Directx encountered an unrecoverable error?

Modern Warfare 3 Forum

Directx encountered an unrecoverable error?

I bought mw3 from steam a while back, and ever since, whenever i try to open it, i get a message that says "mw3 did not close properly last time. Do you want to run it in safe mode?" i click yes, then the screen starts flashing and after about 5 sec, i get a message that says "directx encountered an unrecoverable error. check the read-me for possible solutions."

ive tried re installing directx, updating all the drivers, verifying the integrity of the game cache, running it in compatibility mode and as an administrator, but so for nothing has worked. the only other thing i can thing of doing is re-installing windows, but i dont really want to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Egguar
9 REPLIES

Re: Directx encountered an unrecoverable error?

in reply to Egguar

What version of windows do you have? It might be that your current DirectX can't run the game since MW3 is for older version of DirectX. You can go to this link to download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web which has updates for DirextX version 9.0c and prior: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35.

blackrose0125

in reply to blackrose0125

I have windows 7. Ive also already downloaded the directx end user runtime and it didn't seem to do anything.

I forgot to mention my specs:

hp pavilion dv6

Intel i7 3610qm @ 2.3ghz

NVIDIA geforce gt 630m 1gb

8g memory

I Believe that it supports directx 11, but I'm not entirely sure. I've looked up videos on YouTube of people with the same CPU and graphics card and it seems to work fine for them.

also (if this helps), ghosts' multiplayer was free for one weekend and that worked fine.

Egguar

Another thing I tried was going into the nvidia control panel and making the game run on the integrated graphics, which produced the same error. I don't know if this helps but I just thought I'd let you know.

Egguar

in reply to Egguar

The game doesn't run doesn't run with the integrated graphic card of the computer. The recommendation that I can give you is for the game is to use a dedicated hard drive.

blackrose0125

What do you mean put it on a dedicated hard drive? Like take a new external hard drive and download it on to that?

Egguar

in reply to Egguar

Sorry. What I meant was a dedicated graphics card.

blackrose0125

I Have an nvidia GeForce gt 630m and it wasn't working on that.

Egguar

in reply to Egguar

I have some suggestions. Please try to disable your background applications by following these steps: Programs Which May Interfere with Steam - General Troubleshooting - Knowledge Base - Steam Support and try to do this afterwards: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Hope these helps.

Mhajun

in reply to Egguar

Hi,

A support case was created for you and you should be contacted shortly by a Customer Support Representative, if you haven't been already. You can view and update your case at the Activision Support website. After logging in, go to "My Support" then "My Cases".

Thanks,

^KJ

Community Coordinator

Studios