Is it worth the upgrade for gaming?

Ghosts Xbox One

Isn't their an optical cable on the new consoles?

RallyOrDie
Likes: 112
Posts: 925
Registered: ‎02-02-2013

RallyOrDie wrote:

Isn't their an optical cable on the new consoles?

It doesnt matter if the new consoles have an optical output. The new system runs new tech. Microsoft has made this very clear. Nothing carries over.

Link that says other wise?

mdub
Likes: 529
Posts: 2286
Registered: ‎19-09-2011

I am not talking about the microphone part, but to get the sound to the headset.  If it does then it works.

RallyOrDie
Likes: 112
Posts: 925
Registered: ‎02-02-2013

RallyOrDie wrote:

I am not talking about the microphone part, but to get the sound to the headset.  If it does then it works.

From that stand point, you may be right. Dont be surprised if Sony and Microsoft stop that from happening. They make more money, if we all have to buy new headsets.

mdub
Likes: 529
Posts: 2286
Registered: ‎19-09-2011

They will... for example, Tritton Warheads are 100% wireless. The mic is not plugged into the controller. Chat and sound are handled through a powered tower that is connected to the console via optical cable. The X1 has optical out.

It will work... and any other mic with a similar architecture will, too.

Any headset that plugs into the controller is hosed.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75
Likes: 4540
Posts: 15299
Registered: ‎23-05-2011

rankismet wrote:

They will... for example, Tritton Warheads are 100% wireless. The mic is not plugged into the controller. Chat and sound are handled through a powered tower that is connected to the console via optical cable. The X1 has optical out.

It will work... and any other mic with a similar architecture will, too.

Any headset that plugs into the controller is hosed.

What if the Xbone only has an HDMI outlet, does this still work?  I know I am screwed with my TB's, they plug into the RCA cables and controller and I don't think the Xbone is even using those old 5 cable hook up things anymore.  Just another reason to sit back and wait and see what happens at the end.

otisman666
Likes: 288
Posts: 8857
Registered: ‎03-08-2011

I'm not sure if component connections are on it or not... I would be surprised a little if they aren't since those are still capable of transmitting 1080p.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75
Likes: 4540
Posts: 15299
Registered: ‎23-05-2011

rankismet wrote:

I'm not sure if component connections are on it or not... I would be surprised a little if they aren't since those are still capable of transmitting 1080p.

It looks like it does, but this from a wiki site, It does seem to have some supporting documentation behind it, but I'm not an expert on these wiki sites.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart

otisman666
Likes: 288
Posts: 8857
Registered: ‎03-08-2011

rankismet wrote:

They will... for example, Tritton Warheads are 100% wireless. The mic is not plugged into the controller. Chat and sound are handled through a powered tower that is connected to the console via optical cable. The X1 has optical out.

It will work... and any other mic with a similar architecture will, too.

Any headset that plugs into the controller is hosed.

Could you give a link to that? Tritton has not said they will work. The audio might work. Chat will not. Microsoft has said nothing on 360 carries over.

I am not saying this is gospel but......http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

Take note of the part where Microsoft is using new tech, to take control over the accessories market. You decide if its true. Im thinking yes.

mdub
Likes: 529
Posts: 2286
Registered: ‎19-09-2011

The tech is in the controller...

The in-controller audio plug has been swapped out from a standard 3.5mm headphone jack to a proprietary MS one. This is why they will not work.

I don't have link that backs this up.

That's my opinion but it should be yours ;-),
RAN
RAN Kismet Level 75
Likes: 4540
Posts: 15299
Registered: ‎23-05-2011

Studios