What happened to the old feeling?

SOLVED

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

What happened to the old feeling?

Gaming used to be, not only a competitive style of fun, but a genuine place where people could go to find the latest stories, achievements, videos, conspiracies, custom modes, updates, and friendly involvement. Granted the video game atmosphere would not be complete without the trash talk, 1v1s, clan wars, machinimas, and a thousand other micro-experiences.

But lately I have begun to see a decline in the diverse feel to gaming. I respect those people who are looking for the serious experience and those who would rather be aloof from the communities created through pure virtual interaction. Yet the for me the draw of console and computer gaming alike was the wealth of story to every aspect of the environment. Even the matchmaking developed its own history of amazing moments and youtube sensations. It's truly impossible to describe every feeling in a single game.

This is a Call of Duty forum but one example I must use is Halo 4. For those of you who have been on recently, you witness yourselves the total lack of commitment to the game these days. 20,000 people play on a good day. The only reason I say this here is because I thought Call of Duty would remain impervious to the disillusioned community of gamers. Was I wrong? My source is limited to Xbox 360 but the general vibe I get (even from PSN and Xbox 1 players) is that the major franchises of our time are leveling out with only feeble micro-transactions to support them.

The vibe is truly sad and once again I ask this forum for their opinion why. Has the active gaming generation dried up and moved on with life? Are games now so shallow that no one can create cool conspiracies (the Zombie story and easter eggs for example)? Are people turning away from diverse fun and more toward MLG or at least serious gaming? Has the generic FPS lost steam to Steam, the growing industry? I don't know.

Like I said before: My analysis is inadequate to describe my disappointment in the lack of depth and community in modern games like Ghosts. The forum is dominated by legit and some not so legit complaints but rarely actual community news of trends and achievements. Why? Because in between Black Ops I and Ghosts something was lost in game creation and participation. Something that effected Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, and other major names as well.

As part of the world of virtual entertainment I want to know why.

Fell free to totally discredit this question because I hope to god that the downturn in game experience is just my imagination...

Level 2
Likes: 11
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎08-04-2014
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to xMrxNCx
Solution
‎11-04-2014 11:20 AM

There are a number of factors which have led to the decline of players on most "popular" online games.

1. YOUTUBE - If you have been playing for a while, around the time MW2 came out youtube started to become a popular way for people to show what they did on a videogame. The quickscopers, griefers, camping for nukes, etc. grew 1000000x after youtube caught steam and younger players were trying to do what they saw in these videos

2. DEVELOPERS - Started to listen to the small minority of players (mostly competitive gamers) and implementing ideas/rules which they placed in their games for the casual players to deal with. For example in BO2 in league play they started banning weapons, perks, attachments, etc. to coincide with what the "competitive scene" was doing. While I have ZERO problem with them only allowing certain things in that environment, they should have NEVER brought those to the mass public.

3. QUALITY OF THE GAMES - The two best COD games in my opinion are COD4 and BO1. These were the most well rounded and balanced games we have seen. World at war and BO2 were good also, butnot great. MW2 was hurt by the fallout of IW and Activision and lost all post release support and was ruined by hackers/cheaters/modders/glitchers. MW3 was so bad with it's lag compensation that I literally could not play until the tail end when they released the last major update when they added HC Face off 3v3, couple that with poorly designed maps, drab colors, and overall crappy gameplay it was the worst in the series until Ghosts came out. Ghosts....UGH. The whole game is just AWFUL, and judging by the 300,000-400,000 players across ALL SIX PLATFORMS, the majority agree.

Level 34
Likes: 1078
Posts: 1885
Registered: ‎29-11-2011
25 REPLIES

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to xMrxNCx

The COD gaming experience is just getting old. They are trying so hard to introduce new stuff every game, that they are ruining it. The days of straight up gun vs gun is pretty much over. They have put so much stuff into the game to try to balance out the noobs and vets. It just kind of waters down the game and doesn't really balance anything. It just makes you have to play a style you don't really want, just to combat others play style. It's not that fun. I can deal with campers, Thermal, quickscoopers, ect. But you have to enter every game wondering what play style you are going to have to use for that game. Still the best players and the hardest for me to do well against, are the guys with really good gun skills, but those guys are few and far between.

I don't think gaming community has grown up and moved on. It's more that they are ready for something else. I'm hoping Destiny turns out to be a great game. It has elements that we really have never seen before. Eventually a great game will come along and kill off COD, just like COD did to Halo (It wasn't just COD that killed Halo, but still) and everyone will get excited, and the gaming experience will improve.

True gamers will never put down their Xbox, PS or PC in favor of stupid mobile games on smart phones, Like a lot of developers are thinking. Most of us need a much more in depth experience than those type of games offer. That's one of the problems right now. A lot of devs have switched their focus to mobile and facebook games. The profits are higher, because the games cost next to nothing to develop and rake in millions in micro transactions.  The casual gamers can not support an industry for ever though. Also with the low cost to develop the mobile game marketplace is being over run by low level devs. The bigger studios will eventually be forced to go back to making high quality console and pc games. Mobile gaming is booming right now, and its hurting console game titles, but it won't last. There are just too many studios making crappy mobile games.

So it's not really one or two things changing the gaming scene, but a bunch of issues. Eventually thought it will stabilize, It may not be the gaming community from 5 years ago, but it will still be good and fun. Trust me I've been gaming since the 80s, rocking my Nintendo, I've seen things change drastically dozens and dozens of times. It always corrects itself and comes out stronger in the end..

Level 2
Likes: 16
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎14-11-2012

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to xMrxNCx
Solution
‎11-04-2014 11:20 AM

There are a number of factors which have led to the decline of players on most "popular" online games.

1. YOUTUBE - If you have been playing for a while, around the time MW2 came out youtube started to become a popular way for people to show what they did on a videogame. The quickscopers, griefers, camping for nukes, etc. grew 1000000x after youtube caught steam and younger players were trying to do what they saw in these videos

2. DEVELOPERS - Started to listen to the small minority of players (mostly competitive gamers) and implementing ideas/rules which they placed in their games for the casual players to deal with. For example in BO2 in league play they started banning weapons, perks, attachments, etc. to coincide with what the "competitive scene" was doing. While I have ZERO problem with them only allowing certain things in that environment, they should have NEVER brought those to the mass public.

3. QUALITY OF THE GAMES - The two best COD games in my opinion are COD4 and BO1. These were the most well rounded and balanced games we have seen. World at war and BO2 were good also, butnot great. MW2 was hurt by the fallout of IW and Activision and lost all post release support and was ruined by hackers/cheaters/modders/glitchers. MW3 was so bad with it's lag compensation that I literally could not play until the tail end when they released the last major update when they added HC Face off 3v3, couple that with poorly designed maps, drab colors, and overall crappy gameplay it was the worst in the series until Ghosts came out. Ghosts....UGH. The whole game is just AWFUL, and judging by the 300,000-400,000 players across ALL SIX PLATFORMS, the majority agree.

Level 34
Likes: 1078
Posts: 1885
Registered: ‎29-11-2011

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to propipe

myevo8you wrote:





2. DEVELOPERS - Started to listen to the small minority of players (mostly competitive gamers) and implementing ideas/rules which they placed in their games for the casual players to deal with. For example in BO2 in league play they started banning weapons, perks, attachments, etc. to coincide with what the "competitive scene" was doing. While I have ZERO problem with them only allowing certain things in that environment, they should have NEVER brought those to the mass public.



Why are these forums full of people that blame "competitive gamers" for everything when it's the "dumbing" down of video games that's the issue?

I feel like a broken record, CoD was once a far more competitive game, not Halo competitive but yea, and since the creation of CoD 4 it's all went downhill. The focus went from gameplay to player investment, something casuals have grown to love. Due to the ever growing population of the thumbless zombies the game has been custom tailored to suit their every need. Developers have done everything they can to dry the tears of the casuals as they're the majority now. Rather than invent a newer version of virtual chess each year they just spoon feed the thumbless zombie horde with gimmicks and "unlocks".

Halo is a perfect example of how the thumbless zombie horde killed the franchise. Compare Halo 3 to reach, look at the direction Bungie took the franchise to dry the tears of the casuals. Removed the team based ranking system and put a system in place that only focused on the individual, which failed miserably I must add. Added "perks" to further offset any type of "balance". They also put a huge emphasis on player investment and made stats hidden, all of which was to tone down the competitive nature of the Quake style gameplay that was Halo. Halo was no longer about playing as team, it was all about about the individual.

Call of Duty is suffering because of casuals needing constant feeding from the tit. It's not the only franchise suffering right now, the zombie horde has nearly changed the entire industry. When is the last time you ran out lives and had to start over in a single player game? The gaming industry is lacking innovation and the casuals are to blame.

Level 9
Likes: 85
Posts: 318
Registered: ‎27-01-2012

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to AntiGov

AntiGov wrote:




myevo8you wrote:





2. DEVELOPERS - Started to listen to the small minority of players (mostly competitive gamers) and implementing ideas/rules which they placed in their games for the casual players to deal with. For example in BO2 in league play they started banning weapons, perks, attachments, etc. to coincide with what the "competitive scene" was doing. While I have ZERO problem with them only allowing certain things in that environment, they should have NEVER brought those to the mass public.





Why are these forums full of people that blame "competitive gamers" for everything when it's the "dumbing" down of video games that's the issue?



I feel like a broken record, CoD was once a far more competitive game, not Halo competitive but yea, and since the creation of CoD 4 it's all went downhill. The focus went from gameplay to player investment, something casuals have grown to love. Due to the ever growing population of the thumbless zombies the game has been custom tailored to suit their every need. Developers have done everything they can to dry the tears of the casuals as they're the majority now. Rather than invent a newer version of virtual chess each year they just spoon feed the thumbless zombie horde with gimmicks and "unlocks".



Halo is a perfect example of how the thumbless zombie horde killed the franchise. Compare Halo 3 to reach, look at the direction Bungie took the franchise to dry the tears of the casuals. Removed the team based ranking system and put a system in place that only focused on the individual, which failed miserably I must add. Added "perks" to further offset any type of "balance". They also put a huge emphasis on player investment and made stats hidden, all of which was to tone down the competitive nature of the Quake style gameplay that was Halo. Halo was no longer about playing as team, it was all about about the individual.



Call of Duty is suffering because of casuals needing constant feeding from the tit. It's not the only franchise suffering right now, the zombie horde has nearly changed the entire industry. When is the last time you ran out lives and had to start over in a single player game? The gaming industry is lacking innovation and the casuals are to blame.


COD4 is when COD got it's main following. The games before that were niche games and were not played that heavily due to lack of it being on a readily accessible console, and the internet gaming thing was just getting it's feet in the door with the mainstream.

As for your rant about "casual gamers" they make up the VAST MAJORITY of the people who play the game. I would EASILY say that 90%+ of the gamers who play COD are casual gamers. As for what happened in Halo, WHO CARES. I am talking about COD, and what has happened to it. Player investment, as you call it, are what video games are about. The average player wants to go play a few matches, do well, and have fun. Yes, the majority of modes are team based, BUT what you are suggesting is that people who play COD need to be real life friends, have meetings, practice with each other while in each others company, etc. Now while some MLG gamers do this, that represents LESS THAN 1% of the people who play COD. Having rules based off of LESS THAN 1% of players is not only idiotic, but not necessary for a franchise to survive.

If you go back and look at what the majority of complaints are about you will see most of them are out of the players control. Lag compensation, Spawns, map size, how certain things work with/against others. Now some things are totally stupid to complain about as the whole "this gun kills faster than this gun derp derp derp" or "this perk shouldn't do this derp derp derp" are stupid, and are whiny players not being able to adapt.

Now here is where you totally fall flat on your face

"Why are these forums full of people that blame "competitive gamers" for everything when it's the "dumbing" down of video games that's the issue?"

The dumbing down of games comes from the rule set implemented by "competitive gamers" because they want the game to play a certain way. How many items were banned from MLG and gamebattles in the last 3 titles?

Here is a list from Black Ops 2

  • Banned Primary Weapons
    • FAL OSW
    • Peacekeeper

  • Banned Secondary Weapons

    • SMAW

    • RPG

    • Kap-40

  • Banned Lethals

    • C4
    • Claymore
    • Bouncing Betty
  • Banned Tacticals

    • Shock Charge
    • Tactical Insertion
  • Banned Attachments

    • Grenade Launcher
    • Akimbos
  • Banned Perks

    • Hardline

    • Ghost

  • Banned Scorestreaks

    • UAV

    • Care Package

    • Counter UAV

    • Hunter Killer Drone

    • Guardian

    • Orbital VSAT

  • Here is the list from MW3
  • Banned Weapons

    • All Launchers

    • All Shotguns

    • Riot Shield

  • Banned Lethals

    • Bouncing Betty

    • Claymore

    • C4

  • Banned Tacticals

    • Scrambler

    • Trophy System

    • Tactical Insertion

    • Portable Radar

  • Banned Attachments

    • Heartbeat Sensor

    • Grenade Launcher

    • Shotgun

    • Akimbo

    • Rapid Fire

  • Banned Proficiencies

    • Attachments (Double Attachments are not Allowed)

  • Banned Perks

    • Blast Shield

    • Overkill

    • Recon

    • Sitrep

And the current list from Ghosts

  • Restricted Killstreaks

All Assault

All Support

Specialist (All Restricted Perks, See Below)

  • Restricted Primary Weapons

MSBS Assault Rifle

All Marksman Rifles

Riot Shield

  • Restricted Secondary Weapons

All Launchers

  • Restricted Attachments

Grenade Launcher

Akimbo

Rapid Fire

Select Fire

  • Restricted Lethals

I.E.D.

C4

Canister Bomb

  • Restricted Tacticals

9-Bang

Motion Sensor

Thermobaric

  • Restricted Perks

Recon

Amplify

Gambler

Ping

Deadeye

Stalker


Now if limiting the game to about what 50% is available isn't "dumbing down" the game, then PLEASE enlighten me.

Level 34
Likes: 1078
Posts: 1885
Registered: ‎29-11-2011

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to propipe

CoD 4 was the answer to all the casuals crying about needing more to play for than just good gameplay, I witnessed many tear soaked threads about it. Something else that was popular then was crying about "balance", as in how they felt powerless against people who where better than them. I believe that's what sparked the creation of "perks". The constant nipple feeding of the casuals is why CoD is in the state it's in. Nowadays after launch, even with DLC, titles are dropping online populations rather quickly. Seems like it's as fast as... Oh look a butterfly...

I despise MLG, yet everyone always refers to them when replying to me. Competitive gameplay =/= competitive gaming, two completely different things.

Why is it so hard for people to see all the gimmicks? Why do people need a constant pat on the back for just playing the damn game? I find it rather funny that you listed the stuff MLG won't allow, it's a rather comprehensive list of gimmicks. Many of the gimmicks listed were forged by the tears of the thumbless zombies, things added to make them feel "equal". Yet you view removing them as "dumbing" down the game, I find that ironic. How is removing the gimmicks that attempt to make every soccer mom of a gamer equal to players better than them "dumbing" down the game? Removing the elements that restrict competitive gameplay, as in CoD 2 like, makes for a far more team based game. It makes encounters more "balanced" and rewards teamwork. What we have now are perks/gimmicks thrown into the mix to "balance" out good players and bad players, putting them on more equal ground. Hopefully you feel enlightened, I believe I explained that fairly well. I could elaborate further if you wish.

You also seemed to speak like teamwork required countless hours to accomplish. It might be for the thumbless zombies that need all the gimmicks that negate teamwork but it's second nature to many.

I didn't think you would touch base on my single player comment, can't really debate that one now can you.

Level 9
Likes: 85
Posts: 318
Registered: ‎27-01-2012

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to AntiGov

AntiGov wrote:







I find it rather funny that you listed the stuff MLG won't allow, it's a rather comprehensive list of gimmicks. Many of the gimmicks listed were forged by the tears of the thumbless zombies, things added to make them feel "equal". Yet you view removing them as "dumbing" down the game, I find that ironic.







I didn't think you would touch base on my single player comment, can't really debate that one now can you.


I condensed down your thoughts to the points which I will give you answers to.

You say they take out "gimmicks". So PLEASE tell me when a GUN, WHICH SHOOTS BULLETS, IS A GIMMICK IN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER GAME. Key word being SHOOTER. What it boils down to are the "competitive gamers" want the game to run a certain way 100% of the time because they are the ones that CANNOT ADAPT. These are usually the players who rush wildly with sleight of hand, marathon, ready up, etc. and REFUSE to wear a perk like Blast Shield or use Sit Rep and whine and complain when they get blown up by an IED or hit with a tube. Instead of making a class to combat this, they come to the forums and whine "NERF IEDS I KEEP GETTING BLOWN UP" or "YOU'RE A SCRUB IF YOU USE TUBES".

Now for your single player argument. The reason the games are like this now is because back in the days of early games where most were side scrolling platform jumpers, the levels were fairly simple, didn't require a lot of time to get through, were linear paths, and even then there were password saves (which would start you back at the beginning of a level) when you ran out of lives, and the way games are designed it just wouldn't be practical. Imagine playing a game like Borderlands where if you died once, you lost everything. It wouldn't go over really well as a player could literally play for HUNDREDS OF HOURS and never experience the same thing twice. Same goes for games like Skyrim (or any Elder Scrolls game).

Level 34
Likes: 1078
Posts: 1885
Registered: ‎29-11-2011

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to propipe

myevo8you wrote:




AntiGov wrote:







I find it rather funny that you listed the stuff MLG won't allow, it's a rather comprehensive list of gimmicks. Many of the gimmicks listed were forged by the tears of the thumbless zombies, things added to make them feel "equal". Yet you view removing them as "dumbing" down the game, I find that ironic.







I didn't think you would touch base on my single player comment, can't really debate that one now can you.



I condensed down your thoughts to the points which I will give you answers to.



You say they take out "gimmicks". So PLEASE tell me when a GUN, WHICH SHOOTS BULLETS, IS A GIMMICK IN A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER GAME. Key word being SHOOTER. What it boils down to are the "competitive gamers" want the game to run a certain way 100% of the time because they are the ones that CANNOT ADAPT. These are usually the players who rush wildly with sleight of hand, marathon, ready up, etc. and REFUSE to wear a perk like Blast Shield or use Sit Rep and whine and complain when they get blown up by an IED or hit with a tube. Instead of making a class to combat this, they come to the forums and whine "NERF IEDS I KEEP GETTING BLOWN UP" or "YOU'RE A SCRUB IF YOU USE TUBES".



Now for your single player argument. The reason the games are like this now is because back in the days of early games where most were side scrolling platform jumpers, the levels were fairly simple, didn't require a lot of time to get through, were linear paths, and even then there were password saves (which would start you back at the beginning of a level) when you ran out of lives, and the way games are designed it just wouldn't be practical. Imagine playing a game like Borderlands where if you died once, you lost everything. It wouldn't go over really well as a player could literally play for HUNDREDS OF HOURS and never experience the same thing twice. Same goes for games like Skyrim (or any Elder Scrolls game).


I really didn't think I'd have to point out the guns but seeing as how you're grasping at straws I guess I should have. Perks are gimmicks, guns are guns. Furthermore, MLG is just another leech. I can understand the removal of some weapons in a Quake style shooter, as they did in Halo but not CoD.

I find it amusing that you still claim "competitive gamers" can't adapt. You simply choose to ignore fact. How can you dispute the drastic changes from CoD 3 to CoD 4? Why do you ignore things such as Last Stand, Juggernaut, Dead Silence, Danger Close, Marathon,? Those things were added because people couldn't adapt, not the other way around. How many people played the Bare Bones playlist? I wonder why that was? They didn't kick and scream for nothing, they cannot play without the gimmicks.

As far as single player, you failed to even mention titles that allow you to skip sections of the game you fail to complete. I just played through Infamous Second Son, I didn't feel as though I accomplished anything as I watched the credits roll by. If I died I simply respawned and went right back at it with no penalty. Borderlands does punish players for every death. not enough but it's better than nothing. We should be punished for deaths and we should never be allowed to skip any section of the game. If I fancy a linear story being spoon fed to me I'd rather read a book or watch a movie. If I want to explore new gameplay mechanics I play a game.

Level 9
Likes: 85
Posts: 318
Registered: ‎27-01-2012

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to AntiGov

MW3's Barebones playlist was the only thing I played, not because I couldn't compete with killstreaks, but because it was the playstyle that most reminded me of the time I spent many hours playing Quake 2, a game solely based on gun play and also a game that frowned upon spawn camping, though that was a time where you spawned in on spawn pads so everyone obviously knew where people were going to spawn, even noobs.

I honestly like playing this game every which way, be it Core, Hardcore, or eSports/restricted rules. While I don't whine and moan about IEDs when I clearly don't use Blast Shield or Sitrep, I can understand why people are annoyed by them, but not so much to complain about it 24/7. It's part of the game, deal with it or go play your niche playlist. As much as I can do good in the Clan vs Clan playlists, I don't play them all the time because the killstreaks in Ghosts are fairly well balanced across all the killstreaks. In comparison, the reason I only played Barebones on MW3 was because I hated things like AC-130s and other obviously overpowered killstreaks that literally took the fun out of the game for me.

But basically, I have to agree with those not complaining - if you can't adapt, then maybe you're playing the wrong game. Sure, I too hate having to switch from a class I have fun with to one I can win with because of how the other team is playing, but that just means I took the time to step up instead of casually having fun with, say, my run-n-gun ACOG sniper class, or my combat knife + C4 class. Instead, I realize I need to change tactics so I switch to my LSAT or runner classes in order to correctly combat things like MTAR runners and other such players in Ghosts. I can hold out for that one match where I'm facing different opponents to enjoy using my fun classes instead of my more competitive classes.

Level 6
Likes: 53
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎12-12-2013

Re: What happened to the old feeling?

in reply to AntiGov

AntiGov, you've got some good, strong points, too.

I agree that the level of gimmicks has gotten ridiculous. I do think, however, that at least some ways to bring variation into how a player moves about the map is necessary. Otherwise we go too far into the other direction, as well. If the game is strictly gun vs gun, then that's a dumbed-down game just as much as is a "balanced" game with 50 different perks. It isn't often that you find people that thought COD4 was a bad game. I can see your points but I can't completely agree with them.

You suggest that when Halo went from a game that rewarded team construction and team play to a system that rewarded individual play, the game went downhill. You know, I've only done Halo online a couple of times and I flatly did not like it. Halo 2 was not a team oriented game in any way, IMO. It was quick scoping, Halo jumping nonsense. Talk about gimmicks? Halo defined gimmickry. Nonetheless, if we take your assertion as an accurate assessment and bring it over to COD, we see the exact opposite happening. Not until MW2 did COD become a game that rewarded team coordination in any significant way beyond simple wins. How many times do you remember hearing teammates ask, "How can I load out my streak rewards to support you scoring a nuke?" A lot. Everyone was doing it. Even if you were in lobbies with randoms, during the match you'd get into conversations with your fellow randoms about setting up, if not for a nuke, all the other streaks to bring a barrage onto the other team during the next match. And if someone was going to end up on the other team in the following match, you backed out, partied up, and found a new lobby of other randoms.

So which was the actual culprit? The gimmicks? Or the rewards for team play? Well, what I've seen over the years is a game that has introduced gimmicks that helped the regular parties. MW2 was bad. So was BO1, MW3, and BO2. The absolute worst was BO2 - and it did not have orgasm inducing Nukes or MOABs! What it did have, though, was the ability for teams with merely half-assed skills to wrack up 100+ kill Domination matches. PTFO had never been screamed so loudly in these forum halls.

I'm not going to get into why BO1 seems to have been the second most popular COD. Whether it was popular or not, it still rewarded party play. In fact, it introduced us to a world of super-gimmicks that made MW2 pale in comparison. I loved BO1, don't get me wrong. But it was still a gimmick-laden game that rewarded party play. That said, like I said, MW2 through BO2 not only became crazy with gimmicks, those gimmicks have tended to reward skill-lacking teams (not that there are no skilled teams, I'm just saying that you can take thumbless zombies, put them in a party and they will automatically perform better; give them rewards and you unleash a narcissistic monster that has no idea what "balance" really means).

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62
Likes: 3467
Posts: 6218
Registered: ‎24-05-2011

Studios