Any ideas on how to avoid some of the lag.

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

I'm often the guy with the worst connection on the lobby, I rarely win any gunfights, even when I expect some people to come, and sometimes I don't even see them when I get killed, the killcam shows something completely different. My NAT type is on Open. What should I change and what should I improve. I live in Peru. Any ideas?

GonzaloJS
30 REPLIES 30

Well there is not much you can do... I heard once though that if you turn off theatre mode it helps a bit, you could try.

X-Claws

Its already turned off, what I meant was perhaps something with my ISP or perhaps Open isn't the best for me. Pay for better Internet, idk.

GonzaloJS

GonzaloJS wrote:

I'm often the guy with the worst connection on the lobby, I rarely win any gunfights, even when I expect some people to come, and sometimes I don't even see them when I get killed, the killcam shows something completely different. My NAT type is on Open. What should I change and what should I improve. I live in Peru. Any ideas?

What current connection do you have at the moment? (Download, Upload & Ping)

Which countries do you normally matchmake with?

vims2011

Hey, thanks for taking the interest. Not sure how to check those but right here it says, according to speedtest.net, my PING is 139ms, 1.69 MBPS for download and 0.21 MBPS for upload. As for the countries, I'm not sure on which do I play, but I take it possibly England or the US. I sometimes play on countries near to where I live (Chile, Ecuador or Argentina) but the connectivity issues are still there. When I pay attention to what some people speak through their mic, its often English with no strange accents I don't recognize. I'm often on a 2-3 bar in almost any lobby, and when some other peruvian user is being host, I get four bars (This has happened like 4-5 times in my lifetime) but I'm still kinda laggy.

GonzaloJS

Unfortunately by judging by your connection, both your download & upload is slow, ping is too high and coming from a "remote COD area" (with regional matchmaking less strict), you'll find yourself in 2-3 bar games (overseas matches).

You could do something about your connection but unfortunately matchmaking is dealt by Sony so you have to deal with getting into foreign lobbies as remote areas have a fewer population of COD players. (which means more lag).

When it comes to connection, you could improve it by changing ISP and with a better package but you can't do anything with matchmaking.

vims2011

I could purchase a better package, but I want to know first if that would help. I must say, though, a few months ago I would always be on three bars; infact I've noticed I have been getting my best gameplays ever on 6-8th prestige rather than 9, which I'm on now (I'm planning on staying on 9 too). I think I'm getting better at the game, but the lag isn't helping me at all. My friends have all become aware of this lag and most of them have stopped playing (or don't play nearly as much as before).

As for the NAT type, should I change it back to Moderate or something else (if so, how would I do that? )? - Open as far as I know means I could be the host, which wouldn't suit me that well considering the slow/bad connection and would end up in me leaving the lobby.

Anyway, thanks for your reply! You've been really helpful.

GonzaloJS

MW3 can be a handful with connectivity & matchmaking.

Not to sound like an ass but your connection should not allow you to host (no offense).

To be host, requires a decent upload speed & 0.21mbps is very bad.

Changing your NAT Type either but it can have a negative impact on matchmaking & for those who don't want to host, changing it to Moderate can take you out on host selection.

vims2011

None taken, fully aware I can't host.

Do you mind explaining how will it have such a negative impact if I change it to Moderate?

Will finding decent games (for me) be harder and I'll have to stick to some of them that will make me lag even more?

GonzaloJS

I'm not an expert on this but I believe it does slow down matchmaking and in your case, you could be waiting for lobbies for a while.

Will finding decent games (for me) be harder and I'll have to stick to some of them that will make me lag even more?

As I said, coming from remote areas tend to find (decent) matches where connectivity is spot on is more difficult to find compared to say a high COD populated area like the North America/UK etc.

You either have to handle the lag or as ghamorra said, find some more players within your area to play with. You could try a new ISP package but it won't have an effect on matchmaking.

vims2011

Studios