whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

Call of Duty Ghosts XBOX 360

Re: whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

in reply to hottoddler

The problem is that if actual lag is happening, it should be blatantly obvious. There should be no, "It feels like there might maybe not really sure it ain't lag" thoughts going through your mind. If actual lag is happening, the screen should be skipping, stuttering, rubber banding. Something like that. This stuff about "Well, but I know I was on target invariably tends to come back as ... actually, you were not on target. It could be the result of controller settings (as it was for me for a few weeks in BO2). It could be that you are playing when you are under stress from other things going on in your life. It could be you're playing when you are tired and probably should not be playing. A lot of guys don't think those things affect what they see or how they play, but they can be really huge factors.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to hottoddler

Son?

Pretty sure anyone who has played the game can tell pretty much immediately if there is a true connection issue in the lobby they are in.

Or were you one of the people who got into a lobby... wasn't playing well, looked at the scoreboard, saw the one guy with a red bar, and then instantly accused that guy of being the reason you are playing so horribly?

99% of the time the ping bars only stated the obvious.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to hottoddler

hottoddler wrote:

well how else am i going to know? sit in a lobby, start a game, play for several minutes and THEN realise the game is hosted on the other side of the world? not to mention taking the loss for quitting an unplayable lobby.

or show my my damn ping in the lobby?

which is easier son?

breaking down your scenario a bit here

you never knew what the bars were until the match started ..at which point leaving would've given you a loss anyways

when the match started the bars were not at all accurate , same way as you could be in a really bad session where everyone had 2-3 bars then at the end of the round everyone would show 4 bars.

Having bars or not having bars in either scenerio you would start a game and either play or quit depending on how YOU thought the game was playing., and the lack of bars has def imho cut down on the number of people quiting games due to the amount of people who seem to think 3 bars was an advantage and would quit lobbies if they got killed by someone with  3 bars

would having bars mean you wouldnt get placed in a session the "other side of the world" nope thats matchmaking

Level 75

in reply to hottoddler

I know all I need to know by my first kill of the game

Level 9

in reply to hottoddler

ok for arguments sake i am crap and i am blaming lag, i still dont see why we cant see our pings? why are they hidden?

Level 2

in reply to hottoddler

Perhaps now the game has dedicated servers. Perhaps it was causing connection issues like for example the possible reason they removed theater.

If you want an answer for REALLY why they got rid of it you might want to try PMing a dev because all you get here is assumptions. This is a public forum, not a developers inbox.

There are some really good answers in here why their shouldnt be so why cant you just take those ?

Level 72

in reply to starbuckfrack

I doubt theatre would have added to lag issues.  Given that the current gen consoles add some form of built-in recording of gameplay I'd guess that has something to it.  A pity because theatre is much more than clip making even if that was the 99.9999% use of it.

Level 31
Highlighted

in reply to hottoddler

hottoddler wrote:

ok for arguments sake i am crap and i am blaming lag, i still dont see why we cant see our pings? why are they hidden?

they aren't "hidden" the bars (which does not represent your ping) are not longer there. What does it matter anyways anymore? Seriously they are gone, period. You know your lagging based on how the game is playing, no matter if they are there or not.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to Izjar11

yes and at that point i am faced with two options: play to the end of an unplayable game or quit and lose my streak and take a loss. why is it such a bad thing to want to know before a game starts if i am going to have a ping of over 250 because i am in a lobby on another continent?

i am baffled by the amount of people acting indignant because i just want to know my own ping in a video game. you would think i am being offensive the way people are reacting.

why is it i can see my ping in %99.9 of online games and not this one? people in this forum are lunatics.

Level 2

in reply to hottoddler

99.9 percent of online games really ?

GTA doesnt have a pingbar indicator, Neither do any of the battlefeild games, I think MW3 and some old the games like MW2 and before didnt have a ping indicator. Those are just ones off the top of my head.

You think were are but lickers because we are trying to answer your question for you ? If you want we can stop helping you then you wont have any answers at all, and you still wont have ping bars in the game.

Level 72

Studios