Who to blame for all the issues... (hint: project manager)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Forum

Who to blame for all the issues... (hint: project manager)

I haven't even experienced a large majority of the issues being complained about here but as an aspiring game developer I'm interested in finding out why there are so many problems. I've come to the conclusion that the only person to blame for all the issues is whoever was responsible for giving everyone at IW, specifically the programming team, a full month of paid vacation three weeks after release.

I've heard of dev teams taking time off after a big release, but with the biggest multiplayer game in the world and a history of post release patches it seems unacceptable to ignore the need for an active programming team after launch. Surely there are programmers out there that would be willing to fix bugs for less than IW is paying employees on vacation.

It seems so obvious that I'm surprised more people haven't brought this up already.
Level 2
60 REPLIES

Re: Who to blame for all the issues... (hint: project manager)

in reply to Vaaaan
Hmmm , I think they deserve a time out after it , but yes , there should still be some active for these sort of situations.
Level 13

in reply to Vaaaan
cool your a game developer???

For what?
Level 13
Highlighted

in reply to Vaaaan
its Christmas time its only natural that they are going to be on vacation
Level 2

in reply to Vaaaan
In their minds: Vacation > International players paying $80+ who can't even play multiplayer due to faulty matchmaking.

The whole "We will support the game and tweak matchmaking after its release" shit 402 told us is far from what the fuck he actually did. More like "We will take the profit and slowly fix glitches on the PS3 and PC, but Xbox360 being the console selling the most copies can go get fucked.
Level 14

in reply to Vaaaan
I agree they should get a vacation, I guess my point is that the vacation should have come after development is complete, which in this case, since MW2 is a HUGE online title, is not equal to the release date. They couldn't possibly expect that every bug would reveal itself within three weeks, much less that they could fix them in that time. I really don't think there is anyone to blame except whoever was responsible for managing the project timeline. It's debatable whether most of the issues could have been prevented by programmers writing better code, but with a game this big I'd imagine it's all but impossible to anticipate everything.

Note that I'm basing all this on Hyphen (IW employee) saying "programmers going in to work when they're supposed to have paid time off gets the bugs fixed", and I'm pretty sure I read in another thread that everyone at IW had December off but I can't find it now.

cool your a game developer???

For what?

I'm only an aspiring game developer.. I do 3D modeling and animation for fun and I'm in school for software dev, and hopefully game dev soon. I haven't actually made a game yet but I've been experimenting with Microsoft's XNA framework.
Level 2

in reply to Vaaaan
ROFL, They are not our slaves.

Sure there are problems here and there but nothing that says

"Zomg, You better code day and night while you fans whip you until every single player has the perfect game from their point of view.

Seriously some of you people need a reality check.
Level 18

in reply to Vaaaan
Jake, they submitted the path to Sony and Microsoft at the same time. Microsoft is just dragging its feet verifying it.
Level 37

in reply to Vaaaan
^ I'm not 100%, But I'm pretty sure Microsoft charges companies a very large fee every single time you want to patch a game over there network.

So x-box 360 will get bigger patches less often do to this fact
Level 18

in reply to Vaaaan
The 360 will get as many patches as the PS3, otherwise the 360 community would throw a gigantic shitstorm.
Level 37

Studios