whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

in reply to hottoddler

hottoddler wrote:

i dont want to have to wait till i die 5 times in a row after emptying a clip into someone and doing no damage to confirm that im playing with people far, far away from me?

cant we just see our pings in the lobby? why are they hidden?

I believe they are tired of the "lag comp" complaints that spring up EVERY year. It has been said about every call of duty and in fact, has been said about most video games. Players from halo blame lag comp, players from gears, players from battlefield and jsut about every other FPS out there.

Since the days of Halo 2 I have been hearing the excuse "you only won because you were host" or "you only won because you have a 4 bar or 3 bar". People focus more on what the connections are and not enough on the game and what they should be doing to win.

Level 45

in reply to deamonomic

lol thats very true but i know when i'm running host pro and utterly destroying people, i also know when someone is host pro'ing me.  some people are better some worse but lag is very noticeable in the COD series.

slight lag doesn't cause me to get angry and rage quit.

spawn die spawn die spawn die spawn die and spawn die or 15 hit markers deep on my foe and then ping i'm dead does that and wanted pro.  thats when you run round a corner and then die from the tracer fire that is hitting the empty air behind you from a guy who can no longer see you.

the proof that lag cripples these games for many is so massively wide spread that it hurst my very soul when people try to deny its a factor.

when an AR like the AK has a time to kill of 0.6 seconds and you have a 50ms ping to host.   LAG MATTERS A LOT

Level 16

in reply to belly120

Play Hardcore.....problem solved. I was getting destroyed in Core matches and, since moving to Hardcore (I play Domination almost exclusively) my K/D has increased, I am getting more captures, and went from 2k-3k experience per match to 7k - 12k. Just my thought.......

Level 8

in reply to belly120

You realize that 50 ms is 0.05 seconds.  So without any lag comp (and we all know that it is in every online game) at most you would be at a 0.05 second disadvantage in a head to head simultaneous gunfight.  Sure it makes the slightest of differences but a much bigger difference is felt by simply not trying to get in head to head gunfights.  If you get your first bullet landed before your foe knows that you are there that 0.05 second delay on your end isn't going to save him.  The TTK is slightly more than 10 times the delay with no comp.

Level 69

in reply to hottoddler

My guess why the pings/bars were never shown was done in order to envelope the players with the illusion that dedicated servers are taking care of them, thus the bars no longer were needed.

I also think they were removed so that players could stop bashing other people for having bad internet.  When the games start lagging and you notice everyone is red/yellow barring except for that ONE guy (who's the host), that's when the hate begins.  In addition, it was much easier to identify who had host, thus caused players to hold that power like a light switch.  If things didn't go their way or they wanted to be a jerk, click!

Don't quote me on this.  These are simple opinions.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Level 52

in reply to hottoddler

Because there are very few who actually understand how they work, and far more who put too much stock in them.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to hottoddler

I like having no pings, because now i wont have to consistently press the back button in every game just to notify if i have 3-4 bars or not.

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to hottoddler

people who live in high pop areas wont understand this issue. its debilitating. to simply say "you dont understand latency" isnt much of an argument in favour of not showing pings.

i understand when my bars were green i had a lag free experience, when it was red it was horrid. its that simple, to claim otherwise is plainly wrong.

if they didnt do it as some kind of cover to hide the fact there are no dedis or very few of them then why?

Level 2

in reply to hottoddler

So.. you need red or green bars to tell you your connection is bad?

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

well how else am i going to know? sit in a lobby, start a game, play for several minutes and THEN realise the game is hosted on the other side of the world? not to mention taking the loss for quitting an unplayable lobby.

or show my my damn ping in the lobby?

which is easier son?

Level 2

Studios