Are modded controllers bannable?

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Modded controllers run off a specific frequency.

Most homemade RF controllers use the R8(or R3?) LED as a sodder point for the trigger.

I assume since the controller is ran off of DC power, the max firing cap is theoretically as fast as the controller can send out and recieve data.

What i'm getting at is that the trigger responce is always standard. The only reason their are jumps in between shots sometimes is because of the game being unable to process that many responces or maybe a destructive frequency issue, or a short in the wire, or the resistance in the wire is increased by the constant use.

rsjc741
Highlighted

I know this, and this is why they are easy to be detected. Where as if a new generation of contollers that had programmable settings to further emulate human error was made it would make them even harder to detect. Eventually a controller designer will make one.

Would not be hard to make a pc interface to adjust the settings and to make them even more random but still maintaining the advantage that they offer and making them harder to discover. Just would not be your standard modded controller and would not be as cheap as many rapid fire controllers are.

trialstardragon Level 70

To my knowledge, yes rapid fire controllers can be grounds for suspending/banning a player. Should you bother sending clips to BanCandy? Only if you wish to take the time to do so. Do modded controllers provide an unfair advantage over everybody else? Not really. Simply because anyone who owns an xbox can pretty much afford to purchase a modded controler to even the playing field. If you don't believe me, then check out the Razer Onza tournament edition professional gaming controller for Xbox 360. It's only 50 bucks. There's a cheaper version that doesn't have the adjustable resistance analog sticks and it's only 40 bucks. Personally I think that anyone who uses these things and deliberately violates the terms of use or code of conduct should be banned. But, just like everything else in life, everyone looks for a quicker, easier way to do things that will give them an edge over the competition.

tjmoore365

If you check out Madcatz Xbox 360, they list most of their controllers as Officially Licensed for Xbox.

ghorman

ghorman wrote:

If you check out Madcatz Xbox 360, they list most of their controllers as Officially Licensed for Xbox.

So now you are saying what ? That they ARE allowed in online play by Microsoft ?

Because on this page you said that in chat they are bannable by Microsoft.

starbuckfrack Level 72

starbuckfrack wrote:

ghorman wrote:

So now you are saying what ? That they ARE allowed in online play by Microsoft ?

I guess there is some confusion.  Modded and Licensed controllers with rapid fire triggers should NOT be allowed in online play.  IMO the player using them online should get a ban.  I am NOT for anything that gives an advantage over another player.  I just want fair matches.

ghorman

Starbuck, Ghorman - Activision have the final say and generally in COD turbo, modded fire buttons will get you banned if you're caught using them.

So MS's policy is really irrelevent.

However, these players are rarely banned, so I assume rarely caught even though they must get a lot of complaints filed against them.

So use at your own risk, but the bottom line is this: if you're that sad you need a crutch to allow you you to boast about your K/D to your friends at school, then you need to get a life.

sweatyclam

I don't own one nor plan too.  I feel its a cheap way to earn kills.

ghorman

Wasn't suggesting that you or Starbuck would, sorry badly written post, that was directed at anyone who does.

sweatyclam

ghorman wrote:

starbuckfrack wrote:

ghorman wrote:

I guess there is some confusion.  Modded and Licensed controllers with rapid fire triggers should NOT be allowed in online play.  IMO the player using them online should get a ban.  I am NOT for anything that gives an advantage over another player.  I just want fair matches.

Not attacking your statement but MS TOU doesnt require you to use LICENCED items to use their service. You are allowed to use an unlincenced item to access / use Xbox live as long as it is authorized..

You may only access the Service with an Authorized Device or by logging into your account via the World Wide Web. You agree that: you are using only authorized software and hardware to access the Service; (ii) your software and hardware have not been modified in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads); and (iii) we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Service for the express purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification.

LICENCED means you are not buying a knockoff. It doesnt mean its Authorized. I think the Rep Conan gave a good description how licenced relates to controllers.

A rapid fire controller doesnt have to be a MODDED controller.

MODDED controllers arent allowed online.

SOME Rapid fire controllers are.

Once ANY controller becomes MODDED is ISNT allowed online.

Even I agree that an authorized rapid fire controller shouldnt be used online, just like that video above. But MS has some that ARE allowed.

Now The HORI EX2 is most likely allowed because it doesnt do the same thing as a modded controller and the HORI most likely doesnt give it an advantage online. Thats basically what the MS Rep said too. Only thing is the HORI doesnt do what cheaters want it to do so they go for one that is NOT allowed.

I think we have miscommunicatio as to want you FEEL about allowable controllers and what the rule is. OR its more of you may be mixing up "the three types" of controllers I mentioned on page one of this thread.

Modded = mot allowed.

Authorized = allowed.

Not Authorized  = not allowed.

starbuckfrack Level 72

Studios