What Is The Maximum Bandwidth That A CoD Game Needs? (Online Multiplayer..Obviously...)

Ghosts Wii U

or maybe the question should be how much upload does a CoD game need? The point is, there isn't an infinite amount of information that the game can send out at once. The question is what is that maximum? Obviously, the higher your speed and your bandwidth, the more you can be doing on a network at one time, but taking all of that out of account, how much does (or should) CoD online take? If it varies between games, then we'll hold it specifically to Ghosts.

the1andonlyIKY
21 REPLIES 21

I don't have time to do the math for you right now, but I'll give you some numbers.

COD games use roughly between 1.05 and 1.3 Megabytes a minute.  We'll say 1.25 on average.  How hectic the match is and whether or not you're hosting effects the number.  Hence the variation.  So convert that to megabits and then figure out how many megabits it uses per second.  Then you'll know the required speed. 

If you're wondering how I know this I was previously on an internet connection with a data cap.  So I had to keep up with how much data I used.  Those numbers come from the data tracker my ISP used.  It also matches up with what I have read on some techie forums. 

like2nap03

I see I see I'm not looking to do a lot of math, but I am curious lol. I may get online here soon

the1andonlyIKY
BobbyMcGee

every support page ive ever seen says most importantly to be wired, with no other activity taking place on your network. high upload speeds (in game bandwith) are great, but mean nothing next to wired STABILITY!!!

BobbyMcGee

I knew it was mentioned on a support page somewhere.  I didn't have time to look it up though. 

Ok.  Math.  Either I'm too tired to do this right, or the math doesn't make sense.  Also I just realized that the data was total data.  Meaning upload and download.  So the math won't help.  I'd say bare minimum download speed should be 0.6Mb.   That can "handle" the game, but I wouldn't run an operating system with the bare minimum amount of memory you know?  So I'd say stick with what Bobby and Nintendo say.  1Mbs should is more than enough to handle everything without causing you any issues. 

Now what about upload?  0.5Mb should be enough to handle it.  You start getting  too much less than that though and you won't be rendering on the enemy screen properly.  You won't be uploading data properly.  This will give you an advantage in some situations and kick your tail in others.  I can't remember which is which.  Too tired.  Crazy day at work and my brain is fried, but 0.5Mb or higher should do just fine. 

like2nap03

/\ what this guy says lol...trey once metioned someone being ok with somewhere near 500-700kbps upload in-game, so yeah. it seems most fall in that range, then some are in the 1100kbps range like myself, which is a 20 down internet plan, then others with the high speed 50 download 4-8 upload and you guys are in the 4000's.

BobbyMcGee
BobbyMcGee

just ran a speedofme test through my u's browser. 12.18 download, 1.14 upload, 60ms ping to chicago. be patient during the test. the testfile is downloaded, which is how download gets calculated, then half of the file is sent back to speedofme servers to determine upload. the upload portion of the test will not be displayed using internet explorer or the u browser, so be patient.

BobbyMcGee
BobbyMcGee

Studios