I'm terrible and am asking for help!

Call of Duty Ghosts Xbox One

I'm terrible and am asking for help!

Yep, I'm that guy... the one who goes 6 and 13, 9 and 23, and my lord once even 0 and 9.  The one who can pull off a decent spot in the scoreboard on a Domination match by playing objectives but whose KSmiley Very Happy ratio is so bad you'll ask yourself "Why is he on our team???".

I want to get better, I really do.  If I die I try not putting myself in the situation that got me killed the first time.  I used to sprint almost all the time, and I used to reload after every time I fired my weapon but I've broken myself of those habits.  I take it slow around corners and keep my sights up around head level to improve my chances of getting the kill.  I watch videos on how to get better.  More often than not though I find myself hitting X to respawn and eventually switching to play Infected where I actually do quite well.

It seems like no matter what I do, I'm dead.  If I take it slow around corners, there's an enemy there just waiting and shooting me before I can even pull the trigger.  If I try to use cover when I know there's an enemy nearby, I either end up dead by someone else coming up from behind or god forbid I get shot through the cover without even being seen! (I've seen this happen a few times in my death replay)

Can anyone offer any advice or tips on what I can do to improve so I don't drag the rest of my team down?  Perhaps perks that are "must haves" for people as bad as I am?  For weapons I'm currently switching between the Maverick with Thermal Hybrid, Muzzle Brake, and Grip, or the Honey Badger with Tracker Sight and Grip.  For perks I typically take anything that helps steady my aim and reload faster.

Level 1
29 REPLIES

Re: I'm terrible and am asking for help!

in reply to gehmnal

Can I ask, do you use Dead Silence and Focus?

Level 12

in reply to the_eon

the_eon wrote:

Can I ask, do you use Dead Silence and Focus?

I use Focus (helps my aim) but not Dead Silence.  I was considering putting it in and dropping something else (like Scavenger); I'm assuming since you mention it that I probably should.   I also tend to run without a pistol and tactical, and one loadout I use often has no lethal while another does so I get extra perk points.

lzjar11: No, I am not one of "those players" lol.  Like I said I've broken myself of the habit of sprinting everywhere, and I do try to make an effort of scouting spots before moving in.  Problem is, I tend to find myself dead from behind the minute I stop moving or even if I scout out, dead the minute I turn a corner.  I never seem to be able to fire faster than the other guy.

Level 1

in reply to gehmnal

Learn by playing (and dont feel bad for it) lose and learn remember what happened and use it or try to adapt.

I just hope your not one of those players who doesnt care at all, and walks into areas just to die.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to gehmnal

I feel your pain as I am not that great either. I am rapidly improving though by trying new things, learning and adjusting.

The #1 biggest thing to me is learning the maps. I threw in MW3 last night where I don't know any maps and did horrible. Its not that I suck that badly, it was running or creeping into kill zones because I didn't know any better. No plan whatsoever. Ghosts on the other hand I save myself a lot of stupid deaths by not running or sitting in places that I know are kill zones. If you don't know the maps well, put some squads time in, do some private matches with a friend and even run the maps through multiple times alone. You can then "plan" a strategy for what you want and don't want to do in each map and mode.

You mentioned running AR's like Mav and HB. Are you running quickdraw and ready up? Those can make a big difference with that critical fraction of a second to get ADS before the other guy kills you. Are you varying loadouts beyond AR's? A good SMG like MTAR is much faster for close quarters and tight maps like strikezone IMO.

Dead silence is almost a must for most situations. If you are not running dead silence you sound like a train coming through, the other guy is going to hear you long before he can see you. Amplify is also good to key in on the guys not running dead silence.

Level 10

in reply to gehmnal

You don't need Scavenger until you improve. Drop the secondary as well.

I tend to play slowly using the edges of the map and I will camp from time to time if I'm up against a really good team. I'm also a bit older so my reflexes are not great so I avoid o be on ones up close. My aim is good so I tend to win mid range battles. Running aro u nd in Ghosts is very hard to do unless your a very good.

My default class is a bit nooby but great for a beginner:

Honey Badger with Grip and Extended Mags

Ready Up

Dead Silence

Off The Grid

Focus

Amplify or Hardline

IED

No secondary or tactical.

I go 5 7 9 on assault.

Dog Missile Battle Hind.

Slow down learn the maps and that class will see you well. When you start improving you can drop Off The Grid for Quick draw or Stalker.

It's all about staying off the mini map ;-)

Level 12

in reply to the_eon

Thanks for the advice ThePrincessSlayer and the_eon.  I'm also "a bit older" (late 30's if that can be considered old lol) so my reflexes aren't as good as the kids these days.

I'll try the loadout you posted and see how it works.  I tend to try to "run and gun" more than I should but still scout before I move in.  I'm guessing that's my problem and I need a bit more patience to see me through.  If I get the drop on someone I tend to have decent aim but I can wind up spraying everywhere if things get hectic.

Again, thanks for all the help and ideas!

Level 1

in reply to gehmnal

I think that its easier to aim with irons or red dot. It doesnt blur your view like with the tracker sight.

Level 1

in reply to gehmnal

I'm going to take a different approach here. Are you playing on an HDTV? Are you on Game mode? If not then switch your TV to it before playing. You could be suffering from bad input lag. If you have a computer monitor then try hooking your XBOX One to it. If you start doing better then it could be that your TV is introducing a good amount of input lag. 1080p monitors usually have less input lag.

Level 35

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

Interesting, I never thought of that.  I'll try fiddling with modes on my TV to see if that helps.  It is older so maybe I'll try to convince the wife that I need to get a new one so I don't suck so much!

Level 1

Studios