Amplify perk is unfair for people who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired

Ghosts XBOX 360

I am creating this discussion because I believe that the Amplify perk in CoD:Ghosts is a huge disadvantage for the deaf or hearing impaired players. I am not just speaking out for the deaf and hard hearing people, I am also speaking out for myself because I am also deaf/hearing impaired. I am deaf in my left ear and impaired in my right with a cochlear implant since I was born deaf. I have a Turtle Beach headset, and I tried using amplify, and I cannot benefit from it. I cannot even hear out of my left ear, so I cannot detect anybody from my left and I can't pick up anything much on my right. Even with the Dead Silence perk, people can still hear me because Amplify users can hear Dead Silence players. In the end, I find that the Amplify perk is very unfair for the deaf and hearing impaired people that play this game. I would hope there would be some kind of alternative, like for color blind people, they can turn on color blind assist in settings, which helps them. So for the deaf people, they can turn on a deaf/hard hearing setting that can help them. For example, the setting can provide a white light on the HUD that can tell them that people are coming from that direction when the user is using the Amplify perk. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

*Edit: I am not 'demanding' a change, I am just stating that this perk can be biased. I don't depend on the sound cues in the game, I just focus on the visual cues. I don't do very bad at Call of Duty, at least I get more kills than deaths. But it's just annoying for that one person with Amplify to get a buzz kill off you when you're about to get a kill streak because he/she knew where you were. Once again, I'm not expecting any changes, but if there are, that will be nice. My suggestion on the 'white light' indicator was only a suggestion, there are more than one alternative, but I'm not expecting any alternatives to happen. I only posted this message because I just wanted people to know that Amplify can be unfair for the deaf and hard hearing and I'm only practicing the use my first amendment (freedom of speech/press).

lucariodrybones
26 REPLIES 26

I'm starting to think that IW should have left the motion sensor in and not even bothered with Amplify. 

I feel for you OP.  This is one change I can definitely back.

Peace

COTIARA

Is the OP serious? I have a buddy of mine with no thumbs (just kidding), he constantly gripes about how unfair CoD is for him being thumbless. IW must do something to accommodate thumbless gaming community - make everyone stand still so thumbless gamers wll have a chance.

SPETSNAZ_MOCKBA

I believe the OP is serious. 

Please don't reply to my comments to make fun of those less fortunate than you.  It really bothers me.  You and I have been blessed with many skills or abilities we take for granted.  Not everyone is so lucky.  If you don't agree with the OPs request or my statement, that is fine, but there is no sense in belittling someone for something they cannot change.

I apologize if this offends, but it's what I believe.

Peace

COTIARA

Toland ... I agree with you.

But I also respectfully disagree with the OP. Amplify and Dead Silence work as they have always worked in the previous CODs they were offered. The reason players are only now noticing it is because, suddenly, sound matters whereas in the past, the community overall placed no value in sound. They placed no value in sound because they undervalued their eyes. Now that the mini-map does not show us exactly where our opponents are 100% of the time, people are relying upon their ears. In a way, people are now learning what it is like to be in the OPs shoes. The difference is they have a crutch and the OP does not. That crutch is Amplify (which has not been in every COD whereas Dead Silence has).

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
nuttin2say

I have to be honest, I had never thought of the predicament that the OP has.  Amplify seems to be this cycles most controversial mechanic, as there seems to be one or two threads about it every week.  As I've stated before, I don't use it in my loadouts, so I don't really have an opinion on Amplify per se.

But, this is the first OP that I've seen that has a real, physical problem with the perk.  It's not a matter of adapting on this one.  The OP simply can't use something in the game.  I think a better solution, to reach a larger audience of players, would have been to keep the motion sensor (with a very small radius, not BOs big), and have Amplify as a perk which allows, in conjunction with using the motion sensor, the user to detect Dead Silence users visually.  You could even make it where DS+Blind Eye counters Amplfy+MS for the true blue ninjas.  Regardless, they could tweak it to balance, and being visual, more players would benefit.   Everyone with good hearing would still have that advantage over people with not-so-good hearing.

Let's face it, rushers and campers are using Amplify to compensate for the lack of motion sensors and UAV spam.  It was just really badly balanced vs. Dead Silence till the patch.  My suggestion, just makes it fair for more people if it's going to exist.  I don't believe the devs are going to change it now, but maybe there will be some discussion in development meetings for another title.

Since we are probably still a few years from uploading COD into everyone's brains, not everybody can enjoy it.  Blind people and parapalegics most likely can't.  With deafness, though, there are some specific design decisions that the devs could make that, while maintaining the balance for everyone, wouldn't exclude a group of players unknowingly and unnecessarily.

I don't think the devs ever thought of this predicament either.

Peace

COTIARA

And colourblind players with green flashing lights on IEDs and epileptic players with Shock Charges in BO2.

SitRepPro

You would think the colorblind assist would change more than the color of player names, LOL!

And I don't have epilepsy, but the shock charges in BO2 nearly gave me seizures.  At least it's not like back in the 80s where game companies put strobe effects into just about everything.

Again, changes could be made that would actually grow the player pool while maintaining balance for everyone.  I know I wouldn't have missed anything if they had just left out the effect animation for shock charges.

I like this thread.  Gives me lots of things to think about.

COTIARA
Highlighted

Yeah I'm not epileptic but the animation on shock charges was annoying.

SitRepPro

They do not act as they did in MW3 or MW2 or BO or BO2. The game that they are the same in was pre patch MW3, then they fixed Sit-rep and the world went bonkers.

BU773TPROOF

Studios