whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

in reply to xlwolfshirt1

xlwolfshirt1 wrote:

Are you freaking kidding me?  You've never been killed way after you went behind a corner, or had somebody kill you by shooting you where you stood 1 second ago?  Hell, in BO2 people with 3 bars had a pretty big advantage.  It's extremely obvious that people with bad connections have the advantage, this isn't new.

Thats latency between you and the host as well as the person who shot you. Thats normal in all online games.

Networking, Lag Compensation, and Hit Detection | Hey, A Message Board

Level 72

in reply to xlwolfshirt1

it's called lag

it happens to everyone

try destroying your connection with torrents and playing with a 1 bar in any game, you're not going to have a good time

Level 16

in reply to hottoddler

It was pointless in the first place, as well as inaccurate.

If it takes you 5 deaths to realise you are"lagging" you aren't lagging bad enough to make a difference. The common cod player uses "lag" as a crutch. If they have a bad game, its lag. If someone beats them, " lag comp put them at a disadvantage". However, when they do well, none of these things are happening.

Activision Ambassador

in reply to hottoddler

First: It did not represent your ping

Second: It did nothing to determine ones connection, it was almost always inaccurate. One less thing to bog the game down like theater. 

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to hottoddler

hottoddler wrote:

i dont want to have to wait till i die 5 times in a row after emptying a clip into someone and doing no damage to confirm that im playing with people far, far away from me?

cant we just see our pings in the lobby? why are they hidden?

you have never been able to see your ping in game, the bars represented a very wide range of pings and served no purpose

Level 75
Highlighted

in reply to Maccabi

False, each bar had its own range of pings, so it was helpful to know if your ping was in the adequate range, or in the really high ranges.

Level 2

in reply to Maccabi

so it was a coincidence when my bar was red i had ridiculous lag and when it was green none? every time?

Level 2

in reply to hottoddler

there is no such thing as no lag. there is always lag.  and what Maccabi means is it doesnt give you your actual ping it gives you a rough idea and nothing more.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

which was a useful tool in determining if a lobby would be a laggy mess, as i said in my original post.

in previous games i could tell instantly if i entered a game hosted on another continent, now i cant. its a waste of my time joining a game and quitting 3 minutes in when i realise i would have over 240ms if i was proven worthy enough to know my own ping by iw

Level 2

in reply to hottoddler

This is why I liked having local matchmaking.  For me it seems I get more UK based players here so far than the same time last year (roughly) with BO2.  I still get the occasional rubber banding lobbies but that's because often people are using shared connections, or lines not ideal for gaming so I suffer.  This tends to increase more during the weekends so that's why I believe shared connections aren't helping.

As for lesser connections getting an advantage, I am going to try and see if it's true or not with my phone line as my fibre optic line has somehow gone down.  Unfortunately it's not going to be accurate because I can't compare the two simultaneously.  I did feel being behind on some matches on my fibre optic line, backed out and forced a host migration but it may happen just as much with my phone line connection.

Level 31

Studios