Trading ground war for character customization?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Trading ground war for character customization?

Ground War didn’t make it to current gen due to limited resource space available - Charlie INTEL Blo...

Can anyone give me a compelling argument why forcing out one of the more popular gametypes in favor of giving your guy hats and clothes is possibly a good idea? 

Can anyone please tell me what substances the developers were using when they exchanged functionality (which has pissed off a lot of people, not just me) for cosmetics (which i've seen no one here give a **** about)?

Anyone?

Level 17
15 REPLIES

Re: Trading ground war for character customization?

in reply to That5What5Up

I think this was probably a case of "damn if you do, damn if you don't".

Either they make the current gen game with ground war and NO customization or they do what they did. Not everyone was going to be happy.

I liked the occasional GW but it was what the 4th most popular playlist. Oh well....

Level 15

in reply to jasonroloff

It was more than just the 4th most popular gametype.  It was also the only one that had teams of 9 and allowed for 18 player battles.  And on a large map such as the ones in this game, only ground war can make for fast paced or even remotely exciting gameplay, map flow, and streak effectiveness, in no small part because it could handle a few players quitting without drastically affecting flow, something that completely ruins any 6v6 modes here both score, map, and team balance wise.

With so many routes to get from an objective to another on these maps, whats the point if there's no one to populate them and stabilize against constant spawn flipping and zero area control?

Considering that black ops 1 at least had face paint and perk-based appearance AS WELL AS ground war, its kind of sad that these developers couldnt figure out a middle ground.  Which did you think would upset more people?

Level 17

in reply to That5What5Up

I wish it was there too...you're preaching to the choir. It was however the 4th playlist behind TDM, KC, and DOM.

As far as why and your reference to BO...my guess is the additions and changes done to the engine are at the borderline of what the 360 can handle and still maintain the frame rate. Things like lighting and sound design can eat up a lot of resources.

Level 15

in reply to That5What5Up

What is Halo 4 where all armor is customizable and they still do BTB and every game mode.

Level 4

in reply to Clear_Advantage

Exactly.  Also see my points about BO1 above.

Level 17

in reply to That5What5Up

I hear Ground War is in the next-gen...not sure how much truth to that is.

Level 9

in reply to lilbaily2

I believe it will be from news and pictures of leaked gameboxes.  However not putting it on the 360 is still unjustifiable, imo.  Not everyone is going to migrate to the xbone for quite a while...

Level 17

in reply to That5What5Up

Honestly? The customization has more benefits for more people, so it's only logical it made it in rather than ground war. Besides the fact I think it's just a laggy mess, not everyone plays Groundwar. Only the people who play ground war would benefit, but everyone benefits from customization. What about the hardcore folks? Or the folks who only touch Cranked or SnR?

While I personally don't dig GW, I was still shocked to see it not return and I sympathize with you.

Level 61

in reply to An Oreo

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the tradeoffs of customization.  Personally, I think its very irrelevant compared to a mode which can bring so much more to the game experience, and I dont pay attention to appearance at all during any point, but like you said there are intrinsic benefits someone (like a halo armor fanatic) would probably go for.

I can't see how ground war would negatively affect anyone in HC, cranked or SnR, however.  Even if it was laggy as you said, it won't affect non-GW players at all whatsoever.

Level 17

Studios