Modern Warfare 3 "disc read error"/possible patch 1.19 bug.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Modern Warfare 3 "disc read error"/possible patch ...

So a few days ago when I was playing online with friends, all of a sudden I get kicked from the game over to the main menu with an error message saying "disc read error". Later that day, I was playing spec ops and it sends me to the main menu with the same error message. Now it seems I cant play half a match without getting the "disc read error" message at the main menu. The steps I have taken were cleaning the disc but that did not do anything, I got a new disc at gamestop, still nothing. I also deleted all of my corrupted files on my ps3, mw3 vault videos, uninstalled/reinstalled the game data utility, uninstalled/reinstalled my map packs and free map terminal, I even updated my ps3 via system update but STILL no use. I do not think it is my new disc since it came from and was approved by gamestop plus it had little to no scratches on it. It is definitely not my playstation because my copies of skyrim, black ops, and mw2 work PERFECTLY. Which leads me to my hunch that the error messages are linked to patch 1.19 somehow. If anyone can tell me about any steps I have not taken to fix the error messages, or tell me if you fellow ps3 users are getting the bug/error message, or any information about the next patch (presumably 1.2) and whether that patch will fix it. Any feedback regarding any of those 3 things will be much appreciated. Thank you.

NinjaPenguin40
17 REPLIES

Re: Modern Warfare 3 "disc read error"/possible pa...

in reply to NinjaPenguin40

The same thing happened to me after patch 1.17 but not anymore. It would either freeze or take me to the MP menu. Disk read error probably occurs to some people after an update. My suggestion is to turn your PS3 sideways. It helped some people. Mine probably happened because the disk was kind of dirty.  My MW2 once said Disk Read Error but thats because it was dirty. Are you sure your disk isn't dirty. Though, if that doesn't work, get it on your hard drive since its the disk. Hope this works!

Athreat2u

in reply to Athreat2u

In all honesty, I see your logic with it being the patch but I assure you my disc is clean as anything

NinjaPenguin40

Oh and by the way did patch 1.18 fix your disc read error messages?

NinjaPenguin40

The MW3 disc is PS3 intensive, it is constantly writing and re-writing to your HDD. This inturn over abuser's the Optical Drive/lens.

You may find at first you will get disc read errors and then be able to play.

You will find other PS3 games will play ok with no issue's.

You will find eventually the PS3 will not recognise your COD Disc.

You will find it will recognise other PS3 game discs.

You will find as the problem gets worse it will not recognise any PS3 Discs.

Solution: Save game to HHD, we have to wait for the PS4 for that feature.

Solution: Clean your Optical drive/ Lens.

Solution strip clean your PS3, only do this if it is old and has more than 600 hours playing time on it.

Solution: If under warranty Sony will replace it.

BanHaMMer2

in reply to BanHaMMer2

It sounds logical. However how would I clean my optical drive/lens. I also have an older ps3 that I have had since christmas of 2008. Any links regarding how to strip clean my ps3 and cleaning optical lens would be huge.

NinjaPenguin40

The issue is with a PS3 Slim?

If so, I will post some links within 24 hours, I am at work atm.

Why don't you try your PS3 phatty and see how you go?

BanHaMMer2

in reply to BanHaMMer2

sorry to burst your bubble but I have the older ps3, not the slim ps3

NinjaPenguin40

ha ha your not bursting my bubble, the same rule of physics apply. I was going to post links how to strip clean a slim. I will get the links for your Phatty. Which one is it?

BanHaMMer2

in reply to BanHaMMer2

im not sure but i do know its 80gb and has 2 usb ports

NinjaPenguin40

Studios