Are modded controllers bannable?

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

i see about 90 modded controllers aday type95 mk14 m16 striker barret dragv etc it is rediclous

whhhoooooo

Not...all but should be..

gallp13

Shame the developers won't just come out and give a definite answer on the topic. Such as, for example, "Any modified controller or device that allows for rapid fire of non-auto weaponry is a bannable offense".

I still report all those who i find using said device. IMO, no matter if its OK'd by microsoft, any controller that makes a semi auto weapon fully automatic is an unfair advantage over those who do not. Shame people can just honestly play the game and resort to any means necessary to acheive an unfair advantage to make up for a lack of skill.

redline70689

Here is another chat with Micrsosoft. You will notice that we discussed what IS on the Xbox Accesories / Controllers page as well as what is NOT.

-----------------------

You are now chatting with 'Cynthia'.

MYNAME: This is for a discussion group based in a game forum. We are trying to get people to stop using unauthorized controllers. on page http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/ThirdPartyAccessories you will see the HORI EX2 TURBO controller. Will using this particular controller in online play get me banned ?

Cynthia: Hello, thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. My name is Cynthia. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Cynthia: I understand that you want to find out if using 3rd party controllers like HORI EX@ Turbo could get your gamertag suspended?

Cynthia: EX2

MYNAME: Yes. But I am talking particularly about that one because it is authorized / licenced

Cynthia: The product is authorized by Microsoft?

MYNAME: Did you see that page ? No offense meant.

Cynthia: Yes, thank you for the information. Do you have the Hori controller?

MYNAME: No. As I said it for a discussion group.

MYNAME: What we need to know is if we have a rapid fire (Not MODDED) controller that is either authorized or licenced by MS will we get banned from Xbox Live for using them

Cynthia: I'm curious as to the extent of the Turbo feature. If the produce is listed among accessories at our website, then the product should be fine to use with your Xbox 360.

MYNAME: But we are talking in ONLINE play.

Cynthia: Yes. I can't imagine that the turbo feature would have any extreme effects, since the Hori product is listed at our website.

MYNAME: Now if someone were to buy a Makatz controller for example then THAT one most likely will NOT be allowed in online play if it is a rapid fire controller .

MYNAME: MadKatz

Cynthia: If it's not listed at our website, then it's features may be too extreme for online gameplay.

MYNAME: Now any Modified controller such as one that is opened and / or modified on the triggers would also be a bannable controller if used in online play. Correct ?

Cynthia: To be more specific, MYNAME, the opened/modified controller may not be banned, but the gamertag may be suspended.

MYNAME: Thats what I meant . Sorry

MYNAME: Thanks for your help

----------------------------------------------------

You will notice that the HORI on that page IS allowed by Microsoft. (maybe not Activision)

Specific questions were asked. The point came down to It looks like there is only ONE rapid fire controller allowed by Microsoft in online play.

As for other particular ones, such as a Madkatz Turbo. Well the key point is if they are not suthorized the of course they are not allowed.

another example I have meantioned before is the ones made by Datel. Sure they sell them in stores but if you read the fine print on the last page they even state that they are not authorized controllers.

starbuckfrack Level 72

If it gives any more credibility to my above statments, I'm an Xbox Ambassador.

Pretty much Starbuckfrack is 99% on the money.

I think the only possible way to be any more clear is to sit down with a lawyer and go over, in painstaking detail, Microsoft's, Activision's, and the 3rd party's controller's TOS and legal policies.

rsjc741

Sent you a PM rsjc741

starbuckfrack Level 72

Simply put use one and risk being reset or banned at the developers choice. So if you think someone is using one report them and let IW and bancandy sort it out. For yes they have a way to check if it is being used. Since none of the turbo fire, rapid fire, modded contollers duplicate human error and random firing patterns. No human can fire the weapon at the same pace all the time, and most can not even do so for more than three shots.

Now should contoller developers get smart and add in a random time generator that changes up the fire rate at random intervals it would be harder to detect; but so far none have that ability yet.

trialstardragon Level 70

trialstardragon wrote:

For yes they have a way to check if it is being used. Since none of the turbo fire, rapid fire, modded contollers duplicate human error and random firing patterns. No human can fire the weapon at the same pace all the time, and most can not even do so for more than three shots.

I really doubt that have that functionality coded into the game, else people would be automatically banned.

TehSpeagles

Its not directly coded in ot the game to run an auto ban system as far as I know, but yes they can check the response times of the when the client sends fire signals. It is stored in the replay data. If that time is constant and never changing as it would be with a modded or standard turbo fire controller it would be easy to than assume it was such and ban the player at that point in time.

They could ever create an auto ban system that could do it after a so many games was played and data gone over by the ban bot and compared to see if any patterns were easily noticeable.

the only problem would be in those that have variable rate rapid fire controllers that can change the fire rate to different speeds.

trialstardragon Level 70

TehSpeagles wrote:

trialstardragon wrote:

For yes they have a way to check if it is being used. Since none of the turbo fire, rapid fire, modded contollers duplicate human error and random firing patterns. No human can fire the weapon at the same pace all the time, and most can not even do so for more than three shots.

I really doubt that have that functionality coded into the game, else people would be automatically banned.

The games run at 60 cycles per second. There is a way they can tell. And it doesnt have to be coded in the game  (not to be confused at the frame rate the game displays on the screen.)

but there is code in the game that can tell at what speed they fired. Its called the data that is used to put together the theater mode videos.

Games I have made can tell you easily at what "frame" the trigger was pulled as opposed to what frame the enemy fired at. For example if the bullet speed was exactly the same you could instantly detect who got hit first at the frame they fired.

I know thats not as great an example as RSJC741 above this but hope it gives you a general idea.

and regardless it was hard coded in the game. Human PETs will STILL have to join in a game with a modded controller complaint to catch them in the act directly.

It took MS 3 months to join a lobby with a lag switching modded controller complaint. Or at least that was the amount of time it took after the FIRST report. I know it was one week after the second report was made before he was banned off of Live forever.

starbuckfrack Level 72

Studios