Why can't we turn off music?

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Why can't we turn off music?

A simple question, for such a simple feature to implent in options. The one thing i would LOVE to do most is to turn off the music. Why can't the developeres make an option that allows you to turn on/off the in game sound and a SEPERATE option to turn on/off the MUSIC? I do not understand this.

Honestly, I hope I'm not alone on this one but man I really do not like music in call of duty games..

I'm an old school PC gamer (who plays on ps3 now) and i never had to put up with music in a video game like this before. i really don't understand why they need to play music when your teams having a victory, or when you are in the lobby. I just want to be able to listen to the in-game sounds without any music and i want to be able to sit in the lobby without any music (i'm trying to talk to my friend in lobby and i have the stupid music playing and can't hear him good...)

like really, is it necessary to play music when you are winning/losing? some might say "oh it's to let you know you are winning and pump you up!" I'm  not a little kid who needs music to let me know whether i'm winning or losing or music to pump me up during war..I'm quite capable of seeing whether I'm winning or losing on my own and i don't need a game to hold my hand for me.

I like to focus 100% on gameplay, not 90%, but 100%. I can't be alone on this, there HAS to be others that feel the same way as me.

So... why?

Level 6
104 REPLIES

Re: Why can't we turn off music?

in reply to Zaled

So people like you can not sound whore as easily only having the in game battle sounds playing and using a head set to whore the sounds.

BO started this anti sound whore thing with the loud sounds on some of the maps like the train on wmd. It makes it harder for campers or even run-n-gunners to sound whore with hi-dollar head sets.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

So people like me cannot sound whore in this game? LOL

That is a stupid reason man...

If people want an option to turn off the music, we should have that option, whether or not someones has a headset. I use to play without a headset and I STILL wanted the MUSIC OFF ( i just recently purchased a headset 1-2 weeks ago) and i've had the game since NOVEMBER.

Just because you don't use a headset, doesn't mean there shouldn't be an option to turn music off... Honestly, i don't mind if people disagree with me, but the reason you provided for disagreeing with me is stupid...you are either to immature or selfish to think something like that.

Level 6

in reply to Zaled

You do realize there are settings that allow you to adjust the game volume when talking with players. It will reduce the game volume when chatting. Infact it will completely disable it when talking if set to zero. So the excuse that it makes it hard to talk to friends other players in a lobby is fail.

I never have problems with the music affecting my chat in the game ever. Even if am using my TB's or not.

The constant music is to add to the atmosphere and to make it harder to just sound whore in the game. which makes it more of an even playing field for those that do not want to go buy headsets. Just beause you may own a headset does not entitle you have a better game experience then anyone else that does not.

Just like those that think that paying for a higher connection package from their isp should give them a better game then those that do not. LOL...

Level 70

using sound against other players is tatic. I used sound against players back in cod4 with a 10 year old tv, why shouldn't i be allowed to use sound against bad players?

now i'm all for giving players more options (hell i support mod tools for consoles)

any player who wants to be even the slightest competive has used sound to help id enemies and what direction they are coming from. since situational awareness or sound whoring as you call it makes it way easier to perpare an ambush or avoid one.

I'm sick of your posts, you seem to have the attidute of a gamer who wants a poorly balanced game that can not support competive gameplay.

Now i'm all for your idea OP. The music not only feels out of place but the intensity seems just waky.(it doesn't help the game unless you abuse the music since people deafed by it and lose some of their situational awareness.)

Level 8

Ok to add to the atmosphere? So when soldiers are fighting in a war they have music blaring in there fn ears? No I don't think so. They are trying to find their enemies, and that envolves hearing them. Im sorry if you can't afford a headset. Some of us can and the music is just dam rediculous!

Level 3

in reply to SmileUrDead1

I have a headset, so I know the advantage it gives, no player should have that sort of advantage over another player ever in the game. So no they do not need to add that feature just to make headset users happy that they can sound whore easier again.

And yes it adds to the atmosphere of the game, it is the same reason movies have music in them, with out the music action is not the same.

The music is there to distract those that try to listen to much and fail to use their eys or other equipment that is avialable in the game to be used.

And this game is not like real warfare, so do not try to bring that in to the mix. This game is not life and death. It is more akin to an action movie and in war movies they do have music to highten the atmosphere at different parts of the movie such as when a tense period starts.

Just the same as how the music plays when you get close to wining it is to add to the level of stress and excitement at that point. Will your team win, or will it loose.

A good player ignores the music and continues on with out the need to be able to turn it down. A sound whore can not though because it just disrupted their playstyle which disrupts them from doing well; because they have become to dependant upon sound whoreing to do well.

Level 70

Just when you start to make a little sense on other posts, you go and post this...

And yes it adds to the atmosphere of the game, it is the same reason movies have music in them, with out the music action is not the same.

This is purely subjective, which means it can't be taken as anything other than opinion. Some people believe it adds atmosphere, others disagree. I'm of the opinion that less music creates more immersion by allowing you to focus entirely on the actual sounds of the game and what's going on.

The music is there to distract those that try to listen to much and fail to use their eys or other equipment that is avialable in the game to be used.

Music is not a balance feature, it's there to try and create an immersive environment, but for many of us, it creates the exact opposite.

For players such as myself, who don't use Headsets, the argument has nothing to do with Soundwhoring or trying to exploit the sounds... it just has to do with getting rid of unnecessary and unwanted distractions while playing. If you're trying to play something like S&D and all the sudden the music comes up while an enemy is getting ready to round a corner, that can get you killed, even without soundwhoring.

I'm the last person you'll see Sound Whoring (I use my TV Speakers..), but being able to utilize sounds does help while playing, and the music takes away from that.

Level 35

in reply to kastro187420

There is a difference between imersion and atmosphere and how they are used in movies and games. they are not the same in what they do or why they are used.

And as I said it is not just for an immersive feature. I do not feel more immersed in a movie because of the music, it does not make me feel the movie is any more real that what it is. I know it is just a movie and it will be no more than that ever.

Music is used to create suspense and shock and awe and drive emotions up and down acording to the scene. It is really just an atmosphere changer. You may wish to called an immersion factor; but not everyone else does. You are seeking a game that is closer to reality, while CoD is not meant to be that way. It is nothing more  than a movie in a sense with player interaction that controls the outcome.

The music does not really take from that unless you are an auditory person that needs more sound interaction to do well. Where as a visual person does not require the sounds to be as quiet beause they focus more on what they see and not what they hear.

It is only and unwanted distraction because you have yet to adapt to it and ignore it when it happens. I never let the end game sound music affect me and how I play. It does not distract me at all ever. Those that it distract are those that rely to heavily upon listening to everything regardless if on a tv or head set. There is another sense that is just as important when playing the game your eyes and paying attention to who and what is around you at all times by actually looking around.

Level 70

Yes, they implemented this to prevent soundwhores. Then they decided to throw in Sitrep Pro to contradict themselves.

I used to have respect for you and your posts when I would randomly stroll around the forums, seeing what's new. Now you just seem like a troll. It's a shame.

Level 15

Studios