What happend to the good old days of cod

Ghosts XBOX 360

Yeah I noticed the Z shape similarity. If it is a copy from Crossfire, they made a lot of changes to it. A LOT of changes. I think the pattern is the same but the overall layout is a lot different.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
nuttin2say

Most of the templates are re-used.  Warhawk might be seen as similar to Standoff.  Speaking of those two maps.  A lot of maps have three lanes even if they're not small.  Even if you make a complete copy and paste of a map from one game to another, it can play differently due to different perks etc.  I remember Terminal in MW3 playing differently than in MW2 because of it.

SitRepPro

LOL!  I'm slapping myself in the forehead!

COTIARA

Toland, I like your post but I would like to add a couple thoughts to it.

I love the analogy to the auto industry that you make. The auto industry is a really great place to look if you want to see how economics works. Before I go there, let's talk about "engines." Chevrolet/GM introduced the "small block, V8 engine" back in either 1955 or 1956. Amazingly enough, that "engine" remained with the company through the early 2000s. Fifty years.

Some will try to argue that the engines "changed" during that period, they most certainly did. But the basis of that design remained for FIFTY years. Yet, somehow or another, some people think a game engine should be rebuilt from the ground up every year or every two years. Granted, these are two different products, but the cost, as Toland points out, is in the development, not the production.

Regardless, without getting into the specifics, amazingly enough, corporations must make a profit. I'm not going to get into an argument with any morons that think "profit" is evil while they go out and earn a personal profit every day they earn a paycheck so don't even waste your time. Focusing on a firm's need to make a profit, I believe ATVI has the economics of game production down quite well. Now, as a consumer, you may not their economic model, but the market (which is all consumers combined) definitely enjoys the product of that economic model. The best way to maximize profit is to offer a "new" product on a regular basis. But the product has to be superficially different. That's what we have here. The engine stays essentially the same, the "paint" and "chrome" changes every year. Nonetheless, at some point an overall profit maximization point for the franchise will be met and after that, then genuine major changes will become necessary.

That's part of why they are really not concerned with the PC version of this game. The predictions are that within the next five years, PCs (including laptops) will be a part of history. Phones can do virtually everything that laptops and even PCs can do, why would consumers need to buy both? With PCs on the fast track to disappearing, why invest a lot of money in producing games for them?

These things in mind, all the demands for "new engine this" and "new netcode that" are academic at best. Economics dictate what will happen when.

nuttin2say

Lol. Phones can do anything pc's can, really?  So you are saying kids are going to be writing term papers on a phone using a 4 inch touch screen? And you think businesses are going to hand their employee's an ipad for data input and expect them to produce the same amount of work they are now? Your engine theory is flawed also. GM has never told its customers they made there newest car with a brand new engine then sold the new car to the customer with the 50 year old engine design. Activision has.

lewdmouth

Yes, I am saying that is exactly what is going to happen regarding phones. Wait. No, take that back. The worlds of both technology and business are saying that ...

BetaNews - Gartner says the PC has no future

CBT Planet - The Future of Computers

The Guardian - How tablets are eating the PC's future - (I'll grant you this one speculates SOME towers may still exist, but my bet is that they'll be high end commercial jobs)

ExtremeTech - There can only be one: Smartphones are the PCs of the future

Forbes - Microsoft Still Can't Find Its Future. Is It Too Late for the Company?

That's from a quick Google search. There's far more out there saying the same thing. As far as GM goes, you made my point for me: you're absolutely correct, they never said they were using a fifty year old engine design, but, in fact, they did. The 350 cid engine has had minor differences in block design (for example, 2-bolt mains vs. 4-bolt mains), but it was the same basic block design since 1955. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that IS reality.

nuttin2say

I can't recall anybody from IW saying Ghosts was going to run on a new engine.  All interviews I saw or read mentioned how they redesigned the existing engine to maximize performance and allow them to do things they could not previously do.  Could you please post an interview or article where someone who works for IW made this claim.  You should provide proof if you are going to lob accusations of fraud.  That's a fairly serious charge in the real world.

COTIARA

TOLAND wrote:

I can't recall anybody from IW saying Ghosts was going to run on a new engine.  All interviews I saw or read mentioned how they redesigned the existing engine to maximize performance and allow them to do things they could not previously do.  Could you please post an interview or article where someone who works for IW made this claim.  You should provide proof if you are going to lob accusations of fraud.  That's a fairly serious charge in the real world.

CoD Ghosts: STILL Using the Same Engine - YouTube

Here is Eric Hirshberg (CEO of Activision)  start watching at 11:00 minutes in

Call of Duty: Ghosts - Multiplayer Reveal - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfym7fs-6w0

lewdmouth

Well, now I see where the confusion comes from.  Thanks for posting that.  I can imagine they had plenty of internal discussions to discuss this.  Unfortunate it was ever said.  My apologies, this is a legit complaint if people bought the game based off this one statement.  Has anyone written a formal complaint to the company asking for a clarification of why this was touted without the qualifications that it was the same, but modified engine?

COTIARA

The Samsung Note 2 is better for business applications than the Ipad.  I should know, I'm on a committee at my company to write the plan to perform this exact transition.  Technology changes and this changes how people work and play.  I remember carbon copies.  Ever wonder why when you copy someone on an e-mail it says cc:?  CC used to mean carbon copy.  Nasty stuff, left your hands black!

So get ready to do everything on a tablet-type device in the very near future.  It's a brave new world.

COTIARA

Studios