, and a few major match breaking glitches... then the next month, when something new and major showed up and caused netcode and glitch problems, the only thing support was concerned with was gun balance and continually nerfing weapons that by the end of MW3 were worthless in Hardcore modes, and those that used them in Core modes never got a single kill again short of a freaking knife or equipment kill...

Ghosts is a huge step forward from MW3, but again it suffers one major issue... okay, technically two... its spawn system is complete, utter, total GARBAGE... and the devs KNOW IT... it's taken them this long to admit it to themselves (which they knew what it was going to be like before it dropped in stores) and finally it's going to be addressed... at least I hope... Ghosts is another good Call of Duty, it really is, but the experience.. like the experience of EVERY IW developed CoD, is marred by crap support and a massive mechanical problem within the multiplayer system...

do I honestly expect the spawns to be properly functional, or... God help us... sector crafted like BO2's were? No, by no means, this isn't a developer that shows us they give a damn... they'll tell us they do, but any dev does that.. hell, any publisher does that to defend their dev... but here's the thing, TELLING us you care and it'll all be fixed means zilch... you're only remembered by what you do or fail to do, not by the things you say

And before anyone attacks BO2's spawning, I'm one of the people that understood how it worked.. it was sector based across the map, if the majority of your team was in a sector, no enemy could spawn there: PERIOD. When your team started getting spawn killed, it was because you were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off - no sense of logic or direction.. you got exactly what you earned with that spawn system, killed!

The point of all this is to express that hanging on to the past, especially with those rose colored goggles, will get you left just there... in the past... and do you know what belongs in the past? Fond memories.

I agree that some minor elements from the past should be preserved, but for progress to be made - the old must be culled so the new can spring forth and we can decide if it makes the grade or gets cut... it is a process. If you wish to fall back into those fond memories, you can purchase one of those old games, or pull it off the shelf, and immerse yourself once again. It will never be the same as it used to be, as you remember it, but it reminds you - strongly in a lot of cases - why things have changed... I loved World at War, loved it, and sometimes I pop it in and play a match with a smile.. it was simple and nostalgic, but the mechanics (though outstanding back in 08) have been completely upgraded with the Black Ops series.. Treyarch took what made the old good and remolded and reinvented their CoD's, which is why they are simply better crafted games overall... all CoD's have hickups and problems, don't get me wrong (the netcode in BO2 was trash, complete trash), but the overall experience I've had with Call of Duty games... has been FAR better with Treyarch ones.. I actually don't favor them over IW, they just produce CoD games I don't get uber frustrated with before the lifetime of the game is spent with the release of the next.. THIS CoD is a rare execption for IW and me.. I am completely impressed by Ghosts, shocked even that IW went from the ugly mess of MW3 to THIS... I suspect they actually took some pointers from their sister developer when redesigning the engine this time around.. the 3Arc IW Engine modifications have always been superior... but this game has its problems, like all the others in this franchise... specifically, the spawns and lack of elevated response from support.. but I didn't expect every major element of CoD games to be done correctly, and... I was right lol

Level 20

in reply to EJKHunter

Even though it was a long wall of text I agree with most of it. Now I know what my posts feel like from the other side Nice post.

Treyarch does seem to make a better game overall to me.

But Blops 1 and 2 were still the best if I base my opinions off of when I religiously played it.

Wrath of Khan for example was a great movie but watching after watching the new Superman or Pacific Rim ? Going back only tastes good for a few minutes.

Level 72

in reply to lewdmouth

lewdmouth wrote:

I guess you want to be part of the group that goes down with the sinking ship. Good luck with that,

Of course not. Like you, I don't think COD is heading in the right direction but do you really think that rehashing COD4 is the solution to COD's problems?

You change very little with the COD formula....you'll have the gaming community complain about how COD developers are being lazy and not creative enough in which players may eventually move on from the franchise.

You change too much with the COD formula...chances are you may have a game that isn't COD and could eventually end the franchise

It's a lose/lose situation for COD developers so they have to try to balance it out by trying to add something new but not lose aspects of what makes COD unique from other FPS.

I brought this video up in another thread but you might find this insightful:

Level 51

in reply to MadMike2099

I don't think they should return to the basics but instead find all of the good qualities of the classics and implement that into their multiplayer meaning nothing new gets remove but good quality items get added. Also the only thing child like in Call of Duty is the removal of blood and gore and flashy camos that's it more customization options isn't child like at all. Black Ops 2 had child like camos while Ghosts seems like they are trying to be more mature.

Level 18

in reply to MadMike2099

MadMike2099 wrote:

I remember when COD used to be a blast to play. COD4 was where it all started for me and I have to say still remains the most fun I've had in the entire series. Sure it had its flaws but they were simple fixes. The overall experience has yet to be duplicated in any other COD to date. Subsequent titles have had some interesting mechanic changes but continued to move away from the greatness of COD4. With the release of Ghosts I feel really let down by what this game has become and it will be the last COD I purchase until they get back to basics. Below I offer my opinion for getting back to basics:

1. Return to the 3,5,7 killstreak loadout

2. Minimize the number of perks and keep them simple

4. Focus on intelligent map design rather than re-skins. Again, keep it simple

7. Actually release a beta

8. Think of the consumer as more than a moron

12. Focus on Multiplayer far more than Singleplayer. After all it's the bread and butter of COD

Agree with these and would add:

1. Do not allow them to recycle in one life.

4. Personally have no issue with Ghosts' map design. I do agree with the POV in general.

7. As long as the community treats it as a beta and not a demo.

MadMike2099 wrote:

3. Dedicated servers, no more lag comp

5. Return to the fast paced "arcade style" shooter that used to be COD

6. Don't slap the game together in a few months and call it innovative. Take your time.

9. Make guns with character and balance. Keep the attachments few and simple.

10. Stop catering to the underage fan base (game is MA rated for a reason)

11. Do not copy Battlefield in any way, shape or form. COD is the leader. Act like it

Disagree with these:

3. Until ping is near 0... there is a need for lag comp. Dedis or not.

5. I find the pace and tactics of Ghosts to be like COD4. No need for the term "used" to be. Needs to retain going forward.

6. Dev cycle currently is 2 years.

9. I like having multiple attachments... best gun balance is against it's own characteristics.

10. Online play is not rated in the USA... nothing wrong with kids providing input.

11. You can always improve and sometimes your competition gets things right. (e.g. selective ROF, kit changes iduring a match).

FYI... your points 3 and 11 conflict.

Nice post.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to MadMike2099

Another person that thinks COD4 is "back to basics." COD4 is not the staple of the franchise, it had loads of problems most of which have been nerfed significantly or removed entirely. COD does not need to bring anything back from the Modern Warfare series. 

Level 20

in reply to NoLifeKing32

You are defintely part of a small minority.

Best Call of Duty Games - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com

Level 19

Studios