Pre Order Multiplayer Map "FreeFall" discussion

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Pre Order Multiplayer Map "FreeFall" discussion

So Infinity Ward Posted today that there is a Pre-Order Bonus- If you pre-order, you get the MP Map FreeFall-

http://www.callofduty.com/ghosts/wheretobuy/freefall

It won't let me copy the text, so I will Paraphrase it.

Basically the map is a Skyscraper on the brink of collapse. The design art shows a skyscraper basically bent in half. The description talks about sideways staircases, elevator shafts running along the ground, and windows forming a glass floor. The map is described as "dynamic" falling continuously throughout the match. As it falls the terrain changes, thus sight lines and routes change as well, the map evolves in real time.

The idea of dynamic maps excites me quite a bit, I am curious to see how they handle it. If they can make it work similar to Battlefield, they could be creating the best CoD in a long time. My fear is that the dynamic events are going to feel staged, and will be repeated everytime you play said map. I am hoping they are TRULY dynamic, in that they offer a different gameplay experience every time you play. I guess we'll see.

The other thing that struck me was that they chose this particular them. At E3, BF4 showed off a map with a spectacular SkyScraper collapse... may just be coincidence or a direct challenge. I hope they get smart and release some MP footage earlier than normal this year.

So what are your thoughts? Second year in a row with a Pre-Order Exclusive... does it give you incentive to buy the game or are you going to wait for more info before investing? Are MP maps as Pre-Orders good for the community after the Nuketown 2025 fiasco? Can they do it better this time around?

What are your thoughts about the dynamic maps? Do you think they will take them far enough or will they just be set pieces that grow old with time?

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
23 REPLIES

Re: Pre Order Multiplayer Map "FreeFall" discussion

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

I already have enough bad luck as it is in Black Ops II, one away from my VSAT or such and a random car explodes or a Hunter Killer decides to miss a teammate and land next to me despite having Blind-Eye equiped. Dynamic maps better mean dynamic aesthetics like that are non-lethal. MW3 had so many red barrels that I was discovering new ones tucked away in corners long after the game's release.

Second it states that it's close-quarters. I'm hoping that's an overstatement. You see it on here and on the Black Ops II boards, people are sick of small maps, it causes far too many issues.

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I am not  fan of the smaller maps. The Chaos is only fun to a point.

I don't mind things like the barrels... IF they give visual and audio cues. For some reason, in BO2... the fire makes no sound and is barely noticeable. What was that all about?

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I don't mind things like the barrels... IF they give visual and audio cues. For some reason, in BO2... the fire makes no sound and is barely noticeable. What was that all about?

They should appear on Engineering or Sit-Rep too

Level 75

in reply to Ghamorra

I don't think people are sick of smaller maps, I think people just want more variety.  I love smaller maps, but when every single map is a small map, then it gets old.  Needs to be a balance of small and large maps like World at War.

Level 4

in reply to trollinthunder

trollinthunder wrote:

I don't think people are sick of smaller maps, I think people just want more variety.  I love smaller maps, but when every single map is a small map, then it gets old.  Needs to be a balance of small and large maps like World at War.

Agreed, more variety in map size provides more options for playstyles and tactics.

The last two COD's (MW3 & BO2) in my opinion caters to small and cluttered maps leading to spawn issues and too much chaos.

Most of WAW maps were excellent, would like to see a COD developer go back to it's roots.

Level 51

Freefall is based off the single player level "federation day"

I was lucky enough to see fed' day already, honestly if freefall is anything like the way the level plays out in sp with how the building collaspes  its going to be seriously awesome andsomething new IW have bought to the table.,

I dont think it will be a truly randon event in as much as there has to be alot of structure to the event for it to work , ie i think the building will fall the same way everytime but we might get debris thats randon for example on some platforms .

Also mp reveal isnt happening till we get into august but i have a feeling we might get a sneaky peak at free fall earlier than that

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Innovation is good. The fact is... I just want a game that is infinitely replayable. I can play COD4 today (ok well maybe no longer with the hackers)... but I COULD play it for hours and never get sick of those maps, same with Black Ops 1.

Just want them to bring the fun back. This map sounds like a promising start.

Activision Ambassador

in a slightly related theme know what i'd like to see just to add some variety and so maps dont stagnate and get boring if every few months they changed them slightly be it moving flag points or changing a route .

you see that idea dev-eye of sauron free feel to steal it and put it on the white board somewhere visable next to the dinosaurs

Level 75

I'm not a fan of map "fatalities", you know "Exploding Barrels/Vans 2.0" except that's on a Skyscraper.

Just as an example, with the whole "glass floors", I have a feeling that teammates are purposely going to shoot them causing you to fall which would be frustrating.

I'm glad that IW are branching out of simple maps and trying to innovate COD map design but just reading it does concern me when it'll be released to the COD community (we all know our community aren't saints )

On the topic of pre-ordering just for this, not interested until IW actually provides footage and details on MP. Hopefully they'll get more into detail about dynamic maps or as I like to call "map fatalities".

Level 51

Studios