Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to TheAscendantOne

TheAscendantOne wrote:

The GIN statistic would be an attempt to QUANTIFY a players SKILL and take it from the land of subjectivity (I.e. "Hes bad" or "He's good" and put it into objectivity (i.e. "He has a GIN of 65" and "He has a GIN of 600") by calculating a number! That is the whole point of why this would be useful...

Absolutely, stats are but attempts to quantify quality (skill).  This is what I mean when I say people need to know what a stat means, and what it does not mean.

But just because no stat or a combo of stats will ever totally and accurately reflect skill, we can use them to help us gauge it.  Lets use Baseball as an example.  If we see a player with a 330 batting average, sufficient number of plate appearances, good On Base percentage (minimal strike outs and having a good "eye"), good slugging percentage, etc., we can fairly assume this is a very good player.  We can safely say he is a skilled player.

OTHO, what the above numbers don't say is how hard this player tries.  Pete Rose was known to be a tryhard (tryhard here is a good thing), no stat will ever tell you that he mowed down some catcher in an exhibition game to try to score an insignifican run.

Level 40

Re: Possibility to include a new statistic in Call Of Duty? What does the community/Activision think?

in reply to Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Yppecaye_the_Dogged wrote:

Lets use Baseball as an example.  If we see a player with a 330 batting average, sufficient number of plate appearances, good On Base percentage (minimal strike outs and having a good "eye"), good slugging percentage, etc., we can fairly assume this is a very good player.  We can safely say he is a skilled player.

Baseball is exactly the example I was thinking of Yppecaye! It was part of the inspiration for this statistic. Part of the reason Baseball has so many oddball stats is to try and approximate a players skill, and that was my intended idea here. I understand it is IMPOSSIBLE to EXACTLY correlate skill to a number, but it will be a decent approximation, much like Batting Ave. OBP, slugging pct%.

Level 1

A bit off topic but if gamers approached their games more like atheletes did theirs, we'd get less quitting, cheating, poor sportsmanship.  Everything I learned in Little League can help gamers to be better sportsman.  By how poorly some gamers behave themselves, makes me wonder whether if some of these players ever played any sports.

Level 40
Highlighted

But ya see video games are not sports. they are electronic media entertainment and not real life. So sportsmanship has no bearing in how people play the game or not.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

Well if I'm the wrong side of a lopsided game, I tend to play the game out anyway.  This is the old sportsmanship principle of never quitting. 

If I get beaten badly, I pick myself up and try to learn why I was beaten.  This is the old sportsmanship principle of learning from better competition and from your own mistakes.

If I beat someone badly, I'll say good game and not rub it in.  This is the old sportsmanship principle of winning with gracefulness and humility. 

Are you telling me that none of these principles wouldn't help with ridding some of the immaturity and complaints that are so rampant among some of the gaming community. 

Level 40

Would those principles help? Not really since this is not real life and no bearing on real life or what people do outside of the game at all.

That is you not everyone has your ethics or standards and never will and nothing can ever be done about that either. Expecting someone to play by your standards is pretty silly since you really have no say in how they play at all if you are not footing the entire cost for them to play. People are not going to suddenly care they are making you upset and your not having the fun in the way you want by playing how you think they should ever.

Again I will repeat CoD is not a sport it is a video game. Not life and death, not reality. A means of entertainment and that is all. It is not refereed by anyone so there is no rules of sportsmanship within the game that anyone has to abide to ever other than no cheating/hacking/modding/glitching. Beyond that there are no special rules of how they HAVE to play the game.

Stop taking the game so serious as if every win or mach is a matter of pride or life and death and a mark against who you are as a person if you don't do your best for it is not. Not everyone is or ever will be a good sport at playing video games nor can it be forced upon them either by anyone not even the devs. Nor will they ever care if how they play and what they do affects you in any way either for they don't have too. For that is part of life and having freedom of choice. That not everyone has to be nice or fair or play in any set standard way just to fit in with some other group that wants to play that way.

NOTHING will ever change it. For not everyone will ever take the game serious no matter what is said or done by the devs or anyone else ever.

Level 70

trialstardragon wrote:

Would those principles help? Not really since this is not real life and no bearing on real life or what people do outside of the game at all.

You are false here, those principles will help, because even though this is entertainment based in a virtual reality, the experiences between people are REAL. The experiences between players change everyone's experience of the game. The basic sportsmanship principles would help tremendously - I can tell you from experience that if you compliment the winning team or best player on a good and even match, the tone and mood of the lobby changes entirely, it goes from arrogantly competitive to synergistic, where you value the efforts of your opponent, learn and improve your own play.

Level 1

No, I am not false. For not everyone cares or ever will care about being a good sport and playing fair for COD is not a sport and most will never see as such no matter how many ever try to say it is. the experiences between people are not real, for it is not real. It is not even VR. Nothing you do in the game has any direct effect on the real world other than the stats. Toward your next statement not always does that happen. I have played numerous matches and said GG at the end just to be called trash and scrub by players on the other team.

Level 70

trialstardragon wrote:

Again I will repeat CoD is not a sport it is a video game. Not life and death, not reality. A means of entertainment and that is all. It is not refereed by anyone so there is no rules of sportsmanship within the game that anyone has to abide to ever other than no cheating/hacking/modding/glitching. Beyond that there are no special rules of how they HAVE to play the game.

Stop taking the game so serious as if every win or mach is a matter of pride or life and death and a mark against who you are as a person if you don't do your best for it is not.

Of course CoD is not a sport, it is a video game for entertainment. I am naturally competitive (as are most people) so I like to improve my own skill at the game, as oppose to staying the same or getting worse - so someone like me would value improved statistics (measure of skill/performance). Just because  I am competitive doesnt mean a game is life or death, I just dont play to lose, and if I do, I figure out why and areas for improvement to get better.

Even if arent competitive, you wont even concern yourself with stats, so they are irrelevant to you. What does it matter if you have 1000 statistics available to you or none? You dont even care about them so this thread is entirely irrelevant to you - and if you do care about statistics (I was assuming you were speaking your own personal opinion) you are 100% just trolling this thread with a positive contribution of 0% to its purpose.

Level 1

Increased numbers of stats leads to more epeen stroking and more name calling when ever anyone has lesser stats and that is something that should be discouraged not encouraged by adding even more stats for them to use to do so.

Attempting to say I am a troll just because you don't like how I post proves nothing at all other than the fact you don't like someone disagreeing with you.

Level 70

Studios