FoV changer - Is it alowed?

SOLVED

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Re: FoV changer - Is it alowed?

in reply to wierd worlds are these

Thank you for your comment Wierd worlds. I have always wondered who made the ultimate decision to not have dedicated servers in MW2, was it Activision, West or Zampella? We all know it takes a PC to make a console game and not the other way around.......but it seems like a total reach around to the PC community.

Level 8

in reply to jibmoney

I think it was more of a matter of time. Activision gave them their deadline like with every CoD title and they had to finish it within that timeframe, otherwise they would not have got paid. (Implying Activision actually paid them anything..well, they did. 2 years later.)

Read through this: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/24/respawn-39-s-west-and-zampella-sound-off-o...

It doesn't mention dedis in MW2, but there's some other interesting details about their "relationship" with Activision. According to this, they wouldn't have even made MW2, at least not immediately after CoD 4.

I don't think they're blameless, they could've done more for the PC community, but yeah, that's how things went. And without the lacks MW2 had, alterIWnet wouldn't have ever been created.

Level 2

I actually DID read the other posts. Indeed, nobody posted anything about MW2, but didn't they promise that everything would be like in CoD 4? Wasn't the whole shitstorm about, that it turned out to be different in the end? That's what I was referring to.

wierd worlds are these wrote:

I saw a video the other day and it was Guns4hire, and his kid talking and what was funny is that his kid said he would rather play Battlefield 3 because it was harder.

Ok, I don't know what a kid's opinion does have to do with this subject, but I'll leave that as it stands above.

To many games now are hand holding you when you play.

That's true, however, games that are played by millions of people are made to be "accessible" for everybody. If you want a hardcore game, CS is waiting for you.

I mean seriously tell me the last thing that was fixed apart from the "DLC files are different from the servers files" because I have not seen the host choice getting fixed, I have not seen anything added to the game to fix it, but they can add 10 more pointless level's of prestige, and can add extra map's and gametypes, but only as part of DLC.

PC gamers have to wait 4 month's for DLC, we have to wait around 2 month's for patches if not longer.

True, I agree with most of it. I actually encountered that error even after the patch. The delay however is partially because of their deal with Microsoft. They could at least release it at the same time as on PS3.

We have to put up with cheaters in the game because the developers cannot be 4$$ed to use a real anti cheat system.

Define a "real" anti-cheat system. And don't tell me you know an online game where nobody is cheating.

We have to dig around the net to find out about what the latest patch has done, because we don't have anyone in IW who are willing to tell us the information.

True. I'd like to see the patch notes posted on Steam, like with every other game. That would give some information to the people who want to know what the patches are about.

We have pointless members of staff showing there faces because there were complaint's made, but those members of staff are probably just being told "say whatever you want but don't promise anything or say we will do anything".

Probably. But we can't take that for sure. Time will tell.

Screw IW and there crappy console ported game, with no support or fault fixing.

Actually it's a good port in my opinion, at least in terms of performance optimization. Look at Black Ops. The graphics were mediocre and yet did it lag, even on the newest hardware. Now look at MW2/MW3. Graphics aren't much better, but I can play it on my laptop (which isn't really powerful) on high settings and with 2x AA.

Well, for now that's all I have to say.

~ArmsOfSorrow

Level 2

I will not believe a word that is said on behalf off Valve from a member of staff from a company who is known to lie and cheat to get ahead.

The FOV changer inject's in the same way that a Cheat inject's itself in to the game and because of that, it can be detected as a cheat and get you VAC banned.

Until I see it on the Steam Forums or the in the News section on Steam saying it will not get you banned I will not be using it.

Ok, now you can see a post in steam forums:  http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2737088

Level 5

in reply to ArmsOfSorrow

ArmsOfSorrow wrote:

She already updated her post, saying that Valve doesn't ban users for changing their FOV

@candyslexia: Is there any chance that you can just patch the FOV to 80 by default? I mean it doesn't sound like much of an effort when having an SDK.

Not before I posed the question:

And a "default" FOV is not what anyone's asking for; we want what we've always had before: CHOICE.

you guy's can keep changing, and rewording the conversation all you like; but the simple truth of the matter is CHOICE.

And don't pull the extreme, straw man out of the closet; no one EVER suggested NO parameters:

But we will not be buying any more LOCKED DOWN, LACK LUSTER, UN CUSTOMIZABLE, FEATURE DEFICIENT, UN MONITORABLE, WAIST OF BANDWIDTH, AND SPACE, PIECE OF GARBAGE.

I will not write ANOTHER list of features that this game is deficient of.

I read nearly every post in this PC section of the forums AND I DON"T GET PAID TO DO IT; so please do not insult our intelligent's further; with you claim of artificial ignorance.

You know who we are, and what we want: You have been put on notice. Delete away, I will simply re post.

MW3 IS BEYOND REPAIR....But: if you intend to sell future tittles, to the PC community; you had better wise up.

Poison_pawn POC (pc only community)

Level 5
Highlighted

in reply to PoisonPawn

I think some of you guys need to do a bit more research into the developer/publisher relationship before pointing the flamethrower at IW only.

From a publisher's point of view Activision (IW past or present is largely irrelevant) couldn't care less about the PC side of the CoD franchise and certainly won't take historical precedence, as an indicator as to where they should be concentrating their investment for current and future titles. PC is alot of money/manpower for very little return in comprison to consoles and as far as a publisher is concerned that is all that matters. The vociferous PC "community" (I hate that word when it comes to gaming) is about the only thing stopping Activision from dropping the platform altogether and believe me if Activision don't want to publish a CoD title for the PC then there is nothing that IW or anyone outside of that company can do to change their minds, as they hold the distribution and marketing budget/resources.

IW are not going to deny Activision decisions on how the multiplayer experience is delivered (no ranked dedicated servers) because to do so would mean the publisher taking their title investment and publishing deal to another company. This is in essence what has happened anyway - Activison have bought in Sledgehammer and Beachhead and have managed or are managing IW and the turbulent members of that company out (I use the word turbulent in a priestly sense ;-) ).

IW as it stands at the moment is probably doing what it can with the revenue it is getting and more importantly within the remit granted to it by Activision. BTW a normal deal on a $60 title grants the developer about $15 per copy and this time round there are 3 companies sharing that revenue, one of which is supposed to be running a "managed service" (aka Elite). Oh another reason Activision probably don't care for PC is that selling through Steam cuts down their margin in favour of the developer (last time I looked it was roughly $30 to the developer on a $60 title). I expect the deal for IW is worse though since the corporate shenanigans after MW2 have no doubt left Activision with a "new" deal, which I doubt is anywhere near as good as the previous one.

Summary is therefore, you can bitch and moan all you like to IW, but you won't get ranked dedicated servers when that service would compete with Elite (the strategic direction Activision is following) and mod tools (or any other avenues into the IP) are just out of the question.

Oh and I wouldn't hold up BF3 as some shining alternative, as EA have essentially replaced Steam/Valve for distribution by running it to market via their Origin service and hence I expect the terms Dice have are a million miles away from the more attractive traditional Steam/Valve deal.

The reality as I see it, is that there are 3 choices:

1. Stick with what you have and try to get change with what little influence you can given that you are not talking to the decisiion makers here (GHANDII had to go to Activision recently just on the upcoming matchmaking fix that's apparently in the works, as evidence of how much control they have over IW and what can and can't be released).

2. Look elsewhere for a title that delivers what you want, but doesn't feed the current publisher/developer paradigm (there's only one or two FPS developers I know of that fall outside of that).

3. Develop your own title (have deep pockkets, prepare for alot of hard work and even more aggrovation if you want to go to market or get investment outside of the aforementioned paradigm).

That was depressing to write, but from my own experiences probably realistic and I'm happy to be proven wrong....time will tell.

Level 1

in reply to Mr_Teatameh

Mr Teatameh wrote:

I think some of you guys need to do a bit more research into the developer/publisher relationship before pointing the flamethrower at IW only.

From a publisher's point of view Activision (IW past or present is largely irrelevant) couldn't care less about the PC side of the CoD franchise and certainly won't take historical precedence, as an indicator as to where they should be concentrating their investment for current and future titles. PC is alot of money/manpower for very little return in comprison to consoles and as far as a publisher is concerned that is all that matters. The vociferous PC "community" (I hate that word when it comes to gaming) is about the only thing stopping Activision from dropping the platform altogether and believe me if Activision don't want to publish a CoD title for the PC then there is nothing that IW or anyone outside of that company can do to change their minds, as they hold the distribution and marketing budget/resources.

IW are not going to deny Activision decisions on how the multiplayer experience is delivered (no ranked dedicated servers) because to do so would mean the publisher taking their title investment and publishing deal to another company. This is in essence what has happened anyway - Activison have bought in Sledgehammer and Beachhead and have managed or are managing IW and the turbulent members of that company out (I use the word turbulent in a priestly sense ;-) ).

IW as it stands at the moment is probably doing what it can with the revenue it is getting and more importantly within the remit granted to it by Activision. BTW a normal deal on a $60 title grants the developer about $15 per copy and this time round there are 3 companies sharing that revenue, one of which is supposed to be running a "managed service" (aka Elite). Oh another reason Activision probably don't care for PC is that selling through Steam cuts down their margin in favour of the developer (last time I looked it was roughly $30 to the developer on a $60 title). I expect the deal for IW is worse though since the corporate shenanigans after MW2 have no doubt left Activision with a "new" deal, which I doubt is anywhere near as good as the previous one.

Summary is therefore, you can ***** and moan all you like to IW, but you won't get ranked dedicated servers when that service would compete with Elite (the strategic direction Activision is following) and mod tools (or any other avenues into the IP) are just out of the question.

Oh and I wouldn't hold up BF3 as some shining alternative, as EA have essentially replaced Steam/Valve for distribution by running it to market via their Origin service and hence I expect the terms Dice have are a million miles away from the more attractive traditional Steam/Valve deal.

The reality as I see it, is that there are 3 choices:

1. Stick with what you have and try to get change with what little influence you can given that you are not talking to the decisiion makers here (GHANDII had to go to Activision recently just on the upcoming matchmaking fix that's apparently in the works, as evidence of how much control they have over IW and what can and can't be released).

2. Look elsewhere for a title that delivers what you want, but doesn't feed the current publisher/developer paradigm (there's only one or two FPS developers I know of that fall outside of that).

3. Develop your own title (have deep pockkets, prepare for alot of hard work and even more aggrovation if you want to go to market or get investment outside of the aforementioned paradigm).

That was depressing to write, but from my own experiences probably realistic and I'm happy to be proven wrong....time will tell.

Thank you for the reply:

I'm not going to respond to each point individually (that would take to much time from RL)

But I will say this:

All they need to do to make us (the PC only community) happy, is to scrap IWnet, and Elite for the PC; and copy and paste dedicated servers files from a previous tittle.(I.E. COD4)

That would be beneficial to them; in terms of manpower, and recourses; as well as satisfy our sense of freedom and choice.

and they can essentially continue to ignore us, at that point.(I have never found it necessary to spend so much time on a developers web site, in the past)

As it is now (make no mistake: This is not a threat, but a notice) we WILL find another game developer; and neither you or EA will have to bother with us again.

Poison_pawn POC

Level 5

in reply to shone1

I have enjoyed the substance in this thread. If money is the issue, then I would pay more for service. I wonder why Activision hasn't considered that model. As for Microsoft, if I were in control, I'd tell them to get in line. They are NOT in control.

Level 10

in reply to shone1

It is still possible to report cheaters and have them dealt with.

An update to Xifon's report tool is in process and will be released to the community soon.

Honestly, reporting has not been an issue in the past, but getting results has been. What good is a reporting tool if no one is acting on the reports. And I refer back to this cheater that was reported March 27th, and is still at it-

Level 10

in reply to shone1

Too bad, we cant play in competitive league with this FoV changer. :/

Level 2

Studios