Teammate Abuse

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Teammate Abuse

This is probably nothing new to any of us... but been noticing this quite a bit lately. While there is the usual trash-talking/cursing from one team to another... I've noticed more and more, however, that there is a ridiculous amount of abuse being handed out to people on the same team.

Take my last match of the night, for example. I happened to have a great game (by my standards), going 19-8 in HC TDM, including a nice triple pred at the end of the match (not relevant, but I rarely get to brag about those ). Two other teammates also got 19 kills, so you'd think we'd won... but you would be wrong. We lost 6600-6900. Two of the guys who got 19 kills had double digit deaths, and the other three guys had negative scores, including one guy who went 0-6.

In the middle of the match, one of the guys who was doing well decided to call out someone on the team who wasn't. He started ridiculing the player, calling him "trash" and "garbage". As you can imagine, the player he was directing those insults at  didn't take too kindly to it. Needless to say, the rest of the game was basically a shouting match between the three lowest scorers on our team and the two guys on our team having success. They continued to hurl insults at them, while the struggling players argued "it was just a game".  It was truly like being on the playground with a group of five year olds.

I chose not to participate in this for one simple reason. I've been in those players' shoes. I've had games where things just didn't seem to go right. Where nothing I did worked. Where I got hit markers instead of kills. Where I would spawn and die. It happens, it doesn't mean you are trash, it doesn't mean you are garbage, it doesn't mean you "suck" at the game. It simply means you had a bad game.

That being said, I understand the other side as well. It can be frustrating to be doing well and fail because others weren't playing up to standards. I think part of being a good teammate is adjusting your game when things aren't going well for you. If you are a sniper, and you are 0-6, switch away to another weapon which might give you more success. If you are running and gunning and taking death after death, switch to a more long range class and slow down your play.

The biggest thing is, we all know how this game is. I don't think there is a player who's ever picked up a controller who can say there haven't been games in which things just didn't go well for them (if you've never had a bad game, more power to you... the rest of us are human). The guys on your team are trying, and if they are failing, there isn't any need to tear them down further. They are frustrated enough, and berating or belittling them just makes them not want to play hard for you. Be the bigger person, communicate to them, call out enemies, and try to encourage them. If they are just hopeless... just go ahead and leave the lobby once the match is over. They're your teammates... you're on the same side. Whats more important to you... your character or your stats?

And for those hopeless few who intentionally antagonize and detract from your teams' play? Go away... nobody wants you in the game.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
52 REPLIES

Re: Teammate Abuse

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

If you play with randoms I think you have to expect that your team will have some properly bad players on it. Especially if you are any good, the game clearly tries to even up the teams.

If you can't get your head around that its time to get a party/clan going. (not having a crack at you, I mean in general).

PS. I got a quad with a pred last night on Arkaaden (at the top of the stairs by the front sliding doors). Brought up my reaper. Good times.

Message was edited by: xblbw

Level 9

in reply to xblbw

Absolutely. My favorites are the people who don't voice their strategy and then blame the rest of the team for everything that happens to them. Like you said, if you don't want to play with random people, get a party together. Otherwise, you have to work with what you are given.

I had a few winners on my teams tonight, I have to tell you. Played on my least favorite map, Liberation. On 5 seperate occasions, I watched as players on my team laid prone... just on the other side of a wall or rock from the enemy. While waiting to respawn I watched a sniper on my team crouched next to a wall with his MP9 out... while literally right on the other side of the wall from him stood an enemy sniper. <Face Palm> I had to bite my tongue on that one!

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

in reply to xblbw

That seems untrue at times. I've been in pre-game lobbies with bad people and good people and still ended up getting ripped off. For example, I have a 3.37 TDM k/d and a 2.60 OVERALL k/d. (No, I don't camp, I don't spawn trap, I Don't run with parties every single minute I play) I got into a lobby today with 2 people with .55's, 5 with 1.00 exact, and 4 with 2.00 plus. I get on the team with the .55's and 3 kids with 1.00's 4 games in a row! The 4 people with the 2.00's weren't in the same party because in the 5th game he asked the other 3 guys and me if we wanted to party up. All 4 of those games I had 50 kills and 10 deaths but still lost because the server expected me to be the team instead of giving me a team. After the second game it should have said "hey, these guys suck balls at this game. Lets give him atleast 1 good person." I mean I know my K/D is above average but that doesn't mean I have to be on my own team/carrying teams.

Same goes for the people that don't do good at this game. It puts them on the same team just to get them raped over and over by a good team. Trust me, I know. I used to be one of those bad players.

Level 2

in reply to kingtabaclispe

In a nutshell ... That happened because it does not only look at your kdr. It considers a lot of different data from each individual player then weights the team accordingly.

There's more to how teams are created, but, sans parties (and if there are less than six in a party, you can predict who the remaining players will be on that team, as well), that is how teams are decided.

That is N O T how lobbies are created. Understand, please, that is NOT how lobbies are created.

It is ONLY how teams are created once a lobby has been created.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to kingtabaclispe

Granted it does do all sorts of funky things, like put all the good players on one team, all the split screeners on one team etc.

But in general in my experience it tries to even things up.

Level 9

in reply to xblbw

You're experience is 100% accurate. I was part of a discussion about this one night with Ghandi and he said that, though the team-making aspect uses more data than I mentioned, I had the general concept right.

There is no short and sweet way to explain the details of how team-making works. I guess the easiest way to say it is like I did earlier: each person in the lobby is weighted by a whole bunch of statistics.

Even people in a party are weighted. If it is a party of six, then the other six members are automatically placed on the opposing team. But if there are, say three players in a party, they are weighted and then the other players are divided up to weight each team as close to the same as possible.

Unfortunately, when a party is in the mix, it is just about impossible to weight the two teams so that there is an actual balance in skill as measured by objective results.

The emphasis, starting with MW3, upon clans has made it much more difficult for lone wolf players to play against other random players. However, that's only because with more incentives to play as a party, there are more parties in the population than there has ever been in the past.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

To be honest mate, I'm one of those players who can get frustrated by random players who are letting the team down either by dying alot in TDM or not playing the objective.

My solution to this was to play in a party if I couldn't handle the stress of playing with other solo players than to constantly abuse them in which those two other players should have done if they couldn't handle playing with random teammates.

Level 51

I know what you mean about that, on one hand i do have bad matches, on the other i do great. the only problem i have with this is when theres a lvl 20 prestige and for 8 or nine games they go negative and dont place. -_-. i stick to leve 5 prestige and i jump into random games and see lvl 15s or lvl10s doing trash and then i can see a non prestige going 33 and 4? if you have enough time to keep leveling and prestiging dont let a level 5 show you up.

btw idk but i some how got a trip pred by guiding it into one of the triangle pieces of the dome.... shouldve heard all the profanity that went on.. ( ^o^)

Level 1

in reply to daark235

I think Prestige can be misleading. Some people underestimate players who don't prestige. I find that people who sit at level 80 will just stick to one or two weapons over and over again. People who prestige, like myself, tend to try leveling up a variety of weapons. I know that there are certain weapons I am just not as strong with(or some weapons that just aren't that strong ), and I struggle when using them. Maybe I am crazy, but I have more respect for players who are willing to struggle with a variety of weapons in order to achieve something than I do for players who never go out of their comfort zone and just stick to one weapon or setup.

Having said that, when I am working on leveling up weapons I try to do it so that I minimize any negative effects on my team. If I need to play more of a support role or sit back and be a bit more campy than I normally am, then that is what I will do. Needless to say it comes with mixed results.

Activision Ambassador

Studios