CoD IW gaming with two or more same game consoles running at the same time with OPEN NAT

Infinite Warfare Xbox One

Sorry to post this again if this has been talked about already. Please add links to posts that are referring to this.

I've been testing and working with two or more game consoles and in the process we all know that OPEN NAT is preferred for online gaming both on the consoles dash board, i.e. networking and in the game. So we have two NAT statues that we are looking at. Console and in game. 

Over the past years more and more house holds have more than one game console and in trying to get all of these consoles working well with "OPEN NAT" across the board, I have come to find out that there are a few levels of configurations that will impact achieving the golden rule of OPEN NAT both on the consoles dashboard and in game for games that are played online and give there own NAT status. 

1. ISP modem combos with external routers 

2. Router configuration.

3. Router NAT type implemented by router Mfr. 

3. IPTables and uPnP handling on the router and on game consoles. 

4. Game Mfr handling of NAT.

5. This issue isn't seen with just a single game console with a ISP stand alone modem with a external router. 

I've been testing many different Mfr routers and come to the conclusion that the above 1-4 items play a role in how two or more game consoles attain OPEN NAT while playing the same game online. 

I'd like to know if Infinityward and CoD network engineers are testing and developing there games for two or more consoles while playing the same game at the same time or just testing based on single game console. 

Ive found that the use of Mfr routers with Port Address Restricted or Symmetric NAT kind and uPnP with in the FW doesn't not allow for OPEN NAT on any connected console in game after the 1st console is connected and brought online. Many different configurations including use of Port Forwarding, DMZ and Virtual Server features on routers doesn't help with attaining OPEN NAT on 2nd and subsquent connected consoles in the game, and MODERATE NAT is only seen if using routers with Port Address Restricted or Symmetric NAT kind. I've only found that older Mfr routers with FULL CONE NAT kind and uPnP with QoS enabled, allows for two or more same game consoles to achiive OPEN NAT across the board. Tested CoD IW and Black Ops 3 on both consoles at the same time. 

Also with the newly meantiong feature thats coming to xbox one consoles, MS is pushing a new PORT address change feature with in the Advanced settings of the UI. Consoles appart of the MS Preview program were early to see this feature as my roommates console recently received this preview program update and the PORT change feature is seen. However in my testing, this doesn't help at all in gaining OPEN NAT on the 2nd console if same game is played on a Port Address Restricted or Symmetric NAT kind router. Only MODERATE NAT is seen.

Again, FULL CONE NAT router will handle this and allow for OPEN NAT on all same game consoles being played at the same time on the same router. 

More and more house holds are getting more than just one console and in some cases, are playing the same game at the same time and if OPEN NAT is the golden rule to achive for best gaming performances and experiences, then I presume this could be addresses at the game Mfr level as well as with the Router Mfr. 

Just curious if anyone else has been looking at this. 

There any CoD developer or network engineer who can comment on this? 

I have additional information regarding this as well... 

furrynutz
6 REPLIES 6

There any CoD developer or network engineer who can comment on this? 

great question.  with WWII on the horizon I hope the game is fixed so all 4 of us can play at one time in house. 

Dahnryman

Yes, been something that has been a problem for house holds with two or more game consoles playing the same time. 

What Mfr and model modem and router do you use? 

Interested in running a NAT test with your router to see what NAT kind it's using? NAT kind plays a roll in this as well. However comes down to the Game Mfrs as well need to address this for multiple same game configurations though...

furrynutz

using a "higher end" arris cable modem, nat is set to RoutedWithNAT. I have turned off instant on and that has helped with one of the 2 consoles.  I have not had much time to test it the last couple weeks but do now have the ability to lan game again.  What changes did you have in mind?

Dahnryman

Whats the model of the arris modem? Built in router or no? If no, what external router are you using? Mfr and model#?

furrynutz

The problem is with the way Activision use UPnP

The demonware port mapping they use is not compatible with with most routers.

There is also the fact that activision do not seem to understand the fact that people own multiple consoles.

Why one earth do activision insist on using port 3074 for playstation games?. That is the same port used for xbox live. If you own both an xbox and a playstation and your router can't handle the way the game uses UPnP you get mapping conflicts which causes NAT problems

It's been like this since Black ops 3. The UPnP is still broken in that game especially on ps4. I've tried three routers with that and that game just can't get an open NAT without me having to just through hoops.

The Xbox one version works better. I can actually get an open NAT on that but judging by the way it works I don't think it will allow 2 consoles to have open NAT at the same time.

I'm currently not having NAT problems with World War 2. The UPnP seems to be working fine on that so far but I have an Xbox One X on the way and will now have 2 xbox ones. i'm curious whether I will be able to get an open NAT on both of them at the same time. My hope is that as WW2 is the same developer as Advanced Warfare then they might be better at at UPnP. I never had NAT problems in that game.

Malacath#9913264

Yes, we found that there seems to be many levels to this OPEN NAT issue with multiple game consoles. 

1. MS console level. Seems to have been resolved with most resent new OS update which included the ability to change ports on the console.

2. Router level. We found that there is some router IP Table, Nat Filtering and uPnp issues here as well. Also depends on what kind of NAT the router uses that seems to effect how some Games are detecting NAT. 

3. Game mfrs are also responsible on how there game is operating and only seem to think that a single game per house hold is what they seem to only want to support which doesn't seem right since you'd think more games being bought the better. 

So heres what works for two or more game consoles. You need to find a router or router that its FW allows for FULL CONE NAT. Most newer generation routers are now using Port Address Restricted NAT or Symmetric NAT full time now. Older routers had FULL CONE NAT or had both Full Cone NAT and Port Address Restricted NAT and you had the ability to change between them. Most router Mfrs have been moving away from FULL CONE NAT since Port Address Restricted and Symmetric NAT is more secure. Some 3rd party FW developers have implemeted some IP address and uPnP changed with in there FW to help with this issue of two or more game consoles being online and getting OPEN NAT across the board. 

Please review this:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21&sid=21ce1259ff6629833362c16aedc3365c

Here is information and list of routers that seem to work well for two or more consoles. There are a few

Question, please post....

Whats your mfr ISP Modem and model #? 

furrynutz

Studios