Rant: AR vs. Sniper Rifles

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Rant: AR vs. Sniper Rifles

When a sniper gets outgunned by a AR at long range,  you know something is messed up. Today, some loser was camping with a sc-2010 thermal AR and instant kills me ACROSS the map.

what is the point of snipers if they are useless against AR's? AR's are supposed to have major damage drop off but in this game its a 3-4 hit kill no matter the range.

Out of all the things IW could of done to make CoD better they reduce the health?! An aspect of CoD that NOBODY has complained about? But instead of correcting the problem you bring out 1 lousy game-mode with slightly more health because you're too lazy to do a overhaul of the health system.

Level 10
57 REPLIES

Re: This game is officially trash...my rant.

in reply to killermushroomhead

A sniper rifle is not meant to necessarily outgun a weapon "built" for long range, in this game.  If you would have said, SC2010 iron sights that's one thing, but if they had thermal on, that was their conscious choice to make a gun built for long range and probably have some skill handling it's recoil etc.  Also, an SC 2010 in particular is known for having "good" recoil for an AR.

Also, a sniper rifle is a "skill" weapon or a "niche" weapon relative to fully automatic weapons.  The fanbase/Devs had slowly crept that towards it being an "all purpose" weapon in certain titles because they are a fan favorite, but snipers are also not a "power weapon" like in the Halo series.  A sniper rifle will never get it's just due in a COD game, in it's "proper" use (a subjective term of course) , until maps that are stonehaven size and larger are commonplace, and recoil and bullet realism start creeping in more (think the famous ghillie suit level of COD4, not to that extreme of course).  Or, if they pulled a Halo and started making snipers some form of a drop down care package killstreak, they have scout heli, but that puts you out in the wide open lol.

There is no trolling in my post, I know this is a touchy topic.

Level 7

The first thing that came to my mind is: "He just had better aim and better reflexes than you."

But yeah I can understand the frustration of Snipers because a lot of Assault Rifles and especially the Marksman Rifles are incredibly good in this game. So truth is Snipers are kinda obsolete without quick scoping and without gigantic maps.

You're better off camping with a MR than with a Sniper imho. Even with an AR with enough range and accuracy. you just need good aim and you can pretty much snipe people all day and run and gun on top of it.

Level 5

Re: Rant: AR vs. Sniper Rifles

in reply to Vulcan_Hades

MRs are good in this game?  You ever played with the M/k14 in MW3?  Beats them all hands down.

Level 31

in reply to SitRepPro

To me they are a letdown, but at the same time, what is their real purpose as a weapon class. I was asking that before the game even came out, and still don't know the answer. I think what they are supposed to do, and what they actually do is also different.

Level 20
Highlighted

in reply to NoLifeKing32

To bridge the gap between ARs and SRs, supposedly...

Level 31

if he klled you it's because he played better than you, or saw you first. get better at the game and stop complaining.

Level 3

so   4 bullets with an AR at long range isn't  ridiculous? Never has CoD had such mechanics!

The health is also  the reason why ghosts has so much camping. All the garbage players are too afraid to move....

btw, my k/d 1.65 and i rush all the time.

Level 10

You rush with a sniper rifle?  Interesting....

EDIT:  also should add, you mention an SC2010.  That is a 5 shot kill at maximum range.

Level 16

in reply to admunday

What if burst fire is equipped? I know I do surprisingly well on Stonehaven with a burst equipped HB in hardcore. Not saying I can shoot across the map mind you, but for me its better and more fun than a sniper rifle -I suck at quickscoping and get bored staying in the same spot for extended periods of time.

Level 12

Studios