The Most Important Element: Fun.

Ghosts XBOX 360

The Most Important Element: Fun.

I see the threads every day. People complaining about Weapons, Perks, Game Modes... you name it. People complaining about Playstyles. Trashing eachother over various perspectives on certain aspects of the game. Don't get me wrong, all of this is important to the gaming experience. But it seems we've forgotten about the reason Video Games were introduced to begin with: Fun.

Plain and simple, FUN.

What happened to it? Don't get me wrong, I have had good times in Black Ops II and MW3, but it just seems that as the Series continues forward, both the Developers and the Community are forgetting that the game is just simply supposed to be fun. I've had fun because I've made it fun for myself, but even so, the past two titles there just seems to be something missing that takes away from the experience it used to be.

So what is it? What has been lacking? Where has the fun gone?

A lot of it, of course, is just the changing dynamics and demographics of the community. A very vocal portion of the community seems to think the game exists to bolster their egos, get ratings on their YouTube or Twitch Channels, to ruin the experience for others (or Troll if you will), to exploit glitches, or just not play in the spirit of the game. We can't fix that, but we can do our part not to participate in it and report violations where necessary.

So what can the Devs do to bring the fun back? A few thoughts-

1) Matchmaking/Party System- Oddly enough, this has become worse and worse with each game. I want to play the game. I want to play with friends. It shouldn't take up most of my play time (which is increasingly limited) finding a match or trying to connect with friends. Make it so we can get on, party up, and get into a match.

2) Increase enforcer presence- Add more report options to the game and help rid the community of those breaking the rules on a grander scale. Security should be a top priority, and while not easy in a community this large I think efforts can be made to crack down on boosters, hackers, glitchers, and other nefarious types who ruin the fun for everyone else.

3)Spawn System- It isn't any fun to be spawn killed or spawn trapped constantly. Sure Good players can break spawn traps, but when a map is designed such that players spawn in front of someone else regularly, there is a problem.

What am I missing? What do you think the problem has been? Why does it seem as though the fun factor of CoD games has been on the decline? Or am I wrong? Would love to hear your thoughts, and as always, request you keep it civil. We want discussion, not trash talk or fighting.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75
28 REPLIES

Re: The Most Important Element: Fun.

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

I agree.

Vrruumm

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

You are missing how the game changed to make kill streaks the most important factor of a match and how uav spam has become worse because then previous games. and how you die faster then in previous titles. Everyone seems to want kills/dots handed to them, and they want people to die in 1-2 rounds so they dont have to worry about running low on ammo ever and getting a new gun.

Lets not forget about the general map size becoming smaller because of all the rushers not being able to handle larger maps. And lets not forget esports and how the developers are trying to make this a competitive game to basically draw in that market for future sales.

It is no longer about gaming for fun with friends but being a tryhard, having to try and be the best and alwasy beat everyone so you can smack talk about it after the match.

trialstardragon Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

So being a tryhard is a bad thing?

Vrruumm

in reply to Vrruumm

To those just seeking to relax and have fun with friends it can be. Not everyone wants to have to take the game so serious and make a life and death issue as so many that act as tryhards do. Sure it may be fun for some; but not for all that play the game. It should not be a requirement to play the game or for it to be fun.

This is just an electronic media entertainment, not reality, it is meant to be played to relax and forget about real lifes issues not add to then by having to worry if your better than someone else all the time. And that is one of the reaosns competitive gaming does not do well in this game. The focus should not be on stats but on the fun and enjoyment of playing the game itself. Yes to some stats and ego pandering/bragging is fun; but for a lot of players it is not.

With so many new stats to track and the higher amounts of streaks to get and brag about the focus of the game has changed drastically form what it was in the begining. With yt making QS/TS be cool and the new trendy thing to do it changed Cod away form the roots of what made it fun for everyone else.

If you need to play a game to brag about your stats to prove your better than someone else then a person has some serious priority issues in life and probably never learned what simple fun was or is about. This world and game has become too much about being the top being elite, being the best, being better than everyone else at any cost and that is really not a good thing to tell the truth.

trialstardragon Level 70

So would a Trueskill ranking sytem be worth seperating those that are bad and those that try?  I would say so from what you are saying that this is a great option.

Vrruumm

in reply to Vrruumm

The problem is TS does not work as it should and this game does not really use a TS system. in a real TS system players would go up and down in rank as they won and loss but in regular game that cannot happen becuase of the level and unlock system this game uses. Plus TS systems are notorious for people boosting in them or selling boosted acounts such as what happened in Halo 3 alot. Which was why Halo Reach hid the TS rating and did not show it as a number as was previously done in Halo 3. But with the removal of the 50 people became disapointed for they did not have something to brag about nearly as much they just had a division which did not make them any more special than anyone els in that same division.

TS systems while good in idea usually do not work out well in many games.

Plus you are assuming that those that do not try hard are bad players and that is not always the case either. There are some very good players that just play casually because that is what they prefer to do more in the game then be a tryhard all the time.

trialstardragon Level 70

It wasn't the removal of the 50 skill system that people were only disappointed in, it was more of the fact that their hidden skill system was useless, like CODs, and that they made the skilled players suffer when they spammed the DMR because of the "recoil", bloom.

I think that IW and ATVI could actually pull a much better TS system than Bungie did.  It has been a good 6 years now and technology has changed drastically.  I would rather see a ranking system similar to WoW's arena rating.  You get matched with and against people within a percentage your rating.

It isn't just tryhards that have big egos, so please stop saying that only tryhards are the ones that ego boost or trash talk.

Vrruumm

in reply to Vrruumm

The hidden system was the 50 system just not shown anymore. It still worked off the same basic principles as the the 50 did.

Oh I remember all the cries about bloom and how so many of the so called better players cried about it and wanted it changed to force the bullets to the outside of the ring to prevent the random ocassional headshot from happening.

Both bungies and Cods does try to do that but when there is not enough playing the list it is not always possible so it has to allow differences or there would never be a full lobby.

yes your true it is not only the tryhards but they do it the most it seems. Not often do you see many causal gamers talking trash for they dont care about it enough to do so. they are playing the game just for fun and only talk trash when they feel they are being cheated by the connection and hit detection issues the game has.

There are some very good competitive players that are polite and even treat people decently but unfortunately for everyone or two of them there is five or six that think trash talking makes them look good it seems. A little braging now and then about winning is ok but when you put down the other team for loosing or start acting like gods gift to gamers as some have done is when it gets beyond stupid. It is the few that make the many unliked when it happens.

trialstardragon Level 70

trialstardragon wrote:

The hidden system was the 50 system just not shown anymore. It still worked off the same basic principles as the the 50 did.

Trust me the hidden system didn't work.  I was the highest level(50) on HaloCharts, yet I was getting ranked with people <30 a lot of the time.

But I really am just tired by pubstomping these days.  I want a challenge and that is what a trueskill system normally did for me.  Nothing better than having work as a team to achieve a common goal, something that has been lost in the last 6 years in multiplayer gaming.  You don't have the cooperation now, like in the old days.

Either way I will enjoy the game.

Vrruumm

Studios