Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to black super heroes?

HeroHQ

What happened to black super heroes?

I'd just like to see some diversity in the heroes they're pushing in films and the comics. Thor and capt a, both blonde and blue eyed. All the evenness are white, at least in the upcoming movie. And the only black mutant had to get killed off before he did anynthing cool in first class.WTF.

Level 1
16 REPLIES

Re: What happened to black super heroes?

in reply to Darkness01

I take it you didn't see Iron Man 2 then.

Level 75

in reply to Darkness01

I'll hold my breath until I see the war machine movie, cartoon, game, or even comic.

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to Darkness01

UMMMMMMM.......Black Panther and Luke Cage movies have been in production for a long time......

Level 29

in reply to Darkness01

Black Panther has been rumored to be in development for quite some time. They have something working for Luke Cage too. Hey Heimdall was black in the movie when he's white in the comics. Does that count? Smiley Tongue

EDIT - Loki beat me by a bit.

Level 34

in reply to Darkness01

Does race really matter? I'm African American and I don't care if black characters are introduced. I care if GOOD characters are introduced. No matter skin color, if they are unique and cool then I say let them go for it.

Level 33

in reply to Darkness01

Um, did we forget about Storm?

Nick Fury is also black, though he hasn't had a big role yet. Presumably, he's more prominent in the future Avengers movies.

As to Darwin in First Class, I have to disagree. (Highlight to read spoilers.)

Wasn't it Darwin who initiated the counterattack against Shaw? He sprang into action while the others were cowering in the corner. I'd call that pretty heroic.

End Spoilers.

I understand what you are saying though.

I watched the first episode of the Black Panther cartoon on Netflix. I thought it was bad. I haven't watched the rest. I don't even think it ever aired in the U.S.

Level 25

in reply to Darkness01

What do you mean? Storm is still kicking. She's used in anything that has "X-Men" on the title and almost everything that has "Marvel" on the title.

Frankly, I'm sure her husband, Luke Cage, or any of the DC black heroes will never exceed her level of fame and popularity. She is the Universally Greatest Black Superhero Of All Time.

Level 10

in reply to Darkness01

The problem that I have with most "black" characters is that they are "BLACK". Not skin color, but exploitation-style black.

Luke Cage - Inner city, jive-talkin' brutha.

Storm - Straight outta Africa.

Black Panther - African Prince.

The Falcon - Former Pimp Turned Hero.

Blade - Prositute Mom from the ghettos of early London. Ran with the Gangs during teens.

I mean, it's pretty bad. Outside of Warmachine, there aren't many black superheroes that just happen to be black. Rather, they make it a point to prove they are black by making their history that of an inner city youth or from Africa. Come on, Marvel.

Level 1

in reply to Darkness01

I don't think black characters have done too badly to be honest, they need to use SOME source material from the comics.

As of now we've had:

X1,X2 & X3: Storm

X-FC: Darwim

XO-Wolverine: John Wraith

Thor: Heimdall

Various movies: Nick Fury

Fantastic Four: Alicia (not a hero) and Silver Surfer voiced by a black actor (Lawrence Fishburne).

Blade: Blade.

Daredevil: Kingpin.

IM2: War Machine

Smiley Happy

Level 4
Visit us for the latest news, game information, screenshots, downloads and links. GO TO BLOGS