What happend to the good old days of cod

Ghosts XBOX 360

Ajaffaroo wrote:

Remember hardhat and dome?

Dome is still with us. It was redesigned and it's now called Strikezone.

Run_N_Gunning_C

Recycled map design. They take the 3D models, tweak them. And then apply new textures. BO2 did it with one in almost every map pack release.

It is truly sad. These studios are either that lazy. Or that uninventive. Probably both...

Deleted User

or those where fan favorites and they gave you one fan fav with 3 brand new maps. 3arc did it right bring back a fan favorite with the DLC not re-skin maps that your releasing with the game on launch that's just lazy and shows lack of caring for the consumer.

Bubbakush1

Has anyone on this forum actually ever tried to design a map?  I did a couple of them when Far Cry 2 came out way back when.  It took me at least 3 months of working on each one while getting feedback from the people who were testing it.  If you haven't ever attempted this, you don't realize the complexity involved.  First you have to make sure it is simply playable, which means you have to test and test each and every little spot in the map so you have as high a frame rate as possible.  Then you have to test and test for all the spots where the occlusion blocks aren't set right which causes clipping and screen drop outs.  And then on top of all that, you have to try to make it fair and balanced and fun for as many people as possible.  It's not easy.  FC2 can be had very cheap these days.  I challenge everyone to try their hand at mapmaking and then come back on here and call the devs lazy for reskinning maps that people find to be balanced and fun.

If it hadn't been pointed out that Strikezone is Dome, I wouldn't have known.  I've actually asked to have Dome be in the DLC.  They seem to play so differently.  That's not laziness, seems to me that is almost genius!

Now Nuketown is another story!  Can we please retire that map for good!

SheSaidNo, this is not personally towards you, your comment just related the most to what I am talking about.

Peace

COTIARA

it is laziness to re-skin maps for your new game release. if it was a DLC then it would still be laziness if all of them where re-skins. they get paid to do this its there job. are you saying you would be happy if the new car you bout was the same everything except exterior as a car made 5 years ago? 

Bubbakush1

But that's exactly how the automobile industry works from year to year.  You know how those commercials come out and state "The brand new, redesigned, 2014 Insert Car Here".  They are telling you that for the last five years, you have been buying the same model vehicle with a few bells and whistles added.  Trust me, I know I work in a very similar industry.

It's the same with all production of all goods.  The money that it costs is mainly in the development of that new model.  Product development of things as complex as airplanes or the hardware and code to run more complex simulations takes a lot of money and more importantly a lot of time.  And COD is really just a computer simulation.  The devs just used some old kids games like capture the flag and king of the hill, etc., that you can make the avatars play using the movement allowed by the limitations of the available technology.

Basically, what I am saying is yes, you and me and everyone has have been playing the same COD for the last six years.

But they are different "model years".  Ever wonder what those two words said together really mean?

When people talk about it being time for a new engine, they are talking about it being time for the next, real model of COD.  Only someone with Activision's development schedule can actually tell you when that will happen.  Personally, I think they are seeing how well the engine works with the better processing power available for the new consoles before they give a green light to any production of a new engine.  Sorry, PC guys, and I like my PC games too, but the truth is the money in console games is just too enormous for PC sales to matter in Activision's planning.  It still could be years away.

But to put it in perspective, the real MV-22 that we all love from MW3, was in development for two decades.  It's going to stay basically the same for a long time.

That's the truth about video games, but does that really matter?

Isn't it the games and the players that make you want to come back time and time again?

Remember, the games are centuries old children's games with guns.

Genius

COTIARA

To be honest I dont really understand it when people call them lazy. Sure its somewhat less work then making a brand new map, but what people who call them lazy tend to ignore is the fact that a large number of fans enjoyed that map. Dispite how much everyone complains about nuketown or hijacked, those maps were still the most frequently picked and that should tell you something.

I get that its a new game and people want new and not the old. But what I dont get is why we cant do both. Like it or not there is a decent sized portion of the community who will enjoy and be happy that they have brought back a favorite. Now if all or even half or less then half of the maps were remakes then I would agree with you.  But heres the thing, They are giving new things, infact the majority of the maps are new, even when they released them in BO 2, it was one map out of 4 (I think). You got 3 new maps and one old map.

Why cant we let those who enjoy having old maps return have their day? I mean they are not getting more then those who want new thats for sure. Are we really so greedy that we cant allow it? Must we have all new at the expense of letting down a decent sized portion of the community?

Old maps make a return because the fans of those maps want them. They make a return because there are more then enough people who will enjoy those maps to make it worth doing. I for one would absolutely love a vacant map in Ghosts.

deamonomic

The overall mentality of most players here take the whole game for granted. Its good to be reminded of how the entire game is extremely complex. Not only the fact of how labor intensive the campaign is, but how we can play against other people from around the country and the world from the comfort of our sofa's.

It really shows how spoiled and selfish a lot of players have become due to all the unreasonable and demanding complaints. I guess this is a common perspective of getting older. After all we were born after cars, planes, and tv. So its just natural for kids that are born after internet and competitive online gaming to not realize how amazing the game actually is.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

That was cool. I never noticed the resemblance and probably never would have. I haven't played Dom yet, maybe that would have helped. The biggest difference for me is in Dome I could lob frags across the map. Strikezone seems to feel more enclosed and separated.

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I like the fact that similar maps are only really being noticed now.  MW2 had 4 maps from COD4 that were pure copy and paste and Wasteland was basically Brecourt from COD2.  I see a lot of people compare Strikezone to Dome but far fewer people note the similarity between Stormfront and Crossfire.

SitRepPro

Studios