Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to trialstardragon

trialstardragon wrote:

It does not capture or quantify skill. You can win games with out ever having to kill a player at all in objective games (only id tdm or ffa is k/d really even important). So it is not an accurate rendition of a players skill by any means. Just would be another stat players would use to stroke their epeen and brag about, even if was hidden from the public. Players would take screen shots of photo's of it to show off to other players or friends.

Earlier in this thread I described that the GIN is applicable to ALL game modes. When you score an objective it adds to your SPM, the developer has to make sure the objective point value is weighted fairly to its importance to the game. KILLING OTHER PLAYERS IN OBJECTIVE BASED GAMES IS JUST AS IMPORTANT! The total kills doesn't determine the victor, but rather coordination between teammates in establishing map control at the right times to secure objectives does. You may have more objective oriented players (but still kill when necessary), but their SPM should be identical to players who may focus primarily on killing the entire game if the objective points are weighted correctly.

The GIN would actually be most utilized for objective games! If you have someone who is scoring objective points while also efficiently killing to position their team on the map, that is EXTREMELY valuable and their GIN score would be enormous.

Level 1

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to pj600r1

Pretty much my take on the stats debate is what you have said pj600r. Anyone fortunate enough to have been a part of the earlier days will remember a time when stats were none existent, man were them times fun, trust me baby it was fun, fun fun.

Level 11

in reply to TheAscendantOne

I get your idea but cant really see the point of another pointless stat added to the game especially as it doesn't take into consideration objective play . so you basically re invented the wheel to come up with another way of showing someones kdr or spm.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

You are right in the fact that this statistic is/can be derived from kdr and spm. It is just a more convenient way of displaying the information to the players.

I said at the top of my post that this can take into account objective play. The developer establishes point values for completing objectives in objective game types. This affects your score per minute and directly affects the GIN. You just need a separate GIN for each playlist/gametype.

Level 1

more stats no.

And it still says nothing much. A camper has a better gin than a regular player no way. Rather a regular player in my team than a camper.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaSS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
Level 60

in reply to dtuchpunk

It is actually the most useful statistic you could have in the game, it quantifies skill. What is skill? The ability to win games. How do you win games? By generating more kills per death than the other team. The GIN captures that aspect.

As for players camping, I characterized was VERY good at it. Your average n00b camper would look something like this:

Player Type: The n00b Camper

Average Game Statistics

Kills/Game:7

Assists/Game:1

Deaths/Game:8

Lifetime K/D = .875

Career Avg. Score per game = 70 + 5 = 75

GIN = 75 * .875 = 65.6

This player is practically irrelevant to the game they are playing in from an impact standpoint.

Level 1
Highlighted

But than again. Any camper slows down the game.

(the influence of the spawns)

And more stats just make it harder.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaSS is OP. SaND get's everywhere
Level 60

You proposal is well thought out to refine the "characteristics" of our gamer colleagues.  However, can you expand on what the ultimate intent of the GIN is beyond the leaderboards?  Many casual players care little about the many stats that are already available or the leaderboard.  Would you consider skill matching in games based upon GIN?   

Level 1

in reply to colonial_viper2

Excellent questions Viper.

The point of this statistic is to quantify skill. Which score per minute and kill death ratio do not do completely. The two together paint an accurate picture. This doesn’t impact the casual player at all, as this statistic SHOULD not be used to match players in games. This skill is derived from a player vs the average. Lets say you put all players with a 400 GIN in the same lobby. Most of the players are not going to do as well as they normally would against average players, their GIN will drop because they are playing against better gamers. Therefore, when these players would check their private leaderboard amongst friends their GIN would drop, and it wouldn’t be fair because they are playing SUBSTANTIALLY better players. You could technically match players on it with a couple extra tweaks, but there are already complicated algorithms out there for that. 

Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Ascendant.  I calculated my GIN and I derived a 330.  I'm happy with that!  By the way, it seems like the current skill matching always forces me to play against gamers who are double my SPM.     I'm ready to give your idea a chance!

Level 1

Studios