Why I will not be buying CoD:IW [X-tra long post]...

SOLVED

Infinite Warfare General Discussions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

Hello!

I have posted this before for other CoD titles but for those of you that missed it the first time: I have a legitimate reason for my decision. These views are my own and are completely subjective to my experiences with the COD series and are not intended to start a flame war or spam the forum.

I am an adult gamer who has been feeding quarters into Activison arcade games since the time they could still take quarters. After my experience with a few MoH games and their multiplayer being shut down for PS2 (simply to push players to buy the very next EA release), I tried out the the COD series starting with BR1 after the popularity of the Band of Brothers on HBO and their actors and likeness being used for the game. I was amazed at the detail, quality, story, game-play, and overall immersive experience that Call of Duty 2: Big Red One had to offer. It was honestly, one of the greatest game experiences I had ever had, right up there with the first time I played FFVII, or the first time I played the new Galaga on my new Atari 7800 (Kids, that's a really old but insanely popular console during its time) Then I immediately purchased COD3 upon release, and even went back and purchased COD:Finest Hour. I loved them all and also seeing the improvements and the progression of this amazing and enthralling franchise (I hadn't started PC Gaming yet so I never played the first original, but I'm sure it was good too). The unlockable bonus videos interviewing actual WWII and A-Bomb veterans, I mean, c'mon, right?! Amazing!

Skip ahead to Oct 2007, working as a PC technician, I felt that online gaming was much too risky and the only way to keep your system safe was to keep it off networks. That was until I was gifted with a secondhand PS2 Ethernet adapter and wired router, which made me curious to try multiplayer and seeing that my PS2 COD3 supported multiplayer and voice chat, I said, "Meh, might be interesting." Then after buying a used PS2 wired headset and creating a connection using the network utility in my Ratchet and Clank 2 disc, I was in my first online multiplayer match ever! My K/D was 0/40, didn't get one kill, and mind you I played all my COD games on the hardest settings. But like all of you, I was excited to play and chat with people I had never met and was curious to test my skills against those who were so different from myself yet we all shared this common bond through owning this console and game. Over time, I actually made friends and would play matches with the same people, having to keep a rough track of who would be on and when, as this was before you could know when your friends were on. And, like many of you, it became a staple of my week and social routine, and for those of you who understand such things, an integral part of my way to self-identify. I had become...an online gamer. Huzzah.

With the popularity of the next generation PS3 console and all the promise it held for a revolutionized gaming experience, the possibilities seemed near endless for its multiplayer community and potential, however those possibilities were also a Damocles Sword that hung over us all with few knowing and even fewer anticipating the eventual exploitation of those who were unsuspecting and wholly unprepared. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

CoD:MW was arguably one of the best games ever created because it was something so innovative and so unexpected from a publisher that had primarily focused this franchise on effectively WWII simulators. It was all we could talk about when playing PS2 COD3. Everyone waited with baited breath, and when it was finally released, it was a force unto itself, setting a new standard as to what we thought multiplayer was and what online multiplayer should be. And if that wasn't enough, when so many said, "Well, now they've made a modern version, they'll never do WWII again." and some saying that it "couldn't be done" or simply "wouldn't be a hit", Activision and Treyarch effectively said with the release of COD:WaW, "BOOM. How you like me now??" And the gamerverse was set all atwitter with buzz and excitement. This was a sign of things to come. This was now a new staple of the multiplayer gamers library. And the demand for newer and better and more detailed content has continued to push the genre and platform ever since.

Now back to what is essentially my thesis statement: Why I will not be purchasing this latest COD or any future release ever again. Well, simply put, because I feel my time, effort, resources, funds, and general patronage are no longer valued or respected by the publisher and industry as a whole. "What do you mean, how can you say that?", you may ask. Consider this: you buy the game, maybe even the newer console, you spend your precious free time, you wait for all the updates to download and install, you buy the DLCs right when they come out so you're not left behind, you grind away for XP, you rank up, you join a clan, maybe you even bought a fancy headset, or a custom controller, you spend even more time, completing objectives for trophies, unlocks, badges, attachments, what have you....all so that one day while you're minding your own business in a TDM, some little script kiddie who watched way too many YouTube videos, can de-rank you and effectively keep you from playing with that ID ever again, for no other reason than the same reason why children use refracted light to incinerate small insects on a sunny sidewalk. Which happened to me in a very recent COD match, having not had a working PS3 for several years and only recently being able to play many of these games for the first time. Meanwhile, pleas for moderation and supervision of the servers echo through the vast emptiness of the internet only to echo back the abandonment and disposable nature you now realize you and all your hard work, time, and money, now represent. Is there any support for this lawlessness? Kind of, sure there are these forums, and many of you devote your time to helping the un-initiated, for those of you who do, you are heroes and many blessings to you. But there is a huge unmistakable gap between feeling safe to play online and actual security being offered or provided.

Some of you may simply say, "He's just some newbie whiner and that's the cost of gaming and get over it you *insert derogatory expletive here*!" And, you sir or madam, are entitled to your opinion. But then this post is not for you. For those of you, who like me, have  been burned repeatedly through the lack of swift and decisive action and protection of the players, you know exactly how I feel and may even understand why I am never purchasing another COD product again. This was not a hasty decision, I am not a 12yr old who gets mad at her friends and deactivates her facebook or twitter account only to return days, sometimes only hours later, the internet equivalent of a child saying they're running away from home. No, I am an educated adult, having to continuously deal with players who ruin the experience for everyone simply to make themselves feel better about their sad little lives and circumstances by imposing their negativity on those who do not deserve it. I am someone whose time has an equivocal monetary value and when that time and effort is no longer valued, it's as if money is being taken directly out of my wallet and burned right in front of my eyes, with the ashes used to draw a phallic symbol on my forehead. I cannot make sense of paying for the privilege to be abused (no judgement for those of you that do like it though). Some of you reading this feel the same as I do but will still continue to buy the newest releases knowing the abuse is coming. I salute you, you brave souls.

Seeing how things have progressed since COD:MW up to and including now, I don't see this ever changing, I just feel it will continually get worse and no major changes will occur to prevent malicious players from impacting legitimate gamers. The only solution is to forfeit all your work and progress, make new PSNs or Gamertags and keep buying the latest game, console, and DLCs right when they come out, and try to rank up before the plague of modders arrives. Which is time consuming and very costly to the end user. Maybe one day the developers and publishers will have it figured out, until then, I'm sticking to Uncharted and occasionally Battlefield when it's gifted to me.

Thank you for reading and enjoy your time safely playing CoD:IW, while it lasts.

-John Smith

JohnSmith_
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Any reason you have for purchasing or not purchasing is respected in my eyes. What we do with our money is no one elses business but since this is a forum to offer different perspectives, these are my thoughts after reading.

I also used to throw quarter after quarter into the arcades. Ok... those were my Mom and Dad's quarters but it wasn't really an investment. It was money in exchange for a few minutes of bliss and if I was extremely lucky... my initials on the leaderboard for the day.

That was very different than today. My gamertag is it's own entity that I grow everyday with achievements and multiplayer rank. Having that taken away from me would be devastating especially if it came from an unconscionable little twerp. Luckily that has never happened yet over the past 8 years on Xbox Live.

Isn't it interesting how that has changed though? I'm still paying for that time to play those games which you'ld think would be enough... but that record and history that I've built upon has a lot of value to me and hope ATVI and MS do all they can to keep that mine and safe from hackers. So I understand where you're coming from.

As far as the actual games go.... I think all devs, all games and all franchises are striving to create a game and an experience/reaction from the players that CoD4 created.... every year. I really liked your statement about the CoD3 perspective before CoD4 and then the criticism towards going back to WW2. It was nice when the devs/ATVI could please and exceed the expectations of the fans. Unfortunately that was a different time and the elements in place are very different today.

I truly believe the games today are much better than the older ones.... but it doesn't seem that way because we and the world around us has changed....  social media, the internet, multiplayer gaming, expectations, etc....  When I first put CoD4 in the tray, I had only played a couple hours of multiplayer gaming... EVER (in Socom PS2). Later this year when I put Infinite Warfare in the tray... I will have logged close to or even exceeded a full years worth of hours into online gaming. In many ways I think I've changed more than the games themselves. 

Although there is no denying... "The unlockable bonus videos interviewing actual WWII and A-Bomb veterans, I mean, c'mon, right?! Amazing!" ...nothing short of amazing! Or those quotes in CoD4 campaign when you die. Heart

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75
8 REPLIES 8

@JohnSmith_ wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln3mi0vfJU

who like me, have  been burned repeatedly through the lack of swift and decisive action and protection of the players,

statistically the majority of gamers are older, I am one and I understand many of the things you say. But the truth is the past will never be repeated, not even with this new remastered version. It will never happen again. 

so we either accept the new games as they should be "new" or stop playing. 

personally I am on the ropes with IW and this entire "space" thing. But, I will judge it myself once I can actually play it. what I do know will happen, they will sell MW remastered later by itself to reap more $$$. 

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Izjar11 Level 75

Wow...I dont think ive ever read a post as long as this in my life..but it shows your feelings. The problem is..the more serious you are..the more fustrated you get..whether getting beaten or hacked.

Do what I do..play it every second..but just for laughs with mates

RUSTY GUN
This is the kinda reason which pisses me off, you know. People saying ,,Oh, but it's fun when you play it with friends...''. I get it, but EVERY CoD is fun when you play it with friends, so why buy a new game, when you can play the older games with friends and have more fun?
"Don't adapt your dreams to the reality. Adapt the reality to your dreams".
SkyNoudyo

Why not have fun with a new game? But suddenly im on your side. I tried the Modern Warfare beta last night and I was gutted so I feel your dissapointment. I was hoping for something to jump out and slap me saying "My god this is amazing!" ....nah, just another badly animated headless chickenfest! 

But even worse is the awful screentearing top screen? It happened on BO4 aswell? Dont know what theyre up to but its crap on xbox one x??

RUSTY GUN

Brilliant post and well observed parody..

paulywarp7

Any reason you have for purchasing or not purchasing is respected in my eyes. What we do with our money is no one elses business but since this is a forum to offer different perspectives, these are my thoughts after reading.

I also used to throw quarter after quarter into the arcades. Ok... those were my Mom and Dad's quarters but it wasn't really an investment. It was money in exchange for a few minutes of bliss and if I was extremely lucky... my initials on the leaderboard for the day.

That was very different than today. My gamertag is it's own entity that I grow everyday with achievements and multiplayer rank. Having that taken away from me would be devastating especially if it came from an unconscionable little twerp. Luckily that has never happened yet over the past 8 years on Xbox Live.

Isn't it interesting how that has changed though? I'm still paying for that time to play those games which you'ld think would be enough... but that record and history that I've built upon has a lot of value to me and hope ATVI and MS do all they can to keep that mine and safe from hackers. So I understand where you're coming from.

As far as the actual games go.... I think all devs, all games and all franchises are striving to create a game and an experience/reaction from the players that CoD4 created.... every year. I really liked your statement about the CoD3 perspective before CoD4 and then the criticism towards going back to WW2. It was nice when the devs/ATVI could please and exceed the expectations of the fans. Unfortunately that was a different time and the elements in place are very different today.

I truly believe the games today are much better than the older ones.... but it doesn't seem that way because we and the world around us has changed....  social media, the internet, multiplayer gaming, expectations, etc....  When I first put CoD4 in the tray, I had only played a couple hours of multiplayer gaming... EVER (in Socom PS2). Later this year when I put Infinite Warfare in the tray... I will have logged close to or even exceeded a full years worth of hours into online gaming. In many ways I think I've changed more than the games themselves. 

Although there is no denying... "The unlockable bonus videos interviewing actual WWII and A-Bomb veterans, I mean, c'mon, right?! Amazing!" ...nothing short of amazing! Or those quotes in CoD4 campaign when you die. Heart

iHattoriHanzo0 Level 75

I've been playing since MW2 or Black Ops I think, and have played and prestiged multiple times on both, and have never been hacked/exploited. Except once on Cod4 where someone ranked me up from rank 30 no prestige to rank 55. But that was for the better. I think hacker encounters are rarer than many believe excluding cod4 and Waw.

Stevejan7

Could not have said it better myself. Another that the developers have done is not listen to the community, ever since Black Ops 2 people seen where the COD franchise was going and that was into the future and then they buried themselves when the realased Ghost and Advanced Warfare. Activision and Treyarch and now Infinity Ward (again) need to listen to the commuity for once. No one wants to go to tthe future till we actually get there. This year I believe Battlefield One will take the trophy home simply becasue they know what the community wants and that is a game that is set either in WW1 or WW2 era. And another thing that the community wants is from WaW and MW2 to be backwards compatiable without terrible servers that when you jump in any game you dont look around and there a guy jumping 30 feet in the air with his hand shooting bullets. Please for once just listen to the community and we can all be happy and not dog on you guys anymore. 

TheYoungEpic

Studios