Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vocal accuracy in the VH game and other GH games?

Guitar Hero Van Halen

Vocal accuracy in the VH game and other GH games?

Hi.

I have been curious about one thing with GH:VH. I don't have any other GH games and got the VH game because I am a BIG fan of Roth era VH. When I fired up the game I tried out the vocals and sang some of the classics. Now, I'm not a good singer or hell an OK singer at all and while I always wished I had a voice like Bruce Dickinson or Steve Perry, I know I can at least sing VH music somewhat ok compared to Iron Maiden and Journey who have almost inhuman like singers. Anyhow, so I sang a few songs and was able to keep my vocals almost perfectly along the visual line that you are supposed to use as a guide. I then said let me try it on the hardest setting and I was near perfect again each time. Timing my singing to the actual songs was the only issue and that gets better as you keep practicing and get your timing down. So, even on the hardest difficulty the game was saying I was doing really good. This is when I became skeptical. Is the GH program really that accurate or is there some sort of catch? is what I kept asking myself. Was I really singing in key/pitch and sounding as accurate as the program showed, or is GH just a game and it really doesn't know if you are singing in the proper note/key, etc... I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. If it is accurate then I am even more confused with my singing or inability to sing as when doing karaoke, or with a band, I can have a hard time singing in key, but when doing it in GH according to the program I'm doing very well. Is it actually that I can sing and having that visual bar somehow visually helps me keep my voice in key compared to singing live and having to hear myself without a visual assistant showing me if I'm off high or low compared to the actual notes to be sung?

well, thats my question. Is GH truly accurate when gauging a persons vocals when singing a song, or does it not even really test for that and perhaps just grades you on being able to sing at the right time with the original singer? One thing that does make me think that it actually does give you an accurate grading of your singing ability is that I tried Painkiller by Judas Priest and got booed off stage in record time. LOL No way I can scream out those notes at that range.

I hope someone here can answer my questions on GH and its accuracy at grading vocals.

Thanks,

John

Level 1
14 REPLIES

Re: Vocal accuracy in the VH game and other GH games?

in reply to JDraugr

GH is just a game and doesn't really require you to sing in the correct pitch, just find a pitch that the vocal engine accepts. I am a vocalist and I've FC'd a few VH songs on Expert vocals (justrokit on YouTube). I have been singing in GH for over three years (I have all the games from GHWT onwards which have Vocals) and in my experience, you sometimes have to sing in the wrong pitch to FC (full combo or 100%) a song. Some people also don't bother with lyrics and just trick the engine by humming or singing garbage but I prefer to sing just like the way the original vocalist sings (along with the lyrics) and that's how I know it doesn't always accept the correct pitch. Also, depending on which console you use (PS3, Wii or XBox) there are discrepancies in vocal reception (for e.g. Wii vocals are easiest).

PS This is all my opinion from my experience but there are lots of other vocalists out there who may have their own opinions. And you can also check them out on YouTube and see for yourself.

Level 3

in reply to JDraugr

GHVH Expert Vocal FC sample:

And possibly, in regards to Painkiller, if you sing it in a different octave that's more comfortable for you, you may actually hit the notes. But there are guys that have FGFC'd GHVH on Expert vocals so you should be able to do it.

Level 3

in reply to justrokit

OH MY GAWD MY EARS.

Level 3

in reply to JakeElliott1

I know I don't have a nice voice but I can FC on Expert anyway. It's just a game, not American Idol or The Voice.

Level 3

in reply to JDraugr

If I can FC some songs in WoR on Wii, you know that mic isn't picking up my singing properly.

Level 3

in reply to JDraugr

I prefer the singing in WOR. Makes me feel like the guy from moneysupermarket.com

Level 3

in reply to XenobladeHero

NOW HE FEELS EPIC.

Level 3

in reply to XenobladeHero

Is your voice really that low?

Level 3

in reply to JakeElliott1

What do you mean?

Level 3
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS