IED - Something To Think About

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Forum

IED - Something To Think About

I have a friend who is in the Marines who lost his leg in an IED attack while serving in Iraq.

We were talking one day and mentioned MW2 and perhaps new things that might be included and the topic of, "What if they have like an IED thing for killstreaks/perk?" came up. He told me that he wouldn't like to see that in the game at all, reason being is that I guess he doesn't want to have something that is taking our and other countries soldiers lives to be depicted so nonchalant in a video game (especially because he has experienced that first hand).

I see that as a reasonable explanation why he and perhaps other real-life soldiers/veterans would not like to see that in a game and might be offensive to some players/critics.

What do you all think?
Level 1
26 REPLIES

Re: IED - Something To Think About

in reply to ryantherobot
Modern Warfare would get terrible publicity from tight-assed news sources like CNN. Its not worth it, and honestly would be completely pointless. Unless the game comes with vehicles in multiplayer, which I dont think it will.

Besides an IED doesent have any shape or design, its an improvised explosive device. This could be anything from old artillery shells set to explode to combustible materials packed with shards of metal.
Level 3

in reply to ryantherobot
I really like this. It coul;d be a perk for the terrorist sie like marines have clays but opfor COD4 for example could us IED
Level 2

in reply to ryantherobot
Lol, somebody posted this earlier today, they should make these available for anyteam despite their faction but change characteristics such as more damage in all directions but small range high damge
Level 19

in reply to ryantherobot
I agree with your Marine friend, IED take too many lives and I don't think video games should use that as entertainment.
Level 26

in reply to ryantherobot
Its a depiction of real life, but this point has come up with others too. After all it is a war game

Personally I don't see how it would be offensive, keep in mind many people have died from bullets and yet many army veterans still play the game?

I say go through with the IED idea if IW is/was/wantsto work on it or use it
Level 8
Highlighted

in reply to ryantherobot
I suggested this here yesterday. Why cant IEDs be in because they kill people? Turns out bullets, knives, gun turrets and noob tubes up the arse kill people but theyre still included.
Level 9

in reply to ryantherobot
You must realize that guns and bullets are everywhere not just in war. IEDs are too current and are a cowardly tactic-yet effective unfortunately. You can prevent being shot much more easier than being blownup by a remote device that you can make it look like litter on the side of the road.
Level 26

in reply to ryantherobot
People have lost their limbs because of grenades ... take those out too? Like other people have mentioned here it is a unfortunate part of warfare and has no reason not to be included/excluded for any other reason than it works/dont work (gameplay wise)
Level 16

in reply to ryantherobot

Upmostcash wrote:

I agree with your Marine friend, IED take too many lives and I don't think video games should use that as entertainment.

I disagree with you, my friend. Bullets also take too many lives and I do think that video games use that as entertainment.

And for your second post just before this one. AC-130s are just as cowardish as IEDs.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you say, but I just disagree.
Level 3

Studios