Any ideas on how to avoid some of the lag.

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

I think I'm going tot try this out, I'll just add people that live not so far away and join their lobbies and stuff. Thanks!

GonzaloJS

my NAT type is strict,i never get lag!

squiggledyboing

Well according to the Lag Compensation gurus in the forums, if you make your connection as bad as possible, the better it becomes.

sml7285

The OP isn't talking about lag compensation, he is experiencing lag.  There is a sweet spot that can be attained in the middle (I believe it is an upload speed around 700 as others have posted) where you experience little lag or lag compensation.  So, it is not that having a terrible connection is in your favor either.  Terrible connections get lag, awesome connections get lag compensation, average connections get the best experience overall.  Of course ping comes into play but there really isn't much you can do about that.

traderearl

I think my connection is already as bad as possible haha.

GonzaloJS

I can't really get this game to work in a way that seems fair. I'm always either lagging and/or getting destroyed by lag compensation. Black Ops seemed to run pretty good for me about 85% of the time, whereas this game is down to about 20% of the time. It's really frustrating and it has caused me to take a long term break. Currently, my ping is 11ms, my down is 33.34mbps and my up is 5.05mbps. So yea in theory I should have a great connection, unfortunately I feel I'm at a complete disadvantage 80% of the matches I play.

partee

You would benefit from changing your QOS priority to your PS3 and limiting your upload bandwidth on the PS3 if your router supports it.  Try typing "QOS settings" in google with the model of your router in the search to find articles on how to adjust your settings specific to your router.

traderearl

Yea I already tried that but my router doesn't allow me to change specific settings like that. I can only assign low,normal, high, highest, to a specific ip address. I tried low-highest and it didn't seem to change at all. I also forced moderate and I was hosting less but still felt the same disadvantages regardless.

partee
Highlighted

With your QOS set to low priority for your PS3 you can upload files to try and congest your bandwidth so that the QOS will kick in.  QOS will only do anything when there is a load on your bandwidth and it needs to be your upload stream (ie you have to upload something not download).  The best way is to be able to limit your upload stream by setting a maximum limit for the PS3.  I don't have that option or QOS settings either without circumventing the supplied router altogether and I already purchased the worst router ever (although it was touted as the ultimate gaming router).  At some point you realize that it is only worth doing so much because they constantly change the parameters anyways with the new patches.

traderearl

Your connection is well below average, funny how they still make you host. You should play tdm and add as many local people as possible. I hate playing on a 3 bar 100 plus pings away with a 30 down and 3 up. There should be a local lock in these big game modes.

Snipingdbag

Studios