Playlist update to improve matchmaking for those in low Xbox 360 MW3 player territories.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Playlist update to improve matchmaking for those in low Xbox 360 MW3 player territories.

Hello all,

Last night after consultation with our colleagues at Microsoft we pushed a change to the playlists that we hope improved matchmaking for those players in countries or territories with a low Xbox 360 MW3 playing population.

Could anyone previously suffering from this issue please report if this has improved the situation as we hope?

Regards,

G IH A IN ID II

Level 8
294 REPLIES

Re: Playlist update to improve matchmaking for those in low Xbox 360 MW3 player territories went live at 2am PST this morning

in reply to G_IH_A_IN_ID_II1

yes it works fine .can find now games on ebery mode.thanks very much.finally!!!!!happy holidays to all from Greece!!! P.S  the lag is horrible by the way .now please fix this too.

Level 1

Re: Playlist update to improve matchmaking for those in low Xbox 360 MW3 player territories went live at 2am PST this morning

in reply to kokoras

Lag is going to unbearable for you considering you are being matchmaked to more populated regions unfortunately.

Considering you are from Greece, you are most likely going to be connected to UK players (I presume) so yes it will lag more for you.

Don't take any offence to what I've said by the way....just stating a fact that you're most likely going to be placed with overseas hosts.

Level 51

in reply to vims2011

vims1990 wrote:

Lag is going to unbearable for you considering you are being matchmaked to more populated regions unfortunately.

Considering you are from Greese, you are most likely going to be connected to UK players (I presume) so yes it will lag more for you.

The matchmaking algorithm will search in gradually widening circles so hopefully it should find matches first in other parts of Greece and then surrounding countries before it reaches the UK.

It's worth noting that it takes a little time for a playlist update like this to take effect. The game is played by many millions of players every day but they're not necessarily those who live near to you.

But vims1990 is correct if you match into sessions that are far afield this will impact lag. If the problem is solved we're hoping more Greek players will jump online.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

Level 8

Thanks for the response G IH A IN ID II.

I've noticed that after the hot-fix, it has matchmaked me more to Australian players as I am from New Zealand.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing as I get host often & seem to lag alot more against foreign players but I understand that for players in low populated countries, it's great to see them finding more games.

This isn't intended to be a racist or offensive response, I just prefer less lag in my games.

But as I have read from your previous posts, you'll be doing more tweaks to the lag comp system placed in MW3 after the holiday break.

Again, thanks for the continued support & Merry Christmas to you and the dev team

Level 51

in reply to vims2011

vims1990 wrote:

Thanks for the response G IH A IN ID II.

I've noticed that after the hot-fix, it has matchmaked me more to Australian players as I am from New Zealand.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing as I get host often & seem to lag alot more against foreign players but I understand that for players in low populated countries, it's great to see them finding more games.

This isn't intended to be a racist or offensive response, I just prefer less lag in my games.

But as I have read from your previous posts, you'll be doing more tweaks to the lag comp system placed in MW3 after the holiday break.

Again, thanks for the continued support & Merry Christmas to you and the dev team

Hello vims1990,

The matchmaking algorithm will always prefer a local session if one is available. And will expand the internal region first before country is factored in. Hopefully any frustrated New Zealanders who have been put off by long lobby wait times will now come back online. Spread the word.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to you too.

G IH A IN ID II

Level 8

Ghandi said:

The matchmaking algorithm will search in gradually widening circles so hopefully it should find matches first in other parts of Greece and then surrounding countries before it reaches the UK.

The matchmaking algorithm will always prefer a local session if one is available. And will expand the internal region first before country is factored in.

I think that this algorithm does not work properly.

I said that with region locked search I was able to find 10 or plus games under 50ms where most of the players were italian like me and where there was no problems during game play, almost all the  times.

According to what Ghandi says, i should not have any problems even with that type on matchmaking, because the algorithm will search in gradually widening circles.

But it is not happening.

I am not able to find more then 1 or 2 matches under 50ms. When i found one, after restarting many times the search, i play with people all around the Europe or more (few italians), from Spain to Russia (5.000 km away)

This kind of mixed lobby will create a lot of problems for everyone i suppose, because everyone has 3 bars and the gameplay is  affected by a lot of "wtf moments".

So i think that there is a big problem with the widening circles. The first one is too big because it includes a very large territory (for my experience from Spain to Russia).

Is it possible to reduce the first circle to the region of the player, or it will affect the people who play from low populated area?

For me this kind of matchmaking makes the game unplayable.

Ghandi i am waiting an answer, thank you.

Level 4

in reply to Demultanocte

We are rolling out another hot-fix at 2am PST we hope will finally address this issue. We are using IP geo-location to determine a player's region. We have discovered that some countries in the world have many regions with transient or unregistered locations associated with our IP lookups (in cases as many as 30% of the country's regions). We have consulted with MS and are rolling a change tonight that we hope resolves this issue.

Cheers,

G IH A IN ID II

Level 8

Thank you Ghandi, can you explain how the ip geo location is related with widening circles and ping?

Is this hot fix only to improve matchmaking for those who play from low populated areas or will improve all?

Level 4

Ghandi,

Are you simply reverting the matchmaking changes? Or tweaking them?

What (if any) changes are coming to those of us who live in the states in highly populated cities?

Level 2

Studios