My back and forth with Activision on hackers

Call of Duty World at War Forum

My back and forth with Activision on hackers

Schnippshly wrote:

There are hundreds of people cheating on the online multiplayer of Call of Duty: World at War. Any given match is guaranteed to have at least one cheater. They will spam a message in the game (as though they were typing in a PC game), and they will often fly around the level and be unkillable.

This problem has been going on for months and nobody has done anything about it. When will it be fixed? Someone with the proper authority could log into any match at all, find the cheaters and then know exactly who's cheating.

It is such an obvious problem that I'm shocked it has been unfixed for this long. Isn't Call of Duty supposed to be a pretty prestigious title? I bought this game and all of the map packs so as you can imagine I would expect some actual customer support.

Christopher Huckins wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, this game was created before most of these hacks existed, so the developers are now catching up and looking into ways around these hacks. There isn't a fix at the moment and we apologize for the inconvenience, but if you keep an eye on the forums at www.callofduty.com, you will be able to see any updates from the developers since they moderate the site.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime! Thanks for contacting Activision Technical Support and have a great day!

Oh, wow, the hacks came out AFTER the game was released, so I guess Treyarch doesn't have to fix it! Usually hacks come out BEFORE a game is released.

Schnippshly wrote:

In the time these hacks have existed, Black Ops has come out with two map packs, so I'm not convinced that they're working very hard to fix the hack problem in World at War.

I'm not worried about the hacks being removed, anyway. I'm talking about the fact that there are still hackers using the hacks.

I've seen on the Xbox.com website that they have banned a tiny handful of cheaters, a small fraction of the cheaters that there are. There are still hundreds of cheaters on all the time. They are constantly sending messages offering to host "infection lobbies" in exchange for money, and other people are asking for the infections outright. The cheaters should be banned, if not from Xbox Live, then the game itself. It would only take one person with the power to ban to log onto the game, see the cheaters and get rid of them. It's ridiculous how many cheaters there are.

I've been on the official Call of Duty forums and they are worthless. Every post is someone like me complaining about the cheaters. No Call of Duty officials ever look on the forums or acknowledge that there are cheaters.

Clint Blackwood wrote:

Thank you again for contacting us.

It is something that we are actively looking into, but sadly the resolution will not come quickly enough for the players, and we understand that. We ask that you have patience with us while we work towards a solution.

Wait until they reveal to me that they are not working towards jackshit.

Schnippshly wrote:

The solution is obvious: Ban the cheaters. Get someone to log on and just start banning all of them. The cheaters are so obvious and getting the cheats is deliberate and no accident. This has been going on for months and they remain unbanned. It's absurd. Just ban them.

A question sent to Activision has three statuses- Solved, Updated and Waiting. Waiting is when you get a response from Activision and they wait from a response from you. Updated is when you give the response and are waiting from a response from Activision. Solved is when Activision pretends that they solved your problem. They can switch your question to Solved at any time, as they did with my question shortly after I said the above.

Schnippshly wrote:

I don't appreciate it saying my problem is solved even though there are still cheaters. I paid too much money for this game and it's not nearly old enough for me to accept Activision let cheaters run rampant on it. You know there are cheaters in Call of Duty 4, too, but it's not an epidemic because they can fly up to a certain height and spam messages and not do much else, but World at War is unplayable because the cheaters are invincible.

Thinking they are hilarious, they did it again after I said the above.

Schnippshly wrote:

This is not solved. Stop "solving" it. There is very much a hacker problem and there has been for an incredibly long time. Why haven't you banned the hackers?

Jason Harrell wrote:

Mr. Schnippshly,

Our system sets incidents to "Solved" if a customer does not update their incident within 96 hours. It does not necessarily mean we have SOLVED everything.

So by updating your incident, you have now knocked it into the "Updated" status and we can continue correspondence.

XBox Live moderators can and have suspended users from Xbox Live when a complaint is filed and a review process is done.

Account suspensions can be found here: http://twe.ly/IWkb So, the correct steps are being taken to keep online gameplay clean and fun for everyone.

Here's some information on how to file a complaint against a cheater/hacker: http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/chat/terms-of-use-conduct.aspx

Do video game publishers and developers not have to take responsibility for anything? "Xbox will handle it, y'know, when they get around to it."

Schnippshly wrote:

I'm sure that there is an auto-solving 96 hour switch of some kind, but I would see my question's status change from Updated to Solved thirty minutes after I updated it and stay that way, and that happened twice in one day.

I know there have been a small number of bannings. The number of bans don't compare to the number of people still cheating online. If someone was really banning cheaters, they could join ANY MATCH and find several. I have reported countless cheaters and there are more on every day. This has been going on for months! They are constantly sending messages to all their recent players offering infection lobbies, and people without the hacks send messages to all their recent players asking for infection lobbies.

When I first saw news that people were being banned (months after the cheating had started), I assumed the cheating problem would be solved that week, but it's still as bad and unavoidable as ever.

Then Activision goes from giving me those brief, uncaring and unrelated responses typical of technical support to some autistic metaphorical bullshit.

Dumbass Jason Harrell wrote:

The thing is Mr. Schnippshly, Activision nor Treyarch monitors every lobby or everyone's gameplay, the spectrum of players is too wide. The things that you are not supposed to do

in the game are inside the manual and is displayed to every Xbox Live Gold account user. If a cheater is highly determined to cheat...he will do so. With that said, Xbox Live

moderators CAN, HAVE & will CONTINUE to monitor some games and suspend player's Xbox Live accounts for violating the Code of Conduct.

It's kind of like when a car owner puts an alarm on their vehicle and the manufacturers of that vehicle put their security measures in place, there is always some criminals

who know how to get around said "Security". So if they are determined to steal the car or something inside the car...they will get it despite the security measures.

Activision is aware, Treyarch is aware and Microsoft is doing their part by suspending the players. Unfortunately they cannot catch every single player as they have other

duties and the ability to "Hot Fix" a security feature in World at War is non-existant. Please continue to report players or only play with friends in your friend's list.

Have an excellent day!

He ignores that there are more hackers than non-hackers (making it impossible not to find hackers in any given game) and throws some ellipses at me before giving me a retarded comparison of Xbox Live to carjacking.

He also admits that they can't (or won't) stop the hacking outright because they can't (or won't) "hot fix" it.

Schnippshly wrote:

Wow, Mr. Harrell, you're unbelievable. Yeah, obviously neither Activision nor Treyarch are monitoring anything. If this happened in Black Ops, they would actually have to do something about it because that game is new. But because World at War has been succeeded by two other Call of Duty games, they would rather people just stopped playing World at War so that they could pay for Black Ops.

I don't care about any stupid car alarm metaphors. Did you even think about it before you decided to spout it to me?

This "car" is a video game and the "car thieves" can be plainly seen by everyone. If someone wants to steal a car, then yeah, maybe they'll find a way into the car, but if everyone in the parking lot can see them, then maybe security should do something about it, yeah?

It took Microsoft too long to even start banning people. If anyone actually cared, cheaters would be banned with much higher frequency. Cheaters are extremely obvious. Why do Activision and Treyarch get to be exempt from all responsibility? I paid for this game and I expect support for it, not an abstract car alarm-themed comparison.

Still waiting for this game to not be filled to the brim with endless waves of retard hackers!

I added the below as an afterthought:

Schnippshly wrote:

Actually I have a better comparison for Call of Duty cheating than that car alarm crap.

People cheating in Call of Duty is like if half of the people in a theater started talking loudly on their cell phones. They're talking so loudly that the other half who want to watch the movie can't hear it at all. Also the people on their phones are standing up and waving around and spilling pop-corn and soda everywhere.

The people who want to watch the movie can't do anything about the people on their phones because the people on their phones have magical shields (in real life this is called distance and Internet anonymity).

Only the theater security has the power to evict these cell phone movie talkers, but security would rather take a nap outside and the manager tells anyone who complains that there are other showings that don't have anyone talking on their cell phones (they have to pay to get in and it isn't the movie they want to see).

The people who want to watch the movie can't get a refund because the cell phone talkers didn't start talking on their cell phones until an hour into the movie. Now the people who want to watch the movie either have to deal with cell phone talkers (who make watching the movie impossible) or leaving, losing their money and not finishing their movie.

THAT is what hacking in World at War is like.

Jason Harrell wrote:

After all the wording, there is nothing Activision or Treyarch can do to stop the hacking. It is simply recommended that you either only play with friends in a party

or not at all due to your dissatisfaction with other online players. If you continue playing, please report the hackers/modders to Microsoft and they will do their part

in this equation.

If we truly had the ability to completely stop this from happening, we would not deny you that service. It is simply beyond our control at this point.

After all the WORDING.

Schnippshly wrote:

Wow, play with my three other friends who own World at War, huh? Yeah that sounds really fun, a four-player match of World at War. Why am I even paying for Xbox Live, then?

No kidding the only other option is "not at all". I paid a lot of money for this game so that I could play it online, not so I could system link with three other people like an idiot. "Not at all" is a crap option. I want to be able to play with 17 other players and not worry about a huge crapload of hackers joining.

Why aren't Activision or Treyarch responsible for this? Why don't they have to do anything? How about they pressure Microsoft into actually banning more people? If Microsoft was doing its job, there wouldn't be any hackers. They'd all have been long banned by now so that these "infections" couldn't spread around.

This isn't beyond anyone's control. Treyarch made the game and Activision owns it, and they're running it on Microsoft's game console. These cheaters render the online multiplayer unplayable. It's someone's job to fix this outrageous cheater epidemic and someone isn't doing their job.

Level 2
34 REPLIES

Re: My back and forth with Activision on hackers

in reply to Schnippshly
!
Level 3

in reply to Schnippshly

JayWizzle_1 wrote:

Dude, Why is this important? Go play another game!

STFU and also GTFO

Why are you in the World at War forums telling people to play something else
Level 2

in reply to Schnippshly

Jason Harrell wrote:

Schnippshly,

Since no one can answer your questions here in this office...as we are only Technical Support. I suggest you post your feelings about how things are not handled properly or

how you feel Activision/Treyarch should handle the hackers/modders in the official Call of Duty community forums:

http://community.callofduty.com/community/cod/english/call_of_duty__world_at_war/call_of_duty__world...

Ha, wow. We come full circle. Yeah, nobody but me has ever thought to post to complain about the hackers.

Schnippshly wrote:

Yeah, great idea. You think it didn't occur to me to post on the forums months ago when the hacks were actually new, or that nobody has before me? I and many other people have already posted plenty of topics on the Call of Duty forum complaining about the hackers and everyone is equally being ignored. If Activision or Treyarch actually bothered to read any of the posts, they would be aware of the hacker problem and would have figured out a way to fix it months ago back when people had started complaining about it.

Level 2

in reply to Schnippshly

Schnippshly wrote:

JayWizzle_1 wrote:

Dude, Why is this important? Go play another game!

STFU and also GTFO

Why are you in the World at War forums telling people to play something else

Hmmmm wait a minute you wouldn't happen to be Jason "Dumbass Car Alarms" Harrell, would you?
Level 2

in reply to Schnippshly
I've investigated enough to know that JayWizzle_1 is Jason Harrell, the idiot tech support guy who thinks Xbox Live = Car Alarms. So now he's on the World at War forums spamming hate on all my posts and telling me to play something else. Black Ops, maybe? Yeah, I totally would if I was a dumbass like #1 Black Ops fan JayWizzle_1.
Level 2

in reply to Schnippshly
Way to go Schnippshly! You keep this up, show them people at Activision/Treyarch what the WaW community demand.

I'm pretty sure that if hackers broke out into Black Ops the problem would be solved immediately.

Every game I go into on WaW I meet a hacker, they're not that hard to spot. I've reported the ones I have seen yet they haven't even been banned! So I guess my efforts are for nothing.
Level 1

in reply to Schnippshly
and by the way, JayWizzle or whatever the f*** your name is. Get your act together.

Some people still completely love this game, obviously something you don't. If you're favourite game was over run by hackers wouldn't you complain about it if the Dev's did absolutely f***ing nothing about it?

You say you are, but it's not helping. I still see and report hackers and it makes no ifference as I check their playercard a couple days later and... no ban.

Crawl back in your hole.
Level 1

in reply to Schnippshly
Thanks a lot, I definitely get the fairly obvious impression that Activision and Treyarch don't care about us people who still love to play World at War. It's definitely my favorite Call of Duty, and it just blows my mind that there can be such a huge hacker problem for such a long time on the most popular game series in existence and nothing is done about it.

They would definitely fix Black Ops if it had problems, even Modern Warfare 2, because they're "new" and they're the games they want everyone to play. One of my dumb friends immediately bought Black Ops and all of the map packs once he knew the hackers weren't going away. Way to reward Treyarch for its laziness!

Unfortunately there's really nothing these tech support guys can do about it. That's the problem with the game industry. If you want to contact a company, you can only get a hold of tech support, so the company really doesn't have to take responsibility for anything.
Level 2

in reply to Schnippshly
I'm posting this for posterity even though, as is typical with tech support, nothing happened.

Nathan Tyree wrote:

Hi,

We are very much aware of the issue at this time and the hacks are being looked into.

However, at this particular moment, there is nothing that we can have you do to fix the problem.

I have your complaint written down with us and we would be happy to use this incident for future reference.

Any updates to this issue may be posted on the World at War official website at http://www.callofduty.com/codww.

Thanks!

At least it wasn't Jason "Car Alarms" Harrell!

Schnippshly wrote:

Well there's definitely nothing I can do about it, my idiot friend bought Black Ops and all of the map packs immediately after he realized World at War hackers weren't going away, rewarding Activision for their laziness and awful support.

Yeah I already said that here but I think it beared repeating.
Level 2

Studios