Reducing Latency (Lag) on Call of Duty: Ghost and Multiplayer In General While Using a Router

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Highlighted

Re: Reducing Latency (Lag) on Call of Duty: Ghost and Multiplayer In General While Using a Router

in reply to FigureZero5

When I changed my output from 1080 to 720 it seriously did increase my KD ratio by at least .5 when playing Black Ops 2.

Keep a record of it and I think you will see a difference.

I thought it was a myth but every game after I changed it I was kicking tail.

Level 72

Re: Reducing Latency (Lag) on Call of Duty: Ghost and Multiplayer In General While Using a Router

in reply to FigureZero5

That's on a Samsung 60" LED HDTV

Level 6

in reply to Wheels1AWTT

WOW! Looks different, XD

Level 4

in reply to FigureZero5

Things I did that smoothed out 'lag comp' symptoms for me during MW3 and BO2:

Port Forwarding

Hard wired to router

Set Xbox to 'highest priority' in your router (meaning other devices get lower priority if they are being used at the same time)

Disable stateful packet inspection (SPI)

Disable 'filter anonymous internet requests'

Static IP for the xbox...placed in DMZ.

Used Google DNS servers

Not saying games should require a bunch of setup and tweaks to perform well, but making sure your side of things is as clean as possible does help.

Level 9

in reply to JBurn244

gotsomestars 100% true and 100% funny, lag comp gained via latency is the #1 best perk in ghosts. I have messaged alot of players this question

"Hi can you tell me your internet speed please? I am asking players that insta kill me, have good KD or have a good score, thanks in advance."

The overwhelming answers are

"very bad connection..."

"**** y?.."

or they are on

"virgin..."

So yes lag comp exists and yes its the #1 influence on your gaming experience.

I'm an average to fair player at best i'm under no illusion of my abilty but im not a .5 - .8 kd player.

Level 2

in reply to JBurn244

JBurn244 wrote:

Things I did that smoothed out 'lag comp' symptoms for me during MW3 and BO2:

Not saying games should require a bunch of setup and tweaks to perform well, but making sure your side of things is as clean as possible does help.

Sometimes, messing around with those options is counter-productive and provide no benefit; most of the time it will create other issues for the users.

For example:

JBurn244 wrote:

Port Forwarding

If the only thing connected to your network is your Xbox and absolutely nothing else. Then yes, go ahead and port forward. If you have other devices connected and use other software, then port forwarding is not the best option. Especially when you have multiple devices that use the same software it would not be recommended. Of course unless you have the time to set up port forward for everything on your network.

JBurn244 wrote:

Hard wired to router

Yes, definitely. Always better to do gaming wired. Some people don't realize how many things affect wireless connections, especially on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

JBurn244 wrote:

Disable stateful packet inspection (SPI)

Disabling SPI is ok if you have any other firewall inside your network and/or if you are behind NAT. But disabling SPI is completely unnecessary if you (as you suggested below) put your XBOX on DMZ.

JBurn244 wrote:

Disable 'filter anonymous internet requests'

Why? There is absolutely no benefit from disabling this and could create more issues and for sure it will not be solving any "Lag" issues.  What the option does is not to respond to any unsolicited packets.

JBurn244 wrote:

Static IP for the xbox...placed in DMZ.

If your XBOX has a static ip or a dynamic ip within your network makes absolutely no difference to your gaming experience. It provides absolutely no benefit to avoid any "Lag".

Place XBOX in DMZ. Read above.

JBurn244 wrote:

Used Google DNS servers

This is such an absurd myth that people like to spread out in this forums. I mean, I have even seen people swear that this fixed their lag. So wrong. Your provider's DNS servers are 99.99% of the time a better choice unless they are down for whatever reason. Otherwise using Public DNS servers create more issues than they resolve. For example on CDN or Content Delivery Networks. News?, Music, Movies online?  They all use CDN, changing your DNS to Google or OpenDNS or anything other than your ISP could create more issues with the delivery of this content especially if you are outside the USA.

Level 5

in reply to LimonAgrio

"If you have other devices connected and use other software, then port forwarding is not the best option. Especially when you have multiple devices that use the same software it would not be recommended"

What do you mean by use "other software" lol, do you mean OS because I'm confused and what does software incompatibility which I guess your trying to say have anything to do with port forwarding? Good response and possible issues, but I find those two sentences confusing. I use 2 PCs additionally to my network and have no connection issues, it's a PLAN (private local area network) but I don't know how that would affect multiple nodes on a LAN or higher network chain if that's what you mean.

Level 4

in reply to FigureZero5

Other software for example some VOIP software, if upnp is removed and port assignment for the software is not configured or not configured properly it could collide and render the software useless. Skype, Facetime to mention a few.

Even for connecting two XBOX inside the same network upnp is preferred over setting up port triggering and port forwarding. If this does not answer your question I can get a bit more specific but, in essence what it means is that sometimes two different pieces of software could use the same range of ports and if not configured properly when removing upnp it can render the software useless.

Level 5

in reply to LimonAgrio

Makes perfect sense to me. You mean UPNP network dependent software being restricted if UPNP is disabled. Don't really familiarize myself with Skype and Facetime among those to notice and issue but I see what you mean.

Level 4

in reply to FigureZero5

SolidWater wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me. You mean UPNP network dependent software being restricted if UPNP is disabled. Don't really familiarize myself with Skype and Facetime among those to notice and issue but I see what you mean.

Well, no. Nothing is upnp dependent. If you are too young you might not remember this. If you were a computer user back in the early 90's you might remember Plug and Play. You bought a mouse for your Windows 95 PC and voila you didn't need a floppy disk with drivers anymore. Just plug and play.

UPnP was designed with that same concept. Simplicity and zero-configuration. You plug-in your device on your network and no configuration is necessary for the device to work or operate. Now back in the day if you plug in a mouse that was not plug and play and you did not install drivers for it. Your device might not work, might have limited interoperability , or might actually cripple your computer (who remembers those IRQ conflicts and blue screens).

It is the same concept for UPnP and was designed with the same purpose in mind. If you add devices to your network and remove UPnP and do not configure your network (software and hardware) and your device to operate together then your device and / or your network might not operate correctly.

Level 5

Studios