Why do console games not use numbers to represent ping?

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Forum

Why do console games not use numbers to represent ping?

I cannot think of a game for a console that uses actual numbers to represent ping. I used to play PC games back in 2002-2005, and they all used numbers to represent ping. They displayed the ms of ping. Do consoles have some weird incapability to display the ms of ping? CoD and all other console games use bars. Why?
Level 1
16 REPLIES

Re: Why do console games not use numbers to represent ping?

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
street fighter HD-Remix uses numbers to represent ping
Level 11
Highlighted

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
Warhawk on the PS3 states ping, not that i have any idea what it means
Level 68

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
Cos the general console gamer probably doesn't care about, or even know what a ping is. Everyone can work out a graph/scale.

Think yourself lucky COD has a bar. Battlefield has nothing to let us know when we're being killed over and over due to a low ping/lag and not actually because we're crap.
Level 3

in reply to FragdaddyXXL

thebigb82 wrote:

Warhawk on the PS3 states ping, not that i have any idea what it means

hi thebigb82, can you give us any update from IW regarding match making and/or glitches, are they aware of things that ppl are complaining about?
Level 11

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
It's an easy concept: The smaller the number, the better. Ping (for those who don't know much about it) is the amount of time it takes to send info from the client to the host and back. Just like when you are host, you have 0 ping because you are sending info to yourself. The number represents how many milliseconds it takes to send information from the client ----> to the host ----> and then back to the client.
Level 1

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
I think CoD 2 or 3 did it. The whole ping system is better then colour coded bars...

I think that 250 ping is like yellow bar. Which is a quarter of a second. Which also doesn't sound like much but the average reaction time is one tenth of that, it can be extremely frustrating for international player.

So the only time I can get kills is if the enemy isn't looking at me or is just a sloth...

Ping would make everything so much more helpful. Although its not as simple as the pre-school colour coded system its very basic. The higher the number the more latency your have.
Level 7

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
The reason is because anyone who takes console games over PC games probably doesnt even know the meaning of terms like ping. The numbers would mean nothing to them, and the 4 bars are much easier to read. Especially for the majority of the people playing this game, who are under the age of 17 anyway.
Level 9

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
I've always had a sneaking suspicion the colour coded bars lie anyway, im often on full green bars and lagging, i'd like to know the ping ranges of the bars.
Level 2

in reply to FragdaddyXXL
i would really like to see numbers instead of bars as i am used to them from UT99 if i was getting like 100 or more ping it was sometimes unplayable and i would spectate and talk. also someone said that 4 bars mean 0-150 ping! so if your spiking from 89-150 you would have 4 bars but would be lagging.
Level 6

Studios