Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to Hobeinator1

Hobeinator wrote:

If any stat is going to be added I'd like it to be a Did Not Finish/Games Left Early kind of stat.

Does it matter how you win? Because if it does not matter how you win, just whether or not you win, then why don't you just assume losses = left early?

Because that is how "left early" is already calculated. For those that dashboard, there is the probation system. Nothing else is needed.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62
Highlighted

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to nuttin2say

I hardly played BO2 so I don't know much about the probation system.  Did they make it so dashboarding would give you a loss?  Because if dashboarding still wipes the stats from that game as it used to, then no, losses don't show how often someone leaves early.

I don't care about people who just quit out early and take the loss, they don't cause problems for everyone else playing like when a host dashboards.  And if someone does dashboard, they're doing it to manipulate their stats.  Having a did not finish stat displayed could reveal if someones KD and WL is inflated, and it might also deter someone from dashboarding.

Level 5

in reply to nuttin2say

nuttin2say wrote:

Does it matter how you win? Because if it does not matter how you win, just whether or not you win, then why don't you just assume losses = left early?

There is a difference between giving the ol' college try but losing and quitting/dashboarding.  If there was a stat like Hob suggests I'm betting there'd be less of them.  Lets try to imagine it, would a would-be stat padder find much satisfaction if the stat is there for everyone to see.

Not a bad idea at all, IMO.  In fact, if they're going to add any new stat, I would pick this one. 

Level 40

in reply to Hobeinator1

You can definitely get an idea of how good someone is by looking at SPM and K/D - I do it myself obviously, but it is just a convenient way to capture the exponential effect of someone who has high SPM and K/D. It puts numbers to it, rather than just "yeah hes good" or "Yeah hes ok" - it is an exact number so you know EXACTLY how impactful a players is, that is the convenience.

Level 1

in reply to TheAscendantOne

You're not wrong, and I'm not trying to shoot down your idea or anything like that.  If they did implement this GIN score or something similar to it, cool.  I'd have no objections.

I'm just saying if they're going to start adding different stats into the leaderboards, I'd rather it be stats that give us information that we're not already privy to.

Level 5

I'm not seeing how this "gin" would mathematically reveal anything. You can just take a cursory look at SPM, KDR, and WLR and determine the same thing without having to do any math at all.

Before you say it ...

No, I do get it. The game would do the math for you. It's semantics, that's all it is. It tells the same information already available but in a different language ... with the sole purpose of trying to deceive random, casual players into staying in a lobby that pits an organized party against randoms. That's all this proposal is.

Level 62

in reply to nuttin2say

I can definitely agree that by giving a quick glance at SPM, KDR and WLR you can approximate how good someone is, but this just quantifies it into an exact number.

The sole purpose of this is NOT to deceive casual random players into staying in a lobby that is stacked with competitive players haha! It is ACTUALLY THE OPPOSITE.

The GIN lets casual players know exactly how good someone is by capturing the exponential effect of a high SPM and K/D.

Level 1

For starters, AscendantOne, you need to become familiar with this website or one similar to it ...

Statistics Calculator

Personally, I have not run any statistical analysis on anything COD since an infamous MW3 episode which is better left in the past for fear of opening old wounds.

Nonetheless, to get a super-accurate picture of trends in kdr, spm, etc, etc ... you need to look at about 1000 different AND truly random players. However, there is a way in which you can look at fewer and determine whether or not the patterns that emerge are "reliable." To make things "easy," I suggest you pick about twenty random players - not players you know, not players you've played, not players you "think" are reflective of typical player "types." Twenty absolutely, 100% random. Using the alphabet and a random number generator, it is pretty easy to find twenty random players.

Using the "statistics" on those players' Elite profiles, you can use the site mentioned above to use actual, real, bonafide, theoretically and practically proven mathematical formulas or models or whatever you want to call them to actually determine the relationship between any of the stats you see on those Elite profiles.

Many community members have already done those things in years past. You can take our word for it or you can rack your brain out trying to do the same thing ... but you're going to get the same result ...

A + B = B + A ... that's what your GIN formula reveals. It quantifies information about the individual player, it does nothing to qualify the player against other players.

The statistical math, however, is going to reveal that you have to look at a broad spectrum of data to determine the actual "quality" of the player. Even then, player quality is subject to various conditions.

There is no 100% reliable objective statistic to determine player quality.

Level 62

in reply to nuttin2say

First off I didnt say the GIN formula was a groundbreaking discovery, I am simply proposing a more convenient way of tracking the impact of a player to the game.This is simply comparing your performance to the average of all the players you have faced in all your games.

Second, I am aware everything has standard deviation, almost nothing is CONRETE, let alone Call Of Duty Statistics. What color underwear you will choose in the morning has standard deviation, unless you dont wear underwear. The best you can do is increase sample size to minimize this deviation.

It is unnecessary to pick random players to do analyses for this statistic. The randomness is captured by the opponents a player plays in their games. For Team Death Match, lets say a player plays 1000 games of CoD, which in reality is not that much, that is roughly playing 4 hours a week for 41 weeks out of the year. In that time they will have played against 1000*6 = 6000 different and essentially random players (far greater than the 1000 you suggested). The GIN is a lifetime statistic that evolves over your playing career with you. After playing 6000 different people, it will approach a nominal value, but will obviously have some high standard deviation on a game to game basis because CoD players vary so much (like you said). What I am getting at is that after 1000 games, the GIN will be accurate, a player with a higher GIN than you who has also played 1000 games WILL produce more kills and die less than you  on a regular basis, and therefore win more on a regular basis. I would guess off the top of my head that you would have to have a GIN of more than 100 from another person to witness the difference on a game to game basis playing with them.

What you are saying about variance is true, and where it is true is in this case: If a team has an average GIN score of 175 and the other has an average of 150, they might have to play 100 games against each other to see the difference.

If a team has an average GIN score of 350 and the other has 200, you could probably see the difference in only 10-15 games since the GIN statistic is exponential in nature the difference between a 350 player and a 200 player is very significant.

You have brought a valid point up though, it would require testing to quantify the value of the statistic. Testing I am willing to do when the game comes out. After my friends and I have played more than 200 games each, I will use the players to make teams based on their average GIN. One really good team with over 300-400avg GIN, one with 200avg GIN and one with 100avg. These teams will play together for a night and keep track of their wins vs losses and see if their is significant deviation between the results.

Level 1

TheAscendantOne wrote:

What color underwear you will choose in the morning has standard deviation, unless you dont wear underwear.

LOL.  Nice analogy (it's only inaccurate if all I wear are tighty whities.)

I wish people would take the time to understand what a stat really is and, more importantly, is not.

Level 40

Studios