Servers, Matchmaking is still absolute trash in this game.

Infinite Warfare General Discussions

I have read the denkirson post regarding Lag compensation in Cod, yet I still can't figure out how, exactly, it is applied. Is the lag compensation the same for every CoD title, or do the devs have some control over this? Does each title have their own netcode developed by the studio? I know I could probably look this up, but I usually end up confusing myself.

The reason I am even mentioning these things here is because I see a lot of dedicated server complaints, but even with dedicated servers, wouldnt we still be subject to lag compensation? I know that the idea is to populate a lobby in a way so as to avoid giving an advantage to players with better Internet connections, yet I don't understand why, then, it becomes such an important issue to hardwire and port forward our connections if our connection is just going to be slowed down to accommodate the wifi player. 

I'm just trying to think of a reason that the connections seem so wonky. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

I was going to post my own thread about this because I have been seeing some strange results playing hardcore dom with some guys who are spread out all the way to California. We were playing dom on Skydock and I was just running back and forth killing people and it was like they couldn't react, right before half time I see that I'm 4 off a de-atomizer but people are slowly rage quitting. Eventually in the second half there was one person left, I was able to get him twice but played it safe and hid for a minute waiting to see if someone would join but he quit and it ended in a forfeit I think two off. I look down out at my laptop as the forfeit timer started and was shocked, I had to have been lagging and impossible to hit or just seeing them first when I shouldn't have been. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the game overcompensates for out of region players sometimes. To be fair I haven't played on this server or host to see if what happens consistently but I did think it was weird that I had God Like powers at 100ms and 2000 miles away.

Brian Rooks
Brian25savannah Level 75

@Brian25savannah wrote:

I was going to post my own thread about this because I have been seeing some strange results playing hardcore dom with some guys who are spread out all the way to California. We were playing dom on Skydock and I was just running back and forth killing people and it was like they couldn't react, right before half time I see that I'm 4 off a de-atomizer but people are slowly rage quitting. Eventually in the second half there was one person left, I was able to get him twice but played it safe and hid for a minute waiting to see if someone would join but he quit and it ended in a forfeit I think two off. I look down out at my laptop as the forfeit timer started and was shocked, I had to have been lagging and impossible to hit or just seeing them first when I shouldn't have been. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the game overcompensates for out of region players sometimes. To be fair I haven't played on this server or host to see if what happens consistently but I did think it was weird that I had God Like powers at 100ms and 2000 miles away.

Thats the main problem in this game. People with 1 or 2 bars are dominating, and getting God Like powers. People with good connection have no chance against those skipping around guys.

Since the latest update I have 95% such games which I have to leave because I´m feeled 2 seconds behind them.

Horrorman Level 75

I don't have a Netduma router, so that makes it hard to see where I am connecting to, but I wish I could find out. My logs all seem to show a bunch of IP addresses that are connecting to my PS4. I don't know if that means I am hosting, or if those are just the IP of people in the match.

I know that I am often times placed in lobbies of Spanish speaking people at night. I think it is spanish, but it may be Portuguese. I am in Indiana, and during the day I am matched mainly with people who (say) they are in Detroit, or Chicago, yet the connection is horrible. I normally can find one person in the lobby who appears to be on wifi, based only on the bar representation of their connection. If one person is fluctuating, the match suck. 

The reason I asked about the lag comp and netcode is, according to what I have read, it seems like the servers physical distance should be negated if we are all set to connect at certain parameters. I know latency and ping are all still important, but does lag comp compensate players with high pings by artificilly raising my ping, and vice versa?

Maybe if you start a separate thread these comments will be addressed?

mygamertagsucks Level 75

I just figured I'd slip in here quietly amongst people who play the game regularly lol. I don't particularly like the direction some of the weapon or connection "debates" have gone as well intentioned as they may start. 

Brian Rooks
Brian25savannah Level 75

@mygamertagsucks wrote:

I don't have a Netduma router, so that makes it hard to see where I am connecting to, but I wish I could find out. My logs all seem to show a bunch of IP addresses that are connecting to my PS4. I don't know if that means I am hosting, or if those are just the IP of people in the match.

I know that I am often times placed in lobbies of Spanish speaking people at night. I think it is spanish, but it may be Portuguese. I am in Indiana, and during the day I am matched mainly with people who (say) they are in Detroit, or Chicago, yet the connection is horrible. I normally can find one person in the lobby who appears to be on wifi, based only on the bar representation of their connection. If one person is fluctuating, the match suck. 

The reason I asked about the lag comp and netcode is, according to what I have read, it seems like the servers physical distance should be negated if we are all set to connect at certain parameters. I know latency and ping are all still important, but does lag comp compensate players with high pings by artificilly raising my ping, and vice versa?

http://denkirson.proboards.com/thread/5972/networking-lag-compensation-hit-detection

Here you go. If you don't feel like reading it, no, lag comp does not inflate, or deflate anyone's ping. 

Also, just because someones ping fluctuates doesn't mean they are on wifi. Not even close. The biggest "problem" with wifi  generally packet loss.

Actually, and I'm not directing this at you, or anyone in particular,  and I'm not saying the system is prefect, and I'm not defending this game or any other. More often than not people blame connections when in fact they simply miss one shot, or one of a million other things. If you want, record a couple of your games, I'll go through the footage frame by frame and break it down.  I've done this a few times before and it's been pretty enlightening.

If it helps any,  I am from Michigan and I connect to the Chicago dedicated servers 99.99% of the time. 

Also if it helps I sometimes get people speaking Spanish as well, but generally they are from the same area and just happen to speak spanish, as a lot of Americans do.

gotsomestars Level 75

@gotsomestars wrote:

@mygamertagsucks wrote:

http://denkirson.proboards.com/thread/5972/networking-lag-compensation-hit-detection

Here you go. If you don't feel like reading it, no, lag comp does not inflate, or deflate anyone's ping. 

Also, just because someones ping fluctuates doesn't mean they are on wifi. Not even close. The biggest "problem" with wifi  generally packet loss.

Actually, and I'm not directing this at you, or anyone in particular,  and I'm not saying the system is prefect, and I'm not defending this game or any other. More often than not people blame connections when in fact they simply miss one shot, or one of a million other things. If you want, record a couple of your games, I'll go through the footage frame by frame and break it down.  I've done this a few times before and it's been pretty enlightening.

If it helps any,  I am from Michigan and I connect to the Chicago dedicated servers 99.99% of the time. 

Also if it helps I sometimes get people speaking Spanish as well, but generally they are from the same area and just happen to speak spanish, as a lot of Americans do.

I would just accept that this is the way online gaming is but COD, by far, leaps and bounds is the worst peforming game of all of the big names in regards to multiplayer. Please don't go into the, missing shots etc etc, that doesn't even begin to justify how horrible the games  plays online, BO3, AW were bad as well. 

When I connect to the a supposed dedi basically in my backyard and it is visually inferior to a game like Overwatch that is connecting to a dedi half way across the country, it's not bad aim or the users infefior equipment, it is 150% COD whether that be them choosing cheap ass servers, whether that be their engine and coding is archaic and garbage, whether that be lag comp or lack of, COD is absolutely the worst that I have experienced and this is coming from somoeone that has XB1, PS3, and PS4 Pro, plays and have played multiple BF's, multiple Titan Falls, Overwatch and of course years of COD just to name some of the top games.

COD is by far the absolute worst of them in regards to online perofrmance. The bitch of it is, I like the game the best of them all but it has gotten to the point it is so bad, this is definitely my last COD 100% because of the garbage performance online it has vs the other top shooters out there. The BS we have to put up with is just not worth it anymore. This year it is so bad it has overshadowed the supply drop garbage, that is another reason why I wont' buy again but it is a only a secondary reason now.

MurkBeserk Level 75

I don't take anything you said as being negative towards me, gotsomestars. I actually like the feedback, and appreciate the information. I have read the entirety of the original post that you linked, but admittedly, have not read through all the cmoments which probably explains more as more people see it, and have questions. Unfortunately, I also seem to "mis-comprehend" what I am reading, for whatever reason. 

When I mentioned the in-game bar graph, I obviously based what I was saying on ill-informed belief, based on observation. I honestly have no idea why I said that the fluctuation of the graph indicated a WiFi connection because I have never read that anywhere. Hopefully, I just got caught up after a skippy game, and started complaining. I'm truly not a moron, but I obviously did post my thoughts without having evidence to back up what I post. I think what I meant to say was, "games where there are teammates or enemies who have fluctuating bar graphs have always been the most problematic matches I have been in with regards to skipping players."

mygamertagsucks Level 75

No worries mate.

And like I said I'm definitely not defending this game or cod. I know it has issues. And I know some suffer more than others.

There are a few regular posters that say they have mostly good games (me included, prolly 95% of my games run as I expect any online game to run), and there are some who get lots of bad games. 

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. 

In the end no matter who's "fault" it is, I like cod, so I want it to play well. For everyone. Cause a bigger population = better chances for good connections  (or better connections anyways).

gotsomestars Level 75

Lag/latency and lag compensation are two different issues in game.

My layman's understanding of "lag compensation" is that it's coded and can be tweaked. Its purpose is to ensure that if you put a bullet on target you get a hit. It essentially matches a players hit detection box with their physical character in game. Lag compensation is needed unless you prefer to guess where the players hit box is.  

A laggy player (say someone rubber-banding) just means that the players character and hit box aren't where you think they are at the moment you see them. An issue with lag compensation means that the hit detection box around the players is no longer around the player but possibly a few steps infront or behind.

Mohumpus

Studios