Ghosts Extinction

Do you run with the Grach?  Since challenges are the least important thing (score wise), I seem to always screw my score going for the 2 challenges you mentioned (pistol challenge and prone) because my personal and drill protection score suffer so much.  Thinking the magnum might be a better choice.

H2Oslider24

I use the grach just for the chance to be able to do the accuracy challenge. Its almost impossible to use magnum to pick up your accuracy enough for the 50%. It's mostly a preference for what challenge annoys you the most. Magnum would be good for pistol challenge because you can knife once and then pop them and it would usually kill in one hit unless you hit the armor on their head. Prone challenges you should abuse the traps. Plant a sentry on a electric trap and go to your grenade turret. Be in a place where you. Go prone right under your grenade turret and make sure it allows you to grab the turret. Lay prone for the challenge and only hop on the gt if somethings coming towards you or the drill and then quickly go back to prone.

Jon_the_Chief

Actually, when you get to the point where you have the map mastered, challenges are the only thing holding you back from a "top page score" or simply improving your score.

The 2 challenges you mentioned are the ones where you are forced to end the game bcuz of so much score loss, or simply just skip and take the challenge score loss.

Depending on the hive/area, the challenges you get CAN be dealt with as long as you run it plenty of times and are prepared for ANY challenge.

I found the trap challenge in the third area very annoying, same with the leper challenge, 50% etc...So if you dont get any of these on the first hive then I would just end game. Honestly, if by the third are you dont get any of these then you can bet on getting them in third area, why continue?

If a high score is what youre looking for, then I would end game after game till you get the trap challenge on the first hive as that is just a major reason why Ive ended so many score runs in POC. Its just impossible to complete that without losing score.

Good luck with the challenges.

FYI - Magnum deals the most damage so its a better choice as you can complete the pistol challenge without really the help of a flare and still can do the 50% challenge as long as its only scouts aka first area. The P226 is better for COOP score runs as you can max out your damage for your teamwork on the 50% challenge by shooting the aliens on the flare, same with pistol challenges. Trying to max out your damage with the GT on those challenges is a nuisance, that works so much better. Try it.

Good luck with your score runs. Glad youre having fun doing so and im sure you see this game in a different light, which is good to see..

Profound61904
in reply to spudchucker22

I ran 8 relics with 1 down then tried again right away and got 8 relics 0 downs. I think I only ranked 123 or so globally... a little bummer but I know I could have improved. I failed one challenge (maybe 2 but I don't remember) and the run back got a little messy with 2 rhinos spawning in each area. I was sure I was going to go down but made it out. I kept running around the city to get away from the rhinos but as a result I didn't get out until about 1:27 which wasn't very good.

When I spent my skill points I didn't put anything into my pistol (I used the magnum) until I had my GT at +3 and sentry guns at max. I hardly used any bullets at all... only GT for the most part. I put 2 skill points in the sentry right away for the 75% challenge on the first hive then got my GT to +3 for the larger ammo capacity then sentry all the way maxed out.

Hey Jon - What affects the escape/run back score on POC? Time? Damage taken? Do you know?

EastSideRocks
in reply to EastSideRocks

I don't think damage taken, accuracy, or even going down effects your escape score (experts??).  My understanding is it is only based on time and amount of relics.  Here's what I understand from what I have read from what Vulture published (hopefully someone that knows more can confirm):

You get 30,000 for just making the run back (no matter what)

You get 150 SPS (score per second) for every second left on the clock, not dependant on how many relic.

You get an additional 25 SPS per relic that is used.

So take your escape with 1:27 left and had on 8 relics.

30,000 (Nuke Bonus)

13,050 (150 SPS x 87 seconds left)

17,400 (25 SPS x 87 seconds left x 8 relics used)

60,450 Total for run back.  So every second lost is costing you 350 points if you have 8 relics....hefty.

Vulture also talks about a "Relic Bonus".  It multiplies the escape time with the relic multiplier and adds that to your total score.

Like I said...hopefully someone that knows better than me can give some input, but thought this might get them started.

H2Oslider24

From my understanding, it's purely escape time.

Stinky666
in reply to spudchucker22

Different ways I've managed to F up my 8 reic solo attempts...so far:

1)  Unknowingly leave a GT behind at the last hive with 1 shot left, thinking it was empty, plant the drill and then realize I can't drop one. I've done this at least 5X....sucks getting old.

2)  Drop a Sentry instead of GT, not having enough $ to still drop a GT.

3)  Miss rhino with hypno knife...don't ask me how...

4)  Meant to set drill down CLOSE to hive but plant it instead.

5)  Forget to upgrade anything after getting into 3rd area, realize this on the run back, panic, stop and try and upgrade pistol, abused by rhino and his buddies, gameover.

6)  Mystery scorpion at final hive, can't see him but apparently he can see me.

7)  Fall off map on final hive....leads to 3 downs...also back off cliff at 1st barrier hive on run back.

8)  Thinking I picked up a hypno on run back, run up to Mr. Rhino, throw....nothing.  Failed to pick up hypno.

9)  Wife wants a kiss goodnight while I'm in the midst of the final hive, F the game, happy wife is a happy life.

10)  We'll find out tonight, I'm sure I can find another way.

I know I could do this with BA, but I want to do it with feral.  The 1st 2 areas are cake, but I still struggle at the 1st hive and the barn in the 3rd area.  The final hive also gives me a little trouble, but usually goes OK.  Watched some JTC  and spiderknows videos today and can't wait to give it another go....although AW is waiting at home....we'll see.

H2Oslider24

Lmao yes, yes, yes to most. I have done the majority at some point or another haha.

The scorpion one, where it can see you and you can't it, is a serious pain in the back side, because it's the scorpion's god dang tail that can see you, and it can still shoot you, even if you're right below it - they can also shoot through floors and ceilings (think Exodus). Scorpions can be worse than a rhino in my opinion. The simple fact scorpions do the above, jump about a lot and are hard to hit, and one shot takes half of your health if not more.

Stinky666

When you set up GT on last hive, if you're facing the hive, do you put GT on left or right?  I have always put it on the left, tucked into that little corner, but I watched spider vid and he put on right, which gave him a better view of scorpion hill, but left him a little more exposed.

H2Oslider24

When looking at the hive, I place it on the left. Have it so you can see the cliff a bit, but this is what your sentry guns are for. I have both sentry guns facing the cliff and scorpions get killed instantly, so they are never a worry unless it's one that is "hidden" (as mentioned previously, where the tail can see you, but you and your sentry can not 'see' it"). On the right side, where spider puts his there is too much of a slope that, for me can mess you up by the fact you can't always place your turret easily. This is just my own experience and preference though. For me I have always done great on the left cliff side.. you could try the other side a time or two, see which you prefer ? The left side where I have mine, the main thing you need to do is shoot the scorpion that will go near the electric trap (where you turn it on, at the ladders) and of course, your sentry guns.

Stinky666

Studios