Black Ops 2: Advantages/Disadvantages of Wii/Wii U Release

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Why did you forget about the wizard polar bears from hawaii trained in the ways of the ninja? It's a crucial part of their gameplay dontcha know?

And to be honest I'd be surprised if the game came out in either Nintendo console...

PikaBoo

@Nintendon't, I like how you say that BO2 wil be a last gen game on a next gen console. This simply isn't a fact. WiiU is not exactly a next gen console, only a next gen console in the Nintendo series. There is nothing that cutting edge about it, it has roughly the same power as the XBox/PS3 the only thing new is the "iPad" controller thing which if I read the specs right isn't very cutting edge technology. It is a clunky 1 1/2" think by 8" x 12". it would be like playing a game with a encyclopedia (remember those things). With all the thin tablets out on the market why would you make one that is so thick and clumsy? To save money would be my best guess. So we are getting 4 year old hardware in a "next gen" console so that Nintendo can make sure there is a profit on every console. They haven't figured it out, there is more money selling games then there could ever be selling consoles, if the games have good support. Instead they are so focused on making their money selling consoles with very little software support. Look at the exodus of the hardcore gamer to the hardcore consoles. In Nintendo's eyes games like Mario, Zelda, and Wii Resort are hardcore games, they aren't they are kids games that adult pickup now and then when their kids are playing or are made for old school gamers who like the nostaglia. The WiiU is going to be the final nail in the coffin of Nintendo and after the real companies put out true "next gen" consoles then you will see the complete fall of Nintendo.

godmsack

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/2012_3/ZUJHD.png

This chart alone disproves any point about Nintendo being in financial jeopardy.

AZHood

The only problem with that chart AZ is that it doesn't show what has happened since.  Everyone knows that Nintendo is bleeding money right now and are in the red for this fiscal year.  But they do have a TON of cash from Wii Sales.  If Wii U fails, I do believe Nintendo has enough cash to make one more console.  The question is...will they?  Or will they go the way of Sega and simply be a gamemaker and make their lineup for the PS360 or the next generation?

I'm sorry, but IMHO Nintendo missed one important aspect.  The novelty of the Wii has worn off and the market that made the Wii so successful will NOT buy the Wii U.  Remember, Wii U sales were not driven by gamers, but by non-gamers (it was a novelty luxury item for most households).  That market has evaporated in this economy.  The only people who will be spending money on "games" are those that are "gamers".  Not soccer moms for wii fit, or elderly couples who want wii bowling, etc...  That's the mistake I think they made with this console.  But who knows?

The gamepad is a fatal mistake.  The people who use their phones/tablets to play video games (who nintendo themselves said they are targeting and trying to compete with Apple/Android..a.k.a casual gamers) do that because they can take those games anywhere (on the subway, airplane, etc...).  I don't think the gamepad will work at 32,0000 feet. 

SysEng123

You forgot to mention that they lost $533 million dollars in 2011. Also your information is skewed becasue this only show actual profit from the sale of the consoles and not the additional revenue from software and networks. Microsoft intentionally sells their console at a loss knowing that the real money is on the software side of things.

godmsack

Indeed, the chart does not show all of the finacial information at hand. However, it is worth noting that the 2012 fiscal year  is the FIRST loss ever since Nintendo entered video game consoles, which should speak for itself. Even then, in a hypothetical situation, they can suffer the same/similar losses for another 10 years before being in any real danger. The 3DS is doing well, and I don't think the initial sales for the Wii U will be falling below the sales of the Wii they had this previous year.

What will be interesting to see for their 2013 fiscal year is how many combined Wii/Wii U units they will sell, since they will be including both consoles. There are  some unknown factors still, such as the price of the console itself, but with the 3DS hitting its stride and the Wii U launch approaching, they aren't in any real danger.

@SysEng123 The way I see it, if the Wii U doesn't perform as well as they expect throughout its 5-6 year cycle, they will either have to develop their next console before the Wii U runs its course, or release an upgraded Wii U console.

AZHood

Yep, maybe.  I'm just sooooo confused by Nintendo's marketing at this juncture.  Heck, maybe they are too? lol

SysEng123

To be honest, I think it's going to be on the Wii. Here's my logic:

While the Wii U would be better in terms of support and content, not everyone will have one at the time of Black Ops 2's release date (indeed, the Wii U might not even be out at the time of Black Ops 2's release date). Therefore, if the Wii U won't be widespread when Black Ops 2 comes out, there will be less copies sold on the Wii U. Less copies means less money. Activision (like any other company) wants to get as much money as possible. So, in conclusion...

Black Ops 2 on the Wii = more profit.

Of course, the Wii U could get Black Ops 2 at a later date...but it seems unlikely.

codcanuck

Yes, but how many people who got their account hopped would really buy it again for the Wii. It's going to happen if Black Ops 2 comes out for the Wii, and we all know it. Most Nintendo players don't want the same old hackong garbage on the next Call of Duty. Also do you really think Activision and Treyarch like their games hacked without any way to stop it. I doubt it, that has already tainted their relationship with Nintendo players, and I don't think they want that again. Lastly, it costs them more money to pay employees to downgrade the game for the Wii. It takes more work than one would imagine which costs more money, and takes away from profit.

One more thing to consider is we are talking about Call of Duty, the name sells itself, do you really think it will struggle selling copies even on a new console? I'm not even close to convinced it will be on the Wii, and if it is, I certainly won't buy it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thinking along with me.

porkins_d

True. I actually would like it to be on the Wii U, but I still think it'll be ported to the Wii in the end.

Best course of events? Them porting it to both consoles to give people a choice.

codcanuck

Studios