My 3G connection is lag free

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: My 3G connection is lag free

in reply to frtthunderpants

I'm in the UK on BT Infinity 60 meg d/l and 10 meg u/l. My local ping is 40 ms and my ping to a server in Denver is 140 ms and New York 82 ms. I remember back in the day playing Unreal Touranment which ran on dedicated servers and basically you didn't bother joining a server if the ping was higher than 100 ms. 50 ms or less was the optimum to reduce the inherent lag effect and to be able to compete. So even dedicated servers are not the be all and end all but much better the P2P. I hope we get some servers in the UK/Europe. I hope we get some dedicated servers for the 360 console period.

Add the effect of this type of gaming over P2P and you're screwed if a player pulling host is not local to you and if you pull host yourself then forget it. I remember reading that in MW3 (and other COD games since) that those with good internet connections were penalised so that those with poor internet connections could compete hence the benefit to be gained from throttling the upload speed to try and reverse that penalty to reduce the lag.

With P2P I don't know what the answer is but dedicated servers will provide some improvement.

Level 4
Highlighted

I do believe the answer will be in dedicated servers, and that will sort a lot of issues out, but only God knows when and if those will be rolled out. Till then it seems that playing on 3G may be the only way to go.

Level 2

frtthunderpants wrote:

Hi All

I have suffered like many others with a really poor connection to this game. And would like some advise or comments on what has worked for you?  (apologies for the long post as back ground is needed)

I started playing on my original connection that had my router set up as per activation's help guide, I ran trace routes from my console to MS Xbox test servers and locally, averaged about a 9ms ping, to Europe (6000 miles away averaged about a 150ms ping). This is a tier 1 ISP that gives gaming the highest priority on there network. The lag or lag comp what ever you want to call it made this game un-playable!!!! PS I was chosen as host the majority of times on this connection. (I know this as when i opted out of the game host migration in progress)

My second try was with a second tier ISP rated badly, but gave them a go, got host about the same amount of times, and had a few WTF moments, but overall my experience was better. On my trace routes my average local ping was about 40ms and internationally to Europe about 160ms.

My 3rd test was using my I phone as a hotspot and connecting to it, via my 3 g connection, as we are all aware this is a very unstable connection at the best of times, and my trace route test showed that, local ping was never below 50ms and went up to as high as 90ms, internationally all test where over 200ms.

HERE IS THE SURPRISE ON MY 3G WIFI CONNECTION I OWNED I RAN AROUND WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD COULD TAKE BULLETS TURN AND KILL WHOEVER WAS SHOOTING AT ME, I WAS ALMOST INVINCIBLE COMPARED TO THE WIRED BROADBAND CONNECTIONS.

So what to do if I play on 3G there is one less capable host to this game, so less lobbies to connect to, but the game is way more fun and playable. Has anyone else tried this or had similar experiences, or could someone explain this a little better.

I SO BADLY WANT TO LOVE THIS GAME BUT IW NEEDS TO FIX IT!!!!!!

Shorter: I can't be killed when I lag and I like it.

I'm not trying to be rude but this is what I take away from your post.

• You die too much when the connection is good.
  • You die less when your connection is crap.
  • Therefore, the issue is the connection.

Perhaps you aren't as good as you think you are and die when you should when the connection is at it's best?

They need to up the standard of internet to be able to play. There is no reason why anyone on a 3G connection (or equivalent) should be allowed to play on-line matches.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

It would be a shame to deny the few who genuinely have awful internet, but as more and more people are purposely doing this, I could see what you say being the case. Kudos CoD community, kudos...

Level 31

in reply to Bielsalmighty

Bielsalmighty wrote:

It would be a shame to deny the few who genuinely have awful internet, but as more and more people are purposely doing this, I could see what you say being the case. Kudos CoD community, kudos...

Yeah... it might be a touch harsh but one person's horrid internet can ruin 11 others' experience.

But 3G?

Oy vey.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Tis true. I was quite happy to tolerate the occasional bloke who seemed to be playing out of an igloo, but since people started this whole ruddy destabilisation crap on BO2 its gotten out of hand. Admittedly not as bad as it was at one point, but its still dangerously rife.

Level 31

in reply to RAN Kismet

I never professed to be a top notch player, but have been playing FPS for many years, you get to know what just occurred on your screen, was completely biased and unfair, so what I am doing and I am probably not the only one is for fair play not to try and play better.

Level 2

So if your house got robbed, you'd go out and rob your neighbours as recompense? Nice thinking there champ.

Level 31

frtthunderpants wrote:

I never professed to be a top notch player, but have been playing FPS for many years, you get to know what just occurred on your screen, was completely biased and unfair, so what I am doing and I am probably not the only one is for fair play not to try and play better.

No... your rationalizing actions you know are wrong. Everyone is cheating, therefore, I shall cheat.

It doesn't make you fair.

It makes you Lance Armstrong.

RAN
Level 75

in reply to RAN Kismet

Weirdly enough I completely agree with your closing statement, if your line is not capable of the required performance you should be relegated to a different host. As I really do believe after the test that I done that this is what is causing all the WTF moments in this game.

Level 2

Studios