advantages of semi-automatic "assault" rifles

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Forum

advantages of semi-automatic "assault" rifles

why do people (who use them) like them in cod4?

i like semi-auto weapons, but the 2 assault rifles (g3 & m14) dont seem to have any damage per shot than any automatic AR. this is a huge disadvantage considering the higher ROF a fully automatic weapon has.

they can be more accurate, but its no improvement when i fire any AR with bursts.

i dont know why they have more damage to at least be a 2 hit kill by default (without stopping power or other multipliers).

i dont own or intend to purchase a modded controller either.

does anyone have any tips or advice on been effective with semi-autos?
Level 22
17 REPLIES

Re: advantages of semi-automatic "assault" rifles

in reply to JohnnyNutman
Some use them for the challenges. Some to be different. Some use them because they have a fast trigger finger or a modded controller and can do a lot of DPS with them.

They are also good in Hardcore. At least the G3 is, the M14 has so much recoil if you miss your first shot you'll most likely be dead.

The G3 is like any low recoil gun. Just point at an enemy and trigger as fast as you can. I don't use the M14 so I can't tell you about it :/
Level 9

in reply to JohnnyNutman
G3 - shoot the enemy - fast

M14 - shoot the enemy - slightly slower.
Level 23

in reply to JohnnyNutman
Semiautos are more effective at longer ranges than full auto + they do high damage and can be shot faster than some of the slower shoothing weapons.

Semi auto rifles require a different playstyle than full auto to maximize their effectivness
Level 11

in reply to JohnnyNutman
hmm i guess they dont suit my style.

@alihisgreat: i really like ur avatar haha. who is that chick in it?
Level 22

in reply to JohnnyNutman
these guns are really effective, but only if you have skill with them. i play mostly hardcore and can hit almost anything with the m14, and it's one of my favorite guns. basically, you have to learn to love them
Level 3

in reply to JohnnyNutman
The semi autos aren't that effective in Core mode. If you play Hardcore though, you'll know how good the G3 and M14 are. One hit kills, and extremely accurate too.

I can't do well with the M14 in Core. If I want to use it, I switch over to Hardcore. The G3 is good in both though. I use it to be different, and because it's kinda fun to use.

Some people use it because they can shoot fast. I can shoot reasonably fast, but that's not the reason I use the G3 - it honestly is a great gun.
Level 25

in reply to JohnnyNutman
They are beast in hardcore game modes.
Level 23

in reply to JohnnyNutman
M14 is very powerful 2 hit kill. Shoot accurate and fast and you could do some damage. G3 is accurate silent and deadly, you can take out big group before they notice and not waste ammo. So ya you kill with less amo and you dont just spray like crazy
Level 8

in reply to JohnnyNutman
G3 advantage: Extremly good for those with rapidfire controllers

M14 advantages: 2 hit kills on all ranges with stopping power, 2 hit kills on short range without stopping power.

M14 is great with juggernaut in softcore: 2 hit kill while your opponent needs 3 hits to kill you even with M16 -- or 6 hits to kill with suppressed weapons without stopping power.

M14 juggernaut is the bane of all stealth classes.

G3 is great without stopping power in hardcore, but is useless for non-modders in softcore because M16 fires faster with LESS recoil.

(Yes, M16 has less recoil than G3)

G3 beats M16 on extremely long range because you can fire three slow and fully accurate shots with G3 before you can burst thrice with M16.

I only use G3, because I only use western weapons, and only use assault rifles, and G3 is the only medium damage assault rifle that can be used in both hardcore and softcore.

Besides, I've played so much with G3 that I'm no longer capable of using M16 as effectively as I use G3 when it's lagging.

I don't have a modded controller and I don't even fire very fast, but I love my G3 because I used a G3 in the norwegian army.
Level 28

Studios