Ghosts Wii U

i mentioned this in a post earlier and thought id ask if any others change these. a while ago when i was looking into things that could improve connection, i came across a download called sg tcp optimizer. there is a test for largest MTU value and mine said 1492 (not the 1400 default).i think if you put this value in instead of default,it minimizes packet loss (or something lol, any experts?)....

The largest possible non-fragmented packet is 1464  (1492 - 28 ICMP & IP headers).

You can set your MTU to 1492....is what it said.

it also pings to several sites to give a minimum, maximum and average latency ( 17, 169 and 96 avge for me) which may help see if your having latency problems. also since bo1 kept reading about advice to change DNS settings to google ( 8.8.8.8   and 8.8.4.4 ) rather than auto dns. does anyone change these? any experts that underestand this better than i do lol? and can i take a nap now? im tired.

RAGEmajichands
13 REPLIES 13
in reply to RAGEmajichands

Hmm... As a techno amateur, I believe that changing the MTU value on your router/wii u's settings could mess up your connection. I did that before and it wasn't working correctly. I may be able to help. So, you want to reduce latency (Lag), correct?

GamebroCrazy
in reply to GamebroCrazy
not changed in router just in Wiiu settings.
RAGEmajichands

There is no magical MTU value for everyone.  Each person would have to test their connection to come up with the optimal MTU for their connection in order to reduce the chance of packet loss.  Regardless, it's not likely MTU values are always going to be the source of the lag problem.  Though this may help for some people with "poor" connections. Packet loss can be tested in many ways.  My MTU is set to 1400.  I never experience packet loss.  Or at least I haven't in any of several different connection tests including my own packet loss testing program that I wrote.    I could optimize it and set the MTU to the optimal value, but if you're not getting packet loss anyway then it really won't make a difference.

And yes gamebro, changing your MTU to the wrong number could make your connection not work at all.  You shouldn't mess with that unless you know exactly what you're doing.  Anyone can google it and figure it out, but don't just go diving into it without a little bit of knowledge.  There is a tutorial of sorts on the MW3 Xbox360 forum called the "Elagaphant"  written my mccabi.  It contains basic instructions for messing with your MTU.  And also gives the same warning about knowing what you're doing.

Edit:  I hope none of this comes off as rude or condescending.  I'm just trying to educate.  I'm not an expert, but I do know a thing or two.

like2nap03
in reply to like2nap03

Yeah, in fact, MTU is not even anything to fret about. As long as it is at it's default, there is no need for it to change. If you're really trying to reduce your latency, try turning off any devices in your home that are using the same wifi connection while your on your Wii U (Ex. Phones & Tablets). I got many other ways you can do to reduce it but this is sometimes the most common reason.

GamebroCrazy
in reply to like2nap03
not at all, like I said I don't really know much about the MTU but what about DNS? do you change yours or use auto DNS? used to use openDNS but just use goggle more. oh I'm wired btw but that adapter throttles the crap out of your speeds but much more consistent than Wi-Fi
RAGEmajichands

RAGEmajichands wrote:

not at all, like I said I don't really know much about the MTU but what about DNS? do you change yours or use auto DNS? used to use openDNS but just use goggle more. oh I'm wired btw but that adapter throttles the crap out of your speeds but much more consistent than Wi-Fi

I do typically change my DNS and set the Wii U IP to static, but only when I'm connected to the router.  My ISP only gives out dynamic IPs.  So it gives the router an IP address.  That's my gateway, and then I can changes things on the Wii U from there.  If I were to connect the Wii U directly to the modem, then I have no choice but to use DHCP unfortunately.

So yes, I set my own IP and DNS when the wii U is connected to the router. 

like2nap03
in reply to like2nap03

DNS

ricardozeze1010

Since I don't feel like typing a book, read this:

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/1849?start=0&tstart=0#qos

That link jumps to the QOS section so you'll have to scroll up.  It's the thread I was talking about above.

like2nap03
in reply to like2nap03

that was a good read, thanks. that should be on here somewhere so when ppl statr spouting out crap, we can point them in the right direction. funnily, he says to use google dns as i stated in my op. and also mtu at 1492 (in my case testing with that download) so im happy to see im going in the right direction. never got to read foxhounds post he referred to but maybe that should be on here too

RAGEmajichands

Studios