OK all techy self proclaimed know it alls !

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: OK all techy self proclaimed know it alls !

in reply to qwerty454

It really comes down to your internet connection. You are going to be compensated, deal with it. I have the best internet in my area (50d/15u) And i put the smack down on quite regularly. HOWEVER, when I get on with my friends that have FIOS, I feel like my feet are in the mud. Thats because their upload speed is my download speed lol. Your best bet is to get friends in your local area and play as a party. Having local people really increases your chances of being paired similarly and not have the cross country lag.

Level 2

in reply to jeremiahneral

Am I right in thinking that there could also be latency issues caused by the display settings on some TV's?

Level 3

in reply to King_of_Serpent

Very minor, I use a LED 46" tv and a 26" monitor, haven't noticed a difference personally. I have also used wired and wireless controllers, again... no real difference. Just keep your batteries above 2 bad. The only thing I prefer is wired surround headsets, brand doesnt matter. I hate having to change batteries in the middle of a match!

Level 2

Well I will say this.

I went from 1080 output to 720 output on my TV and my KD ratio in BO2 went up .5 at least.

Level 72

in reply to starbuckfrack

Size of TV not so important, its the refresh rate that'll kill ya if its too slow. I've been thinking about sinking some money into a nice little 20"-ish gaming monitor at some point in the future

Level 31

in reply to starbuckfrack

I'd like to think that by doing something about a few things that have a minor effect, you can have at least some affect on the connection quality

Sorry Bielsalmighty, I can't accept that bandwidth "is irrelevant", I feel that if that were the case then we wouldn't have to meet a minimum requirement.

Level 3

You just need enough to run. Once you meet that, it really is irrelevant. Thats a fact which is well established. I used to think that it was all important and forked out for a higher bandwidth BB package, then I found out that its line stability which counts for so much more. Thankfully the connection in my new place was well established beforehand, my ISP doesn't throttle my bandwidth (or if they do, they dont hit it as hard as my previous ISP).

Fact is, I've had a 10MB line and a 50MB line. Both have run exactly the same as each other. The problem very often is simply down to peoples connections/setups not being optimised or matchmaking is screwing them. Differences in bandwidth are indeed irrelevant as everyone uses the same amount, apart from the host who has to use a little more.

EDIT: Think of it like this - Bandwidth is best represented by a water pipe. The higher your bandwidth, the wider the pipe that would represent it. The wider the pipe, the more water it can move at once - the higher your bandwidth, the more data can be moved at once. However, the width of a pipe has no bearing on the velocity of the water moving through it, same as the bandwidth has no bearing on how FAST a data packet moves down the line. Ergo, when the game requires a minimal amount of bandwidth, having a 100MB line is pointless when a 10MB line would perform just as well if both were set up identically.

Level 31
Highlighted

King_of_Serpents wrote:

Sorry Bielsalmighty, I can't accept that bandwidth "is irrelevant", I feel that if that were the case then we wouldn't have to meet a minimum requirement.

If you play and are not host...

you use around 40kb/s down of bandwidth that is tiny we're talking dail up bandwidth

as host

you're still only looking at around 40kb/s down and around 20-40 kb/s up again tiny.

this is because all online games use packets to send and recieve data and these packets are teeny tiny in size.,

you play solidly for an hour you're only looking at downloaing around 14mb of data

so yes bandwidth is completely irrelevant.

If you want to make the argument well more bandwidth means more people can use the internet when I play nope you will have issues especially if someone is streaming video or opening websites with large graphics

Level 75

in reply to jeremiahneral

Bandwidth speed up or down is irrelevant. All due respect, but everyone who is part of the 'compensation' crowd sees no improvement unless they go down the cheaty destabilization road. Here we have proof positive that you are barking up the wrong tree. Read the thread and leave your youtube misinformation at the door please.

Level 31

in reply to qwerty454

Honestly have not seen the issues people are reporting.

Played quite a bit this weekend and saw very little lag. Hit detection seemed on point. Had a few WTF moments, but that is to be expected. Was very impressed at how quickly I got into lobbies and how most lobbies I got into (played HC TDM mostly) seemed pretty evenly matched.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

Studios