The "new" Hero HQ is finally here. I realize that the migration from the old site is not 100% complete but I thought I'd start a feedback thread so the administrators can be aware of what we like and don't like. Here's the start of my list-
- we can actually post now without the site erasing everything and having to try and post multiple times
- new features (however I haven't tried them much) like private messages
- embedding videos or pictures
- more advanced text editing (although I have to get used to a few controls like "CTRL V" for pasting rather than using the mouse
- The avatars are much smaller (and my nifty unique avatar isn't currently available to me!)
- no quote feature (as far as I can tell)
- easy to get lost in navigation around the site (once I go to my profile, how do I get back to the forums easily?)
I realize some problems may be alleviated once everything gets completely updated but these are just a few observations.
Maybe News Lad could do a tutorial blog that explains some of the changes and new features of the site?
What do the HQ members think?
Being able to post is a like? Haha, you can quote people though. I think it's in the advanced reply.
- Being able to center text. SO much better than having to use little dots and coloring them black.
- Private messages!
- Friends lists, pretty swanky.
- Embedded pictures and videos
- The Events feature seems pretty cool and could be great for games or user created contests like Rogue's Hero HQ awards or maybe a fan fic/art contest
- The new smileys. They just don't look very good, too basic, I guess.
- no fan art/fic section yet. (It's coming though, I'm guessing).
all of my stats are gone that is a definet dislike, I had had my hero hq account for ever and have been getting back on to ramp up for the Amazing Spiderman and it doesn't look like I have VIP status anylonger and I think my profile was changed although atleast my gamertag for xbox and PS3 are still linked so that is a like!!! this new site looks really cool to that is a like as soon as the bugs are all tweaked out lol
Some of the new features, like PMs, and some of the other ones that I haven't tried out yet, like events and ideas, might be cool, too.
Basically, the new boxes for posts are generally pretty cool. Different font choices and all of that is pretty cool. And it's way easier to copy and paste stuff I've written from Word, since it keeps the formatting from word now.
Not having all the old threads, though that's supposed to change eventually.
A couple of weird bugs and design quirks. One is that pressing enter doesn't really work to bring me to the next line, unless I hold it down to go down multiple lines. Maybe it's an Internet Explorer issue, haven't checked yet. The other is when I go to my profile, it brings me to the main Activision forum, and it's a pain to get back to Hero HQ. Some type of shortcut to get back would be nice.
First to Jadryx: Thanks for posting this! This is a great thread and we'll be checking up on it.
As to the other stuff: The migration isn't complete yet, but I can say that we're working on ways to improve the navigation (near future), and that all the old forum content will be re-populated (medium to farther future). Once that happens, everyone who had previous content will see their points rise quite a bit.
One thing that probably isn't coming back is "tiers" of avatars. Under this forum framework, everyone shares the same pool of avatars, even the Admins. That said, nothing's impossible as we move forward. Also, we may be able to add additional avatars to the pool, so fav avatars from the past could return (usuable for everyone).
RE: the Activision Redirect: Yup, this is a known issue and the tech folks are working on it. Note: if you ever find yourself in a section of these forums and suddenly your ability to post or comment is missing, check that your URL is still starting with "community.herohq.com." If it's changed to "community.activision.com," just replace Activision with HeroHQ, hit "enter', and you'll be good.
Can you give us an idea on what you mean with medium to farther future? It'd be helpful to know whether it's worth making/remaking a bunch of threads if it's gonna be a few months before everything is back.
Honestly, not sure. Basically it's on the "this is gonna happen" list, but well after everything else. Considering that the threads will already be dated, I'd go ahead and re-start any threads you want to see; we'll deal with the Merge-Or-Not questions later.
IIF0XH0UNDII | Chief Forum Moderator
Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, & Black Ops II
P.S. - I have no authority regarding moderation of the Hero HQ. I am simply a fellow moderator within the Activision Community. Greetings from the Call of Duty boards!
Thanks! That's super helpful info, and presented in a really easy-to-use way.