Dedicated Servers - Australia

Ghosts Xbox One

I know that Microsoft plans on building two servers in Australia, but as far as I know this hasn't happened yet. If we have dedicated servers for COD: Ghost, does this mean we'll be running off of Sth East Asia servers?
I don't know much about it and havne't been able to find much about it online.

lotusfrog
9 REPLIES 9

Hey Mate

As far as I am aware, there is currently only one Microsoft data centre in Australia, and that's in Melbourne. I work for a Government department, and we are currently working on a project to move all of our email to the cloud. In other words, It'll be hosted in Singapore and Hong Kong.

If you're looking for local players, you're welcome to join us - www.takecovermate.com

We have a few Call of Duty game nights. Only requirement is to live by Wil Wheaton's law of gaming.

Hope I've helped. 

moebiouz

moebiouz wrote:

Hey Mate

As far as I am aware, there is currently only one Microsoft data centre in Australia, and that's in Melbourne. I work for a Government department, and we are currently working on a project to move all of our email to the cloud. In other words, It'll be hosted in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Actually currently azure has one cdn in australia which is located in sydney .(its not a data centre in the same respects as the recent announcement of two proper data centres being built ) A cdn is more of a stop gap measure designed to cache stuff from the actual azure system to a location closer to a business.

Maccabi Level 75

Microsoft has said the 2 Azure servers under construction for Australia are to be located in Victoria and New South Wales.......both rumoured to be ready in 2014. Telstra have a vague relationship with Xbox Live through broadcasting Foxtel so they may provide something in the interim for Microsoft (pure speculation). It may be that the current player hosted listen server process prevails as a "backup" until Azure is ready. More information might surface when the COD Ghosts Multiplayer World Tour comes to Sydney in October I hope?

The thing is this would not just be a COD specific problem , but would affect the entire XB1 launch as no dedis would be available for anything. There has been some concern about this already , with many wondering just what features on the XB1 will be active in Aussie at release compared to US/Europe.

Just have to wait and see.

GooRoo

Thank you for your response guys.

A friend posted this under one of my FB posts.

"There will be 4 new dedicated servers set up in Oz for Ghosts release,they will be in Sydney and Brisbane after a Microsoft investigation found that over 78% of live users live on the east coast of Oz. Rumors say Nz will be able to use them as well"

I hope this is true because it sounds promising.

And moebiouz, I joined that site

lotusfrog

lotusfrog wrote:

Thank you for your response guys.

A friend posted this under one of my FB posts.

"There will be 4 new dedicated servers set up in Oz for Ghosts release,they will be in Sydney and Brisbane after a Microsoft investigation found that over 78% of live users live on the east coast of Oz. Rumors say Nz will be able to use them as well"

I hope this is true because it sounds promising.

And moebiouz, I joined that site

im assuming your friend posted where he got that from as it sounds very much like a rumor someone with little understanding of the azure system made up to me

Maccabi Level 75

He wouldn't have made it up himself but he didn't give a source unfortunately so I'm not sure where he got it from. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it.

lotusfrog

lotusfrog wrote:

He wouldn't have made it up himself but he didn't give a source unfortunately so I'm not sure where he got it from. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard about it.

im not saying it isnt true but the wordings wrong for a start and microsoft never release information where they data centers are (they dont just set up "servers" they install a data center which costs a heck of alot.

i would add a caveat here though people..unless you here something directly from Iw or atvi i would take any rumours or random youtube videos with a pinch of salt.

Maccabi Level 75

Yes I agree with Mac , that info would seem unlikely.

I have trawled the net quite a bit on this and there is only ever reference to these two confirmed Azure servers. There are other tidbits allowing you to join the dots and work out what might (will) happen.......but I don't want to say anything more......in the absence of an official announcement it would just serve as further speculation.

Obviously, the vast majority of players are on the east coast - that's certainly correct. I would love your info regarding the Brissy server to be correct because that's where I am......but it seems unlikley. My ping to Sydney is an acceptable 45ms or so anyway , so that's ok as well. The NSW datacentre may not even be in Sydney of course , and may well not be for a variety of reasons.....not announced either way.

We just don't know at the moment.

What we do know is that "at some stage" we will definitely have dedicated servers here on XB1 for COD Ghosts and other titles going forward..........gotta be happy about that. Hopefully it's all there at release.......we will see.

GooRoo

1 only located in Sydney to cover Aust. ad NZ. Fall back in HK.

gallp13

Studios